collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hoochie or Squeeze Me??  (Read 7397 times)

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
Re: Hoochie or Squeeze Me??
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 12:19:41 AM »
I seldom ever bugle, but I like the sound of an Abe's. As for diaphram calls, there is this one call, cant for the life of me remember what brand, that I buy several of each year in MT. Its a smaller size call, and sounds very much like a very small cow. Im pretty well hooked on it. Its just a single latex, and a small plate. Its blue, and it works very well.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline EastWaViking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:15 AM »
Thanks everybody, one more question.  Which bite and blow, if any, sounds realistic. I have the primos Lead Cow & Calf call that I thought sounded good, until I compared it to real elk
last weekend. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:32 PM »
I'll reverse that, the only one I wouldn't recommend is the Sceery or however you spell it one.  It probably works, but I sure hate the tone.  I think sound more like a crow call. 

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »
 :chuckle: Yeah bone' I also have a collection of crappy elk calls that are best used to shock gobble turkeys in the spring!  Still a sucker for the latest and greatest tho, lol!

Offline Skinner

• Scout
  • 2007 Methow bear
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
Primos I-mak-a-da-bull-krazy.  Like the hyperlip but not as loud.  And a couple diaphrams.  I like to sound like a couple different cows!
IAFF Local 828

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 11:47:09 PM »
Bugling Bull's Who yrr Daddy cow calf call is one of the best bite and blow calls on the market - at least in my opinion!  Has a tone button to convert sound to make it quieter and get a more nasley sound out of it that those cows and bullls absolutely love! 

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »
These are all good single reed cow calls:
1.  Sleezy single reed cow call by Glen Berry   
2.  Woods wise single reed
3.  Carlton single reed
4.  Primo single reed

I have never tried the Rocky's single reed... 

Hand held squeese me call can do half cow calls it is a little harder with the Hoochie Mama.   

These are all easy to operate and gives you more voices to use in the woods.
275 down 2

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »
When you guys say bite and blow calls are you referring to the various estrus whine type calls?

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
I use several different bite and blow calls, primos and Berry makes around my neck, never been able to get the hang of a diaphragm call, I also carry a squeeze me call in my pocket and many time qill give it a squeeze in one direction while blowing the mouth call in a different direction to give the impression of multiple different elk that are calling.  I think as a stand alone cow call either the Hoochie or the Squeeze me are not terribly good calls, not that guys haven't killed elk using them, but don't feel they would ever be my "go to" call.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline mason lake

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
how did your scouting trip go in tucannon unit

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
I posted some pictures on page one of "scouting tucannon 1014" in this same forum.

Saw a decent amount of elk, nothing huge, but I know they are there!

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 11:15:07 PM »
If I had to use only one call it would be the Sleezy Cow Call. It's tempermental around spit sticking the reed. I carry two for this reason if I spit stick it while working a bull. I can even get a squealy bugle out of it, but it sounds pretty bad. After Glen Berry's stupid poaching *censored* he did in Idaho I was worried he would go belly-up so I bought 10 of his Sleezy cow calls, but it sounds like he's keeping his head above water. It also makes a great predator dying rabbit call.

I use diaphagm calls for bugling and cow calling; Primos blue single palate plate for cow calling.                                   

I use Big Bull productions black triple, Quaker Boy Herd bull double for bugling and I'll always buy 4 or 5 other brands before season and *censored*can half of them for bad fit or bad sound.

I lost my bugle tube last year in Oregon so I bought one of Rocky Jacobson's bugle tubes this season, so far I'm real happy with the sound and quality of the tube. I usually use a chunk of 1 1/2 ABS, but this year I'm getting all fancy.

I bought a Hoochie Momma and have used it but only mixed it in with my other cow calls to create herd sound. It's allright but I won't replace it when I lose it, which I always end up doing. I'll carry my Abe and son bugle head for locating and just to change it up if I'm going back after a bull I have already worked with my diapragm call. Sceery's are good cow calls but after I lost mine I never replaced it. I always want 4 or 5 different cow sounds just to see what the bull will bite on.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal