collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How high is too high?  (Read 2611 times)

Online Hunter mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
How high is too high?
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:29:03 PM »
I've read everything I can find about tactics for the high buck but...

How high is too high?  I'm on a nice area that is flat and pretty open and big enough to hunt around a little bit.  The whole setup is around 6000-6500 feet (Olympics, so pretty much as high as it gets in the wilderness areas).  If it stays snow-free do you think it could be productive?  How far from the tree-line/cover can I expect to see something or does it matter much?  There should be a water source close by, but I need boots on the ground to confirm...

Thanks for the input... wish I had time to just live in the woods so I could get more figured out in person.  I'm pretty much losing sleep until my next scouting trip because my original spot is pretty much a bust!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: How high is too high?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »
yes...you can actualy get too high...at least on the Oly Pen because of the Park...once you know you are not in the Park, make sure to look around for food, water, and cover...if all 3 are there then there are animals...but one thing to think about is that if you stay at the elevations with berries you will have one heck of a great bear hunt! Guys in our high hunt camp like the combo thing as it makes it more interesting. Oh, and there should be no shortage of water on the Oly Pen...but I still recommend a water filter. I use the Katydn (sp?) gravity filter as it makes it super easy to filter your water while taking a power bar break...good luck with your hunt, and at that elevation you should see a lot of those foreign mountain goats!

G-C-R
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal