collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Building a lay-down gun chest  (Read 4623 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Building a lay-down gun chest
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:32 AM »
I have a space in one of our closets that would make a great spot for a lay-down gun chest. The space is at the back of a closet that mirrors our roof line, so the angle of the roof comes towards you as you walk in the closet. Now the space is basically wasted. We have a kid coming and the wife wants all firearms "secured". First thought was buy a safe, well the one I want isn't in the budget, which lead me down the path of figuring out some sort of plan to build a lockable chest out of wood.

Any thoughts on what I should consider? Off the top of my head, it needs to lock (and open quickly) and the closet gets hot as heck in the summer so insulation of some sort would be nice. I am storing rifles and shotguns in cases and probably my ammo cache.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
Re: Building a lay-down gun chest
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
I understand that this is not what you want to hear but you are better off getting a real safe and having it in a different room and you can get a long gun or pistol lock that bolts to your wall in your closet so you can still access your gun quickly. honestly you can drop 1000 dollers on a good safe, if you have to go get a line of credit loan for it you would only be paying like $50 a month on it for a min payment. I just think that it is way to easy for a house to get broken into and someone to steal your guns and or when your kid or his friends really want to get into a wood gun cabenet they will

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
I understand that this is not what you want to hear but you are better off getting a real safe and having it in a different room and you can get a long gun or pistol lock that bolts to your wall in your closet so you can still access your gun quickly. honestly you can drop 1000 dollers on a good safe, if you have to go get a line of credit loan for it you would only be paying like $50 a month on it for a min payment. I just think that it is way to easy for a house to get broken into and someone to steal your guns and or when your kid or his friends really want to get into a wood gun cabenet they will

What's the gun safe thing you posted here called. That looks like a great way to have a gun ready at any moment, with the ability to lock it up too. I'd love to have one of those!
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
I can't remember the name but I think cabelas has them online. They also have one for pistols that is sweet

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal