collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: cast iron  (Read 11742 times)

Offline Bama76

• Nonconformist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: cast iron
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
Even though I'm late also, let me chime-in since I love Cast Iron.  If you can wait or don't have time to go camping or nowhere to build a fire. Soak the cast in a tub of white vinegar in your garage and it will remove all rust etc.  It does take some time though. The fast track is to buy some phosphoric acid at the Hardware store, perfectly safe, it's in all sodas and won't kill you or blind you like muriatic acid.  Be warned that phosphoric acid smells horrible when it reacts with iron.  I think you can add a current by dropping leads from a car battery and it will make the process go even faster, though I've never tried the eloctrolysis method mysellf
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »
I have about 45 different types and styles of cast iron I mostly use a 8", 12" frying pans a then 10" and a 14" dutch oven and one 10" flat bottom bean pot. To keep them from going sour on you make sure you have an air gap and wipe them with a mixture of vinegar and water (25v -1h2o)this will reduce the odor. If you still have the odor after storage wipe them down with the same mixture. I keep a spray bottle in my hunting gear and one on the kitchen counter to wipe down my butcher block prior to each use. This recipe has been used to counter bacteria since the Civil War and works great. I will also cut the blood from your hands after cleaning game.

My Grandma was a true believer in her Apple Cider Vinegar, for "All that Ails you".....(from sore throats to killing Dandelions out on the front lawn.)

Grumpy, If I am understanding you right, before storing your Cast Iron away, you Spray it with your "Vinegar/ Water Solution?" 
It sounds like a good idea, but I wanted to make sure I heard you right so I don't cause everything to rust up before I use them again. :rolleyes: :dunno:
Doug
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
You can, use the mixture when the oil/grease smells rancid. Always store dry. I use a 50-50 mix on everything. This post has been around a long time, like us  :chuckle:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
Grumpy, Thanks for the Tip on using your Vinegar soak to keep our Cast Iron smelling sweet. I'll make sure to dry it off good before putting it away.
This Thread is an Oldie but still a Goodie.
 I understand that soaking your feet in Vinegar can make them Smell better.
 So if you have a Big Cast Iron Pot to clean up, perhaps one could kill two birds with one stone by doing both at the same time (so as not to waste all that Vinegar Solution!)  :chuckle:
Doug

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
 :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]