collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1st year duck hunting  (Read 6447 times)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: 1st year duck hunting
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
If you ever make it over to the Tri-cities, let me know.  I have a few duck decoys and some old school goose floater decoys that I will give you and your boy to add to your collection. 

Good luck this season.  Another thing to buy with your duck call is a lanyard.  Make sure the lanyard has two drops per call on it.  One drop goes to the barrel of the call, the other to the insert.  That way when your boy is playing around and the call comes apart, you dont lose half the call in the water. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:15:51 AM by 92xj »
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »
When learning to call make sure you call sparingly.  Often a only a quack or two is far better than the hail call everyone and their brother is blowing.  Also, you will kill more ducks by getting movement in your spread than you will with a duck call.  Get a spinner and a jerk string setup for the calm days.  Most importantly, figure out where birds are landing and put your decoys there.  Being where the birds want to go is infinitely more important that what decoys you use, what you put out, what calls you blow, etc.  If you put your spread where the birds want to be you will tons of birds.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:02:15 AM »
When learning to call make sure you call sparingly.  Often a only a quack or two is far better than the hail call everyone and their brother is blowing.  Also, you will kill more ducks by getting movement in your spread than you will with a duck call.  Get a spinner and a jerk string setup for the calm days.  Most importantly, figure out where birds are landing and put your decoys there.  Being where the birds want to go is infinitely more important that what decoys you use, what you put out, what calls you blow, etc.  If you put your spread where the birds want to be you will tons of birds.

:yeah: All of this is good info.

In Washington, we can't use electronics for decoys so be aware of that.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline mrmoskillz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:37 AM »
Great info guys keep it coming! 92xj that is very nice of you to offer that to a kid you have yet to meet and shows what kind of guy you are.  I would be willing to pay you for them and the shipping cost.  Let me know how much it will cost to ship and pm me you address and I'll send you a check then you can ship them if you want.  If you dont want to ship i understand i hate the post office lol

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
Let me see what I can figure on Plan A.  Shipping will be plan B. 
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline fisheral87

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
Skillz,

On the duck call topic, I bought one of the primos "wench" calls. It is loud and IMO would be better suited for open water or real windy conditions. (This may be good on the lake you are planning to hunt) This year I picked up one of the new Duck Commander triple reed calls for $40. Not the cheapest call, but the tone and ability to make those low ducky single quacks for me was worth the $$$. And I can still get loud if need be.

Just another option. There are a ton when it comes to calls.

P.S. I always give them a chance to get up off the water, but they don't always take it.
"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal