collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight, stuck breach plug  (Read 16503 times)

Offline GEARHEAD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Knight, stuck breach plug
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
well i couldnt find anything when searching so posting this. just bought a knight disc extreme, prior to first shoot, i took it apart cleaned everything and pulled and greased the breach plug. got 8 shots thru it, and decided to clean it, before doing more shooting, and found that the breach plug is stuck, i used every tool i could get my hands on at the range, without any success, using the supplied wrench of course too.

Q:  any ideas.

i'm afraid to force the issue, as the season is almost here, i did get it sighted in, and its right on. i'm certain i can get a shot or two or more thru it if i leave it as is, and can remove the nipple.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Knight, stuck breach plug
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:14 PM »
  Put a small screwdriver through the hole in the tool for leverage.  Mine is always tight after i shoot.  I just snug it, then give a little more when i put mine together.  Be sure to use plenty of the grease.

Offline marty

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »
 :yeah:

I only put my nipple and breach plug in hand tight and use gorrilla grease and never have an issue. Use the screw driver and it should come out!

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »
I have had this happen multiple times even though I load the plug up with grease and barely hand tighten it. Especially if I forget to losen it while it is still warm from shooting. The only way I was able to get the plug out was by putting the barrel in a bench vice and using a heavy duty wrench and socket to break it loose. I cut piece of rubber automotive hose the long way and wrap it around the barrell to protect it in the vice.

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
thanks guys, regarding the tools, yeah they were all levers, i put thru the tool, screw drivers etc, even aided with pliers, got real primal on it. Best idea i got, is like j, said. hate to do it, thinking on waiting till post season maybe. when i replaced it after greasing it,before taking it out today,  i remember thinking, dont put it in to tight, did it by hand, then O.C. got the best of me, and i snugged it, but just a tiny bit. last time i do that. kinda like replacing an oil filter i guess. atleast i got a fouled barrel, and its dead on at 100. so i guess things could be worse.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
Dont worry about it. Go hunt. When the seasons over pour a little 30W down the barrel and let it sit in a corner for a month.

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
Over tightening could be your issue then the fouling and heat do the rest.... I put my breech in hand tight... the nipple a hair tighter.... And use a quality breech grease... But don't over do it.....

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »
Could spray some break free down the barrel for a few days then put a low temp torch to it.  Kind of how I get things off (breech plugs, axle nuts, lugs).

Offline Natas5150

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:55:34 AM »
That's a tough call on leaving it in until hunting season is over. I would try and get it free sooner. The longer you wait and continue to use the muzzy it may become worse. Try some of the methods of removing it others have told you to get it free. And when you do get it free be very liberal with greasing the breech as well as the nipple, heck I would maybe even go as far as replacing the breech altogether. Worse case and you cant get it out take it to a gunsmith and perhaps they can do it for ya.  :dunno:

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
well i couldnt find anything when searching so posting this. just bought a knight disc extreme, prior to first shoot, i took it apart cleaned everything and pulled and greased the breach plug. got 8 shots thru it, and decided to clean it, before doing more shooting, and found that the breach plug is stuck, i used every tool i could get my hands on at the range, without any success, using the supplied wrench of course too.

Q:  any ideas.

i'm afraid to force the issue, as the season is almost here, i did get it sighted in, and its right on. i'm certain i can get a shot or two or more thru it if i leave it as is, and can remove the nipple.

I am not sure if you have solved your problem or not at this point.  But that stuck breech plug should not be a real huge problem provided you have the time to work with it.

Suggestions - it sounds like you are using the breech plug tools that Knight provides - I would suggest that you use a 1/4" ratchet, with a long extension and a 7/16" deep socket to install and remove the BP...

The upper left hand picture in this composite shows the setup that I use...

Of course this does not help you get the nipple out - you do have to use a factory tool for that.

But to get the stuck plug out you might try this it has worked for me more than once.  Remove the barreled action from the stock.  Take the bolt out and remove the trigger assembly - one allen head screw... And since you are probably in Washington and do not have a scope on it that helps... Boil a pot of water and when it is boiling set the reciever in the hot water for several minutes, it would even help if you could pour some down the barrel.  After several minutes in the water the reciever should be well heated and with the tools on hand you should be able to remove the plug.  The heat should cause the barrel to expand and allow water to loosen the burnt powder residue and things should once again unscrew.

Make sure you dry everthing real well - re-assemble-clean and you are goo to go.

Hope this mght help...
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
I had the same thing happen with my Disc Extreme.  I tried everything I could with the givin tools, it just wasnt cutting it.  I soaked it with kroil and WD 40 for a few days, after that I used a 1/4' ratchet with a deep 7/16 socket with a cheater bar attached, set the rifle on the floor to get a little more leverage and it finally came apart.  Good luck!

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
thanks again guys...got the extension and socket ready to go, just worried about damaging, and timid about removing the barrel from the stock this close in, as i only have one day to shoot if i get it removed and replaced. i'll gitr done one way or ta other. thanks again. good luck to you all.

btw, only got 9 shots thru it, but i got near 1 inch groups at 50 yards, and placed two shots at 4oclock just one and two inches from a 2inch bullseye at 100.  triple7 ffg 100gr w/ 250 gr spitfires. couldnt experiment, but i believe this should down a deer at 100 i hope.

Offline marty

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
I take my action out of the stock every time i clean my gun always shoots the same. :twocents:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
Kroil.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
I have a Knight Bighorn Mag, and there have been times I thought I'd never get that breech plug out.  I've generally been successful in soaking the plug from both sides with muzzleloader solvent for a few hours, and then using increasing force on the breech plug to get it turning.  I hate to admit this, but I've even used a hammer to tap on the screwdriver that is inserted into the breech plug tool to knock things loose.  I like the suggestions from the other guys on this thread. 

By the way, I'm getting serious deer fever, and looking forward to the opener a week from tomorrow!!!  Good luck to all of you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]