collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tiger Mountain?  (Read 25760 times)

Offline janttihunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/david.jantti
Tiger Mountain?
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »
Im hunting Muzzy/Deer/Elk and am pretty much out of places to hunt do to the fire restrictions....Does anyone know if I can hunt Muzzy in Tiger mountain?? I have to stay in GMU 454 though cant go over to Taylor Mountain theres no early muzzy there..

I give you guys who gre up here ALLOT of credit!!!Between the regs and the terrain...If you guys ever came over to the East coast where I grew up you would think it was easy.....

Anyway, any advice or info on Tiger Mountain or any other area close to Puyallup would be greatly apreciated...

Thanks!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Tiger Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »
There are places to hunt, however you will need to cammoflage yourself from the bunny huggers. I wouldn't wear cammo and certantly not advertise the fact that your hunting... Get off the trail as soon as you can so that you can start hunting and so you are not sharing the trail with the hikers and such.. I have not hunted that area specifically, but in those urban areas i would highly recomend some pre season scouting. If you have never been up any of the specific trails i recomend a hike with Binos so that you can get a lay of the land and not stick out like a hunter. Hope that helps. good luck!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline janttihunter

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
Ok sounds good. I work for REI so im use to the hippies lol...I would have scouted...I spent the last three months scouting and setting up my tree stand in 510..I worked my butt off and was so excited (my first year hunting in WA) untill last week I showed up and the big red fire restriction sign was there...

Thanks for your help.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »
I've spent a lot of time on all portions of Tiger. The deer and bear hunting can be good.  I've never seen an elk, or elk sign. I've heard there are elk on the lower portions of the southwestern side.

I'd go in from highway 18 for deer. Stay away from the Summit parking lot as they get overloaded with hikers and bikers.

Camo: if you hunt when a modern deer or elk season is open you'll need to wear orange.

As you probably know, all of Tiger is in a firearm restricted area. If you're hunting with a modern tag, you could use a scope and primers with your muzzleloader. If you have a muzzleloader tag, you'll need to abide by the restrictions.  Some portions of Tiger are in King County "No Shooting" zones but most of them are on the Issaquah side.  Check King County for more details.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
There are places to hunt, however you will need to cammoflage yourself from the bunny huggers. I wouldn't wear cammo and certantly not advertise the fact that your hunting...

how do i pass my bow off as a "berry basket"  :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
 :sas:  :chuckle:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
I have to stay in GMU 454 though cant go over to Taylor Mountain theres no early muzzy there..

Some of Taylor Mt is also in 454...not sure why you can't go there.??  The 454 and watershed border is close but there are areas of Taylor Mt in GMU 454.
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
I've spent a good amount of time up there riding my mtn bike trying to stay in shape for the season.  I glass a ton and never seen a single deer on Tiger Mtn. Seen a few bears though. Its really really thick. I have seen guys going in on the east side of 18 where there are no firearm restrictions just over the Tiger summit on the I-90 side of Tiger pass. I know there are areas where you can and and areas where you cannot hunt so make darn sure you do your homework prior to venturing in there.

Also you'll need a Discover Pass b/c its DNR and they will write tickets up there being its such a high profile area.

I would say that you are going to drive past a bunch of areas that are going to be better for deer along 18 on your way to Tiger from Puyallup, I live in Kent and hunt 454 closer to puyallup. You know over in C post next to Notellum  :chuckle:
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline janttihunter

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
Ok good to know. I scouted Tiger today..Really thick, not much parking and not much sign..I would love to hunt closer to Puyallup..Im just am really unsure of what I can and cannot hunt.. Ive been on gohunt, I just dont know this area all that well...

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »
have to stay in GMU 454 though cant go over to Taylor Mountain theres no early muzzy there..

Most of Taylor is in the Issaquah unit. I've lived on Tiger since 1987 and the brush is thick. The best way to hunt it is to own land and have apple trees in your yard. I've put hundreds (if not thousands) of miles on Tiger and Taylor over the years. The biggest blacktail buck I've ever touched was a road kill on Iss-Ho rd. Two of us strong healthy guys could not lift it. It was like trying to lift a cow elk. Cascade blacktails are big! Finding them is a big chore! Finding a fully mature one is like finding a needle in a .  .  .  well, you get the picture.
I know a guy on Mitchell hill that whitled 127lbs of meat off of a buck he harvested in his yard. I've shot a few big mulies but only two of them gave me 100lbs of meat. I've seen cascade blacktails bigger than any mulie I've laid eyes on but they are extremely rare. I hold out hopes for the real big one some day.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline janttihunter

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Honestly I would love to get a trophy buck but would be 100% happy with a frezzer full of meat!! Its my first year hunting here, I usually bow hunt but moved from the east coast and couldnt bring all my stuff.So I figured Muzzy would be next best thing..

Ive read twp Deer and two Elk tactic books...Scouted two great spots(both are closed down because of dry weather) Found another spot that was loaded with sign, then found out it was about 500 feet past the GMU line....Went up to Tiger Mountain yesterday..Was loaded with people and not allot of sign..And went to Ashford to Skate Creek road this morning. Looked on Gmaps, found a couple natural funnels and a clear cut, Drove 2 hours to the spot to find the clear cut was prob 10 years old and thick...Plus I was thinking with lack of sign in there deer are prob over the park line and wont move out of the park till it snows.

I had my spot for deer in GMU 510, I was really really excited because I found it myself and was only about an hour drive.

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »
Yeah the Tiger area is super thick and there doesn't seem to be too many deer in there based off my observations which has been 30 or so rides/hikes in there. I hunt the 510 unit as well, my guess is that it will rain and you should be fine to hunt the spot you scouted. Good luck!
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »
Today on Tiger.  Tons of bear sign, lots of deer sign.  Saw a couple nice blacktails.

[smg id=11683]
[smg id=11684]
[smg id=11685]
[smg id=11686]
[smg id=11687]

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline janttihunter

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
Oh nice pics! Looks like a good area!!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
Boyd Iverson's Blacktail Trophy Tactiscs 2 reat that to kill blackies.

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10