collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Colorado unit 65....  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Colorado unit 65....
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
Thoughts?
I just got invited on a rifle hunt from 3-11 Nov in unit 65. All I need to supply is chow and a tag. Everything else is established (cabin).

I am curious as to thoughts and experiences. I love hunting, but also am trying to save for another house, and could use the 1K i figure it would cost if its not worth it.

I have googled a bunch, but haven't found out much about the unit. Stats show about 30% success for cows, and 20+ for bulls.

The dudes i am going with have owned the cabin for a long time, and seem to be much more passive hunters than I. I get the "its a great hunt" from them, and though they are great people, I haven't seem much success.  I figure if any group would have any clue in that area it would be on here.

Just curious...
Thanks in advance
WB

Offline furbearer365

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Colorado unit 65....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »
All you can do is go and decide if it is worth it to do it again or not.  I hate the harvest reports because you dont know why someone shot one or why they didnt.  Lets say the harvest numbers were 30%.  That doesnt necassarily mean the other 70% didnt have a chance at animals.  The other 70 could be residents and didnt find what they are looking for and passed 10 bulls that you would gladly shoot on opening day.  I look at the harvest reports for the area we deer hunt in Montana and i cant believe only that many are filling there tags.  We tagged out last year in two days.  I say bite the bullet for a year and if it doesnt pan out, then you know and dont go next year.  But it could be awesome, and the guys you with are just not good at sealing the deal.

Offline ElPasoCounty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »
I've been a Colorado Resident since 1999 and have hunted the state since 2002...Like many people I look at the harvest statistics and use them as a guideline when choosing an area. From driving through GMU 65 it looks like a pretty good area. 

Although I haven't hunted 65 I fish it in the summer regularly. Elk are in there.

One of the areas I hunt has a lower published success rate than that. With that being said I see elk every time I'm in my area. The trick is to go where other hunters don't want to go. Start looking two terrain features off the road. Many hunters in Colorado run the roads and the easily accessed areas looking to fill their tag and the elk will move into those harder to access areas...be there waiting on them. I do it every year.

Snow Pack will have a lot to do with it too. If there's no snow look high also.

Are you hunting off of US 50 somewhere or the south end?

Good Luck.

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
To be perfectly honest I dont know. I love to hunt, and was basically asked to join. Of course I said yes.... I have killed several bulls, so I know how to hunt, but of course every area is different... Thanks a bunch...
WB

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1