collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131701 times)

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 07:13:57 AM »
I'll try this out.  I've never rifle hunted deer and have the multi season permit this year.  Can someone point me in the right direction on where to shoot a nice whitetail maybe.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »
I do still need advice so anyone willing to lend some PM me or e-mail me.

I also read that since the gates have been opened at area 621 by Duck and Hamma for a long time that the deer there simply skedaddled and there aren't any left to hunt except up in the high mountains where my Pop's cant get to or walk in.

Any help here?

Watch for deer tracks in trails and around any clearcuts that are starting to grow back, when you find an area with deer sign, set him there watching while you go hiking or whatever you want to do while he watches.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline koolminx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchens.5
    • Classy K Auto
  • Groups: NAHC NAFC
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
We figured on doing that, but only found 2 clear cut's that don't have 15 foot tall trees planted every 7 inches...

I'm hoping for the best.  We got 5 pushers for him and can likely rouse something up for him to get unless the bucks are way up high.

I'll report in on Sunday night or Monday as to our success or otherwise. :)
Those who assume that I assume are going to eventually approach the conclusive event where their conclusion will be that I'm not assuming anything!

Offline ZachG

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
I'm still desperately trying to find somewhere to hunt this weekend. I'm down for upland or waterfowl, but I go to school in Spokane and am lost as to what the hunting situation looks like here. If anyone would like to help out a young excited hunter with leads on private or public land that I could gain access to, I would greatly appreciate it! I am a very ethical hunter and have a few years experience hunting on the West Side. Thanks a ton!

Zach

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
I'm still desperately trying to find somewhere to hunt this weekend. I'm down for upland or waterfowl, but I go to school in Spokane and am lost as to what the hunting situation looks like here. If anyone would like to help out a young excited hunter with leads on private or public land that I could gain access to, I would greatly appreciate it! I am a very ethical hunter and have a few years experience hunting on the West Side. Thanks a ton!

Zach

Your best bet for upland would probably be to head out towards Moses Lake area. There is some WDFW land around Davenport as well. There is just not much public land around Spokane to hunt upland. Maybe someone else can give you tips, but this is where I go.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline nwpentax

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »

The way I understand it deer areas are usually different boundaries and often smaller in size than a GMU, the reason for the deer areas is to allow hunting during a special season within a specific area that has different boundaries than a GMU.

I don't know those GMU's so someone else will have to offer help with that.

Thanks for the info bearpaw!  I didn't know if it corresponded to WDFW's game statistics or what. 

Anyways, now a lot of my plans are up in the air because all the tree farms are closed for extreme fire danger.  I am assuming that this will push most of the already overcrowded hunters that were planning to hunt in those areas into the surrounding DNR land in areas 667, 654, and 653.  It sounds like going east over the mountains (which was my other idea) is kinda the same story.  Not sure where to go now.  Any help on even just an area that is somewhat open and unaffected by the fire closures that I could hunt for deer in would be appreciated.

Offline pjb3

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

The way I understand it deer areas are usually different boundaries and often smaller in size than a GMU, the reason for the deer areas is to allow hunting during a special season within a specific area that has different boundaries than a GMU.

I don't know those GMU's so someone else will have to offer help with that.

Thanks for the info bearpaw!  I didn't know if it corresponded to WDFW's game statistics or what. 

Anyways, now a lot of my plans are up in the air because all the tree farms are closed for extreme fire danger.  I am assuming that this will push most of the already overcrowded hunters that were planning to hunt in those areas into the surrounding DNR land in areas 667, 654, and 653.  It sounds like going east over the mountains (which was my other idea) is kinda the same story.  Not sure where to go now.  Any help on even just an area that is somewhat open and unaffected by the fire closures that I could hunt for deer in would be appreciated.

I'm still going if you want to go

Offline iRem

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
Thanks to Gasman I'm on my way to get checked in on JBLM to gain access for some new duck hunting grounds!

But, I'm still looking for some public land to jump shoot or to set out a few decoys to get my kids into waterfowl hunting! They are very excited to learn how to call and be part of the experience that I get to enjoy every year! So any additional info on public or private, would be greatly appreciated. I live in Puyallup and I'm willing to do some home work to make things happen for them!

I'm not hunting the opener this year and usually go out on the Delta with my buddies but I need to change what I do now that my kids are getting older and taking a interest in it as well.

Thanks Paul

Offline SquirrelHunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »
JBLM late season is awesome for waterfowl, can get crowded at times but worth it. Good luck to ya, im headed out to fight the crowds this weekend out there.
"Incoming bullets have the right away"

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
We figured on doing that, but only found 2 clear cut's that don't have 15 foot tall trees planted every 7 inches...

I'm hoping for the best.  We got 5 pushers for him and can likely rouse something up for him to get unless the bucks are way up high.

I'll report in on Sunday night or Monday as to our success or otherwise. :)

There are a few good places I can think of around shelton that would be good for your dad. Problem is they are all locked up currently but they will open soon with some rain. If your dad is a good shot (seems like most are) and patient I think he could have a decent chance at something. If you still need help after the weekend shoot me a PM I've got one spot in particular I'm thinkin of that would be awesome for him. It's one of my sit and watch after work but don't feel like walking spots, and a good one.

Offline koolminx

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchens.5
    • Classy K Auto
  • Groups: NAHC NAFC
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
His vision is getting crappy and can't shoot without a scope on his long gun, but he's still hell on wheels with his 6 shooter. :)

If 621 don't pan out I'll be back beggin for mercy.  Also, we might just be able to get him his handicapped accessible license, but that depends on his doctor today and Olympia at the DFW when we get the paperwork back.
Those who assume that I assume are going to eventually approach the conclusive event where their conclusion will be that I'm not assuming anything!

Offline eburkett

• Tracker
    • https://www.facebook.com/ErikDBurkett
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:16 PM »
I really enjoy hunting land like green diamond. Are there other logging areas or even green diamond anywhere within 20-30 of lacey/olympia area. All the land such as this is up towards shelton. Just trying to find something closer to home.

Offline stvnsnwdy

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
New to the area, been reading post all day. Is there any good Elk or Bear hunting on or around JBLM. I am willing to travel but prefer to stay around the area. Please PM if you have a ok place or any good info.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor those protected will never taste.

He who shed blood with me will forever be my brother."

Offline prperrigo

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: wac, nra
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
who's hunting 4601?

Offline tagemnbagem

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »
I am looking to do some late season archery elk hunting on the west side. Any ideas of where to go? This is only my 3rd time hunting elk so I am not too familiar with elk areas. Thank you!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]