collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bleached Skull  (Read 9805 times)

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
Bleached Skull
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
Okay my freezer still has a deer head in it from last year, how do I go from this whole head to a nice white bleached skull?

Dave
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Bleached Skull
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
I boil the heck out of it, being as careful as possible not to boil the antler portion of it as it discolors your antlers.  I then use a chemical that I promised I would look up for Jackelope and haven't yet, mixed to a paste with hydrogen peroxide.  It leaves a very even nice white bleached look without using the bleach and without getting bleach on your antlers.  One thing you have to watch is overbleaching your skull which breaks down the porous bone.  Its also hard to get an overall even appearance.   You can bleach them then use this chemical, but the peroxide does a wonderful job.  I'll look that up and give you a source to get it if interested.  I'm sure Michelle has some better insight, and I know polarbear has turned out a nice skull or two.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »
I do all mine and my friends (a couple hundred by now)
Remove as much meat (eyes tongue pallate etc) as you can.  Do not boil!!!  Simmer!  Boiling for a long time will set the grease into the skull and make it tough to get out and stink.  Get the water to a rolling boil and then turn it down to a simmer.  Add a couple cups of sal soda (taxidermy suppy) and a little Dawn dish soap.  The sal soda will loosen the meat and the soap will cut grease.  Place the skull in and soak for 1/2 hour and remove.  Use dental pics, exacto knives, scalpels etc to cut, peel and scrape the meat off.  If you have to put it back into the water change it out with fresh so the skull does not soak up grease.  When you have it all picked clean rince it off and let it dry.  You have to get this stuff from a hairdresser or taxidermy suppy.  Mix Clairol Basic White 2 powdered hair bleach with 40 volume peroxide.  Mix it until it is like whipped cream and paint it on the skull.  Be sure to set it on a white towel or paper towels, the mix can draw color out of stuff and discolor your skull.  Leave it on until it dries.  Once the mix dries it is no longer active so keep it in a warm damp place.  (no, not there) Rince with cold water (hose it off) and let dry in the sun for a day or two.  Seal with a clear spray sealer and you are done.  It will get a little whiter once it dries completley and if it sits in the sun for a little while.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
I just bury the whole skull in the flower garden with the antlers sticking up thru the soil. By spring, pretty clean, a simple hosing out, then dry it out, then peroxide it...worked for me...  wife wasn't too happy though...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 06:03:25 PM »
 :) Sounds like all good information!

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »
I haven't seen any mention of removing the brains, if you don't do it before boiling it is a real biatch later and it stinks to high heaven.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »
I simmer the head first to loosen the membrane and then hit it with the pressure washer right in the hole.  It will blast those brains and mambrane right out and they come out in chunks instead of a big glob of snot that tends to always land on your face.  It works good on the nasal cavity as well.  Make sure to get every piece of junk out of every hiding spot on the head or it will eventually stink and attract bugs.  I even use dental picks to clean the stuff from between and inside the teeth and scrape off the black build-up.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:58 PM »
Works either way.

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:00:43 PM »
Thank you all for the help. and I thought it would be a good topic for others.

Miles, I am talking about doing the whole skull.

Dave
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »
When I did my bear skull, I got all the meat off I could, boiled it for a bit...poked a knife by the base of the skull where it connects to the neck and sliced out alot of the brains (boiled, repeated process)..then once it was all clean I painted on hair lightener (perioxide) from a style salon. I placed it in the sun for a week or two, continuing to paint the stuff on and it turned out great. Doesnt stink, a nice white, im happy with it.

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 01:08:01 AM »
It's not worth the trouble to do it yourself anymore. ;)

I'm not sure how much it costs to have a deer skull done, but I have all my skulls done professionally (it's 25 cents for a muskrat).
He uses beetles, so theres no heat to break down the bone or cause the teeth to fall out, and no grease problems.
They are finished off with a chemical solution, and come out a beautiful natural color.

PM me if you'd like the contact info.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

sisu

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 06:37:30 AM »
It's not worth the trouble to do it yourself anymore. ;)

I'm not sure how much it costs to have a deer skull done, but I have all my skulls done professionally (it's 25 cents for a muskrat).
He uses beetles, so theres no heat to break down the bone or cause the teeth to fall out, and no grease problems.
They are finished off with a chemical solution, and come out a beautiful natural color.

PM me if you'd like the contact info.

Krusty
All I want to know is what species beetle!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 08:51:58 AM »
Dermistid beetles.  They are readily available on-line but are a pain in the butt to maintain, plus they stink to high heaven!  They do a great job in just a couple of days but are not practical unless you are doing it professionally.  I looked into getting a colny and decided that the half dozen heads that I do a year did not warrant the cost and up-keep of the critters.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »
The dermestid beetles do a darn fine job, I have been very happy with couple of bear skulls and european mounts I have had cleaned with the beetles.  But yes, would not them at my house, just dropping the skulls off at my guys house, I get nauseous....... :puke:  They do stink pretty badly...
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 09:27:57 AM »
I think my buddy paid $160 or so to have his done a couple years ago and that included a nice plque/stand that could hang on the wall or stand on a  table.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU