collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern WA Pheasant opener  (Read 10238 times)

Offline 307_BOWS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Eastern WA Pheasant opener
« on: October 13, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Is anyone going to skip the eastern Washington pheasant opener next weekend to head to South Dakota for opening weekend of the grand-daddy of all pheasant hunts? I am flying out to Wyoming next week to meet up with some friends to drive over and kill some birds for 5 days! Just curious if any one else travels over there.
If you have never hunted pheasants in South Dakota before, it is like nothing else. This is from an hour hunting last year, which was nearly a 10 year low population.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Eastern WA Pheasant opener
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »
Went to south dakota ten years ago,have been 4 more times since.10 years ago our hunt was the maximum number of hunters allowed @21 and we had 63 birds killed in 47 minutes.Not really my style for the super shootout,but we had to partake in it as the landowner puts on an opener hunt for his clients/engineers/and sales reps.He has no dogs,we hunted for free because of the supply of the dogs to put on a show for the partygoers.The rest of the week we hunted solo on his land and it was far better dogwork wise.

Offline 307_BOWS

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
Yes, I have to say that big hunting groups, although productive, aren't as much fun as smaller groups. This here was much the same way, we had 14 hunters i believe, and a few just walking with out guns and shot our limits in less than a hour like you said. Still I have to say that it is a sight to see all of the birds flushing, especially  when you get to the end of the field.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
The sheer numbers of birds airborne at one time are amazing.We hunted a crp section the guy had,he had planted a feed plot in the middle of about 5 acres of corn,when we pulled up and got out of the truck,the first door shut caused about 300 to rocket out of the corn,we got ready and headed for the corn and halfway to it another 100 or so birds took flight,when the dogs got 50 yards from the corn we had 6 dogs pointing and backing at one time.Really quite cool.My dog that first year was a pup,and he did great,got lots of points,and we got to reward him for pointing by shooting a bunch of birds over him.

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
Will be hunting SE Washington. Have got the pups onto some birds in the last couple of weeks. Can't afford to go  East to hunt. Good luck to all!!
fear no fish!!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I went to SD last year. Pretty cool to see that many birds, but all in all I would rather hunt here and have a hunt last longer than thirty minutes.  I didn't know it beforehand, but there can definitely be too many birds.  :twocents:

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:30:06 AM »
I went to SD last year. Pretty cool to see that many birds, but all in all I would rather hunt here and have a hunt last longer than thirty minutes.  I didn't know it beforehand, but there can definitely be too many birds.  :twocents:

I agree completely.  It's cool to see the "South Dakota" flush once or twice, but after that it can be like fishing in a trout pond.  Sometimes getting one bird in an entire day is a lot more fulfilling than 3 birds in 22 minutes.  Now, with that said, later season SD pheasant hunting is about as good as its going to get.  Birds are a lot more skidish and it takes a lot better dog work.  Numbers are down a little as well because of all the birds that have already been killed.  Plus you don't have to worry about the crops still being in or young birds that aren't completely colored up yet.  The crowds really die down about mid November as well.  When people ask me about SD pheasant hunting, I usually suggest going around mid Nov or later.  You can still limit every day, but you certainly won't do it in 20 minutes, and it may take all day.   Plus, you don't have to wait till noon to start hunting like you do in Oct.  I believe Nov 1st is when they move the start time to 10am.

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
I am jealous. I do not fly and the doctor has limited me to 4 hours driving.
I always wanted to hunt the Dakotas, but either it was time or money or logistics.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:27 AM »

I agree completely.  It's cool to see the "South Dakota" flush once or twice, but after that it can be like fishing in a trout pond.  Sometimes getting one bird in an entire day is a lot more fulfilling than 3 birds in 22 minutes.  Now, with that said, later season SD pheasant hunting is about as good as its going to get.  Birds are a lot more skidish and it takes a lot better dog work.  Numbers are down a little as well because of all the birds that have already been killed.  Plus you don't have to worry about the crops still being in or young birds that aren't completely colored up yet.  The crowds really die down about mid November as well.  When people ask me about SD pheasant hunting, I usually suggest going around mid Nov or later.  You can still limit every day, but you certainly won't do it in 20 minutes, and it may take all day.   Plus, you don't have to wait till noon to start hunting like you do in Oct.  I believe Nov 1st is when they move the start time to 10am.

Sometimes getting one bird in an entire day is a lot more fulfilling than 3 birds in 22 minutes. 

I totally agree.
Not dissing SD....I WILL make that trip someday but for now, I like to really "hunt" for my birds.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
I need to do it... Have never had anything like that. I've hunted 4 days now in MT and have killed a couple birds each day, missed a few too... but I am still chasing that elusive "Limit"...
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:18:06 PM »
I too have no desire to go all the way to SD just to shoot a few pheasants.  Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it seems to me more like pheasant killing than pheasant hunting.  If all I want is to kill some pheasants, I can do that at the local release site and be limited out in 20 minutes, which is what my friend and I did last Wednesday behind my setter.  Pointed 5 birds in 20 minutes.  Too easy.   They look the same, taste the same, cackle the same....

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
I too have no desire to go all the way to SD just to shoot a few pheasants.  Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it seems to me more like pheasant killing than pheasant hunting.  If all I want is to kill some pheasants, I can do that at the local release site and be limited out in 20 minutes, which is what my friend and I did last Wednesday behind my setter.  Pointed 5 birds in 20 minutes.  Too easy.   They look the same, taste the same, cackle the same....
:yeah:

I like to work for my birds... that being said every now and then I enjoy a good slaughter.
but three pheasants a day isn't enough to drag me out of WA. being involved in group hunt is even less appealing, I can do that at my local release site every saturday morning with 30 or so of my new best friends.

although I probably should go there before the population crashes for good and they institute pheasant release sites there.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
Jeeeez.. You guys are mean  :dunno: :chuckle: It would be nice to go to SD at least once  :dunno: :yeah:

Offline SpringerFan

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »
Jeeeez.. You guys are mean  :dunno: :chuckle: It would be nice to go to SD at least once  :dunno: :yeah:

You need to read some stories or talk to folks who have had wonderful hunting dogs. Steady to flush and shot. Well trained.

Took them to SD and the dog lost it's mind. Too many birds. Makes them a little crazy.

Sure, some dogs will do better. And you can say it is the training. But I know of a few dogs who were really good that went deaf.

Think I will stay more local and keep my dogs in sight. Good lord willing.

But yes, the meca of bird hunting. Only $3K per person for 3 days to hunt for 30 minutes. That is more than a Lawyer or Plumber...... :twocents: :yike: :yike: :yike: :yike:
We don't blame cars for drunk drivers......Why blame guns for violent people...

NRA, Pheasants Forever, WWESSC.....tried to join Washington for Wildlife.org but my IP is banned??? 

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »

Sure, some dogs will do better. And you can say it is the training. But I know of a few dogs who were really good that went deaf.

Tri tronics makes a hearing aid for situations like that. "can you hear me now?!"
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand