collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ebey Island Duck Hunters  (Read 34649 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Ebey Island Duck Hunters
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:13 PM »
Unfortunatley, they release the phesant in duck areas.  It would be nice to have some areas on the west side that would be upland only.  Or since they are released birds, why not open the west side season from Sept. 1st - Oct. 12th.  A good example of a pheasant only spot is the one on Bow hill.  I know it's like hunting in a forest, but it has potential, once a few more trees are removed and slash piles are burned.

But that basic idea is too simple and makes too damn much sense!  :bash: It requires no studies and computer related BS, such an easy decision that should have been done long ago!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
These hunting areas where pheasant and duck hunters both share can be handled if pheasant hunters respect the duck hunters of course, but duck hunters also need to know WHEN to use the sites to limit the conflicts that may occur. Pheasant release sites are only open between 8 am to 4 pm with typically 90% of pheasant hunters only being there 3 days a week. Typically the best time for ducks is before 8 am and after 4 pm. So until more pheasant release site only are established duck hunters need to use common sense and be happy they have the area the majority of the time and all to themselves after the pheasant season.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
Part of the problem in skagit is the state flooded upland land and was suppose to replace it. Four years ago. Never happen. Every year they have a couple of meeting about what they can't do. This year they came up with the Bow hill area. But it's private land and the neighbors are raising hell.
Bet you won't be hunting there next year.
The swan refuge at Debay would be perfect for upland. They have said so. And the swans don't use it. They are all over skagit farm land. But the dept. is to damm dumb to figure out how to do it.
And off topic when we going to get a swan season.
On topic...I hunt samish and the upland guys were there some. So what. The season will be over before the ducks get good.
We are all in this together. Stand as one.
Pheasant guys are paying 90.00 for a card. They can't afford to drive to the east side.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
Unfortunatley, they release the phesant in duck areas.  It would be nice to have some areas on the west side that would be upland only.  Or since they are released birds, why not open the west side season from Sept. 1st - Oct. 12th.  A good example of a pheasant only spot is the one on Bow hill.  I know it's like hunting in a forest, but it has potential, once a few more trees are removed and slash piles are burned.

But that basic idea is too simple and makes too damn much sense!  :bash: It requires no studies and computer related BS, such an easy decision that should have been done long ago!

you could just as easily say people duck hunt in pheasant areas. like I stated earlier there are very few release sites and countless areas for duck hunting. with the quality hunting areas there are even more pheasant free places for duck hunters.

the easiest and most basic solution is for duck hunters to stay out of pheasant release sites. go hunt any other public land that will attract ducks. go hunt private property. I can guarantee everyones hunting experience will at least be a little better for it.

if you show up at a pheasant release site during pheasant season -between 8am and 4pm- and are surprised when a pheasant hunter comes stomping through your decoys or his dog runs through your blind... or you get peppered while you are hiding in the brush your either an idjet or just don't know any better. 

the other side of the coin from the pheasant hunters perspective is: if I see a duck hunter I try and steer clear of him and give him as much space as possible. in doing so I pass up lots of potential pheasant holding area. sometimes this is the difference between bagging a bird and going home empty handed.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:17:44 PM by Stilly bay »
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 10:21:03 PM »
you could just as easily say people duck hunt in pheasant areas.

No you couldn't  :sry: It was a duck area before it was a pheasant area

countless areas for duck hunting. with the quality hunting areas there are even more pheasant free places for duck hunters.

the easiest and most basic solution is for duck hunters to stay out of pheasant release sites. go hunt any other public land that will attract ducks. go hunt private property. I can guarantee everyones hunting experience will at least be a little better for it.

Sorry, but there is not COUNTLESS areas for duck hunting. Public land for duck hunting gets packed. Especially if you don't have a boat  :yike:

It is not easy to hunt private property either. It costs a fortune, and I hardly have a penny  :tung:

I can understand you being a little upset about a fowler in a pheasant release site, but it is public land. I went pheasant hunting one year on the west side, and I feel for you guys. That license is ridiculous for the amount of birds that you get to shoot. Most of the guys that hunt pheasant release sites for ducks don't have a boat so they don't have much of a choice. Even with a boat it can get hectic  :P

If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »
you could just as easily say people duck hunt in pheasant areas.

No you couldn't  :sry: It was a duck area before it was a pheasant area

your missing my point. I don't care what came first. there are designated pheasant release sites, these are the only places you can hunt pheasants in western WA. you can duck hunt on any piece of land that is legal to hunt on, that will attract ducks. you can also duck hunt on any private land that will attract ducks if you can get permission. they don't release ducks in specific areas, all you need is water or food or both and you have a good chance at a duck if they are flying.
its few VS many.

[
countless areas for duck hunting. with the quality hunting areas there are even more pheasant free places for duck hunters.

Sorry, but there is not COUNTLESS areas for duck hunting. Public land for duck hunting gets packed. Especially if you don't have a boat  :yike:

It is not easy to hunt private property either. It costs a fortune, and I hardly have a penny  :tung:

you can put an exact number public areas to duck hunt, but when you can quantify all the  private areas to hunt ducks on the westside let me know and I will change my statement. as of now there are more than I can count. either way you can split as many hairs as you want; there are still a hell of a lot more places to hunt ducks than there are pheasant release sites over here.

also if you don't have access to a  boat and you don't have anywhere to hunt ducks than besides on the pheasant release sites, your either a rank beginner or just lazy.  granted were not overwhelmed by public opportunities for duck hunting in this state but the sun doesn't rise and set around a pheasant release site.  there are tons of private properties that will let you hunt free of charge, it just takes some effort to find them and maintain them. you might have to get shot down a few times or help a farmer out during harvest time but there are plenty of opportunities out there you just have to get off your ass and find them.

I can understand you being a little upset about a fowler in a pheasant release site, but it is public land.

on the contrary I am not upset about negotiating around duck hunters at the release sites (I have been doing it almost 20 years now) they have every right to be out there.  although I firmly believe there should be pheasant only areas, I always try to be respectful of the duck hunters and their space.

what I do get pissed about is duck hunters getting upset at the pheasant hunters for ruining their hunts.
its just common sense - would you set up your decoys in a walmart parking lot (if it was legal) and bitch about all the people getting in the way? don't come to a pheasant release site during shooting hours and bitch about pheasant hunters flaring your ducks.  :dunno: don't bitch about stray pellets when your doing your best to be invisible. :dunno: don't bitch about dogs running through your spread. its just common sense.  :dunno: come to expect it from the pheasants hunters and get over it.

its basically two different games being played on the same court at the same time and it will always cause conflicts.

in the mean time... duck hunters: if you see a pheasant hunter coming your way, wave at him or blow your call. we really appreciate it when you make yourself noticeable. :tup: so we can stay the hell out of your way and not shoot in your direction if a bird comes up. :tup:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:19:58 AM by Stilly bay »
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
Good to see that my post generated some lively discussion on the subject.  I’ll throw some more fuel on the fire.  The biggest conflicts that I have witnessed between the 2 groups were over duck hunters entering the area before 8:00am.  Pheasant hunters have long complained that the duck hunters scatter the released birds before 8:00am, driving many of them out of the hunting area. 

Note this item from WDFW web site:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/snoqualmie/Crescent%20Lake/

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Snoqualmie Wildlife Area Hunting Hours Reinstated:
Hunting hours from 8am to 4pm have been reinstated for all hunters on the following units: Stillwater, Cherry Valley, Crescent Lake. This will be in effect during the Western Washington Pheasant Season. For the rest of the hunting season normal hunting hours, half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset, will apply. For more information, contact Sergeant Kim Chandler (425) 775-1311 ext. 122

Note Ebey Island is not on the list. 

Cherry Valley is but go there any weekend morning and you will see that the duck hunters are out there well before daylight.  There are no signs at Cherry Valley posting the info above. 

Crescent Lake has such signs up and for the most part duck hunters respect this rule.  I don’t hunt Stillwater so I can’t tell you what goes on there.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
Stilly i understand what you are saying, and i personally do not hunt pheasant release sites while they are open. My point is there are ways to re-leave these issues that should be easy and cost effective but are not done. I have a friend that was shot by a pheasant hunter at the still water unit while sitting in his blind.  If you ask me it would be safer for duck hunters to be in thier blind before 8am so that the duck hunters and pheasant hunters weren't mingling.

Those listed pheasant areas are mostly turning to brambles now. They used to plant them to some degree. I was talking to someone on the waterfowl advisory group (wag) and supposedly the hang up is some BS permit for a farmer to plant corn,  :bash:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline BigFoot02

• Tracker
    • www.highlonesome-outfitters.com
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:49 AM »
I have been duck hunting ebey island a lot this year.. I've been peppered twice in the blind by pheasant hunters shooting at passing birds. I have also witnessed people sky busting ducks so they flair away from us... If you see us in the blind calling ducks with a ton of decoys in the pond, don't work the damn water edge or stand there starring at us waiting for us to disappear or something. I appreciate those pheasant hunters that have been showing respect.. That is the sports mans way. To the dude that wears the bright red jacket with an orange hood, if u pepper me one more time, I'm gonna wash ur mouth out with BBB!  >:(

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »
I have been duck hunting ebey island a lot this year.. I've been peppered twice in the blind by pheasant hunters shooting at passing birds. I have also witnessed people sky busting ducks so they flair away from us... If you see us in the blind calling ducks with a ton of decoys in the pond, don't work the damn water edge or stand there starring at us waiting for us to disappear or something. I appreciate those pheasant hunters that have been showing respect.. That is the sports mans way. To the dude that wears the bright red jacket with an orange hood, if u pepper me one more time, I'm gonna wash ur mouth out with BBB!  >:(

Wow you duck hunt with BBB ?  :yike: Those ducks must be disintegrating when you put a good shot on em!  :chuckle:
 :hunt2:
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
If you see us in the blind calling ducks with a ton of decoys in the pond, don't work the damn water edge or stand there starring at us waiting for us to disappear or something.   >:(

The water’s edge holds a lot of pheasants.  The birds will run in front of the dog until they reach a barrier such as a ditch or a pond, then they will sit tight and try to hide.  It’s just nature that the dogs will lead the orange clad army to the water’s edge.

Offline BigFoot02

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
Lol no I dont hunt with BBB just had to use bigger shot to sound painful :chuckle: and I know how pheasant hunting works. It would just be nice if they could try to avoid the one or two standing bodies of water that have duck hunters on them. Ebey island is full of little sloughs and puddles and timber edges for pheasant hunters to play. Let's work together to have equally successful hunts.. :tup:

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
I give you as much room as I can.  I stay well away from the big pond in the middle but there is no way to avoid the blind up by the tree line.  It’s the only place to cross without wading through your decoys.  I know it’s there though and never shoot toward it. 

Offline BigFoot02

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
I apprecite it. I think I actually saw you shoot your limit the other day. We got our limits too.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
Lol no I dont hunt with BBB just had to use bigger shot to sound painful :chuckle: and I know how pheasant hunting works. It would just be nice if they could try to avoid the one or two standing bodies of water that have duck hunters on them. Ebey island is full of little sloughs and puddles and timber edges for pheasant hunters to play. Let's work together to have equally successful hunts.. :tup:

I was just giving you grief!  :chuckle:
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]