collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .223 for blackbear?  (Read 24811 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: .223 for blackbear?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
I'd use a Barnes rather than a Partition, but I'm sure it would kill a bear just fine. Definitely not the caliber I would choose for bear, but if it's what I had when an opportunity at a bear came up, I'd use it (not in this state though, it's not legal).

But really, people hunt bears with archery gear, I think a 223 would be more effective than an arrow.

Apples and oranges Bobcat. The arrow kills by cutting, and more often than not leaves an ample blood trail. Bear are notorious for not leaving much of a blood trail when shot with a small cartridge such as the 223 Rem. For bear, in my opinion, The 223 Rem also is a bit in short supply of  penetration and energy .
 To the OP, in a hunting situation, absolutely not. In a survival scenario, absolutely yes.

I agree completely.
A bear, properly hit with a .223 will not leave as good of a blood trail as one properly hit with a broadhead.

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »
It's twin brother the 5.56 has killed plenty of people larger than most bears you will see on the westside not my preference, but still deadly.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
It's twin brother the 5.56 has killed plenty of people larger than most bears you will see on the westside not my preference, but still deadly.

Exactly, no one ever said it was "Their" preferred cartridge cartridge. It is very well capable of getting the job done. Some like to dramatize it and take it out of text.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
I think a .223 is a little light for bear hunting ...unless it is in a tree sitting above your head ...or you plan on shooting him below the ear , which can be easily done in the right hands  :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
I think a .223 is a little light for bear hunting ...unless it is in a tree sitting above your head ...or you plan on shooting him below the ear , which can be easily done in the right hands  :dunno: :chuckle:

No way, behind the ear! You would have to take on line shooting classes from" Snipers Hide" to be capable of such a shot. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
 :chuckle:  :chuckle: Well I learned from this Old Marine ....My dad  :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »

I wonder about questions like this ? The idea of trying to find the smallest caliber of round for whatever the quarry is , "could" it kill the animal always puzzled me.  :dunno: If I aim at something and shoot  my projectile I have to know that the animal will go down and not suffer. jmo
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »
Some guys go after wild boars with .22 cal. pellet guns  :dunno: Personally, I prefer a bigger caliber, but for those that like smaller calibers......it is just THEIR way and not mine  :twocents:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline fisheral87

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
In any hunting situation I want a affordable system that will allow me sufficient mobility and at a level of quality such that I am able engage a animal sized target at a practical distance for my skill level (subjective). The projectile should have  characteristics that will ensure a high percentage of a one shot one kill outcome that maximizes the amount of meat harvested (multiple variables, ethics, my opinion).

Correct placement of a .22lr round could kill a black bear, however, the percentages with that cartridge are significantly lower.

Hunting with lower calibers to me is not like fishing with light tackle. It comes down to the individual and the risk they are willing to accept that their choices leading up to the shot will result in a clean harvest of the animal. This is where the ethics and the individuals responsibility to understand their own system and it's inherent capabilities and shortfalls come into play.

Giving other options I would not choose .223 as a primary cartridge for black bear.

If I had an AR in the woods and was charged by a black bear, I'd light it up like the 4th, because the lower percentages would be more acceptable.
"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »
This is such a funny topic. Is the .223 the new .243 or .257? Nobody in their right mind would hunt black bear with a .223 regardless of the fact that if you heart or brain shot them, they'd die. If I met someone hunting bears with a .223, I would want to kick them... Then I'd run because they probably had an AR.  :yike:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
Itd kill a bear just fine, as stated not the most desired round. I dont know why everyone is wrapped around the fact that its a black bear. Id say 80% if bears shot are the same size or smaller than your average deer (id say most are smaller), and the upper 16% are the size of a large deer, with 4% being true 300+ bears. so it would be no different than shooting a deer with a 223, which is legal in a lot of states. I have a couple buddies that prefer the 22-250 over the 223 though. Ill stick to the 270 for everything which probably isnt preferred or recommended by most on this sight for bear or elk. 

Offline jess

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
bears are one of the toughest critters on earth i dont like trackin blood on a bear as you would if you shot one with a oversized 22!  I shoot them in the shoulders with a big gun.. And would never think of going after one with a .223 dumb idea if you ask me..

Offline bugs n bones

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA, SCI
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
I'd use a Barnes rather than a Partition, but I'm sure it would kill a bear just fine. Definitely not the caliber I would choose for bear, but if it's what I had when an opportunity at a bear came up, I'd use it (not in this state though, it's not legal).

But really, people hunt bears with archery gear, I think a 223 would be more effective than an arrow.
X2!!!!! Bears are alot tougher than people think, and speaking from plenty of experience anyone who has killed enough bears would know even if it was legal it is far from ideal and a uneducated choice!!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:44 PM »
If you shot it like you would an archery bear i think you would be OK... Bears shoulder and leg bone protect most of the heart and lungs. you have to have a broad side shot with the leg lifted with an arrow, so i would assume the same kind of shot with a .223 would be fine.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal