collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear Down! Labor Day Weekend 2008  (Read 15650 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Bear Down! Labor Day Weekend 2008
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »

Sunday August 31st

The morning started out colder then the last couple but we were up and out of camp by 5:30 am. We spread out and set up on an old cut that we saw a bear in the morning before. The cut is large but has a couple of ridges and draws that make it hard to see the whole area. We sat listening and glassing for an hour and with nothing but a doe moving, I started in with the hand call. After an hour of calling I sat and listened for about 30 minutes before heading back to the rig. Killbilly had just seen a monster bobcat and then he told me about a bear he saw at the far end of the cut heading our way. The bear never showed. It could be that I stopped calling too soon or that he found something more interesting.

So we got back to the rig and were trying to come up with a plan. It was coming up on 9 am and the sun had yet to break through the clouds. We decided to drive a ways and continue glassing. I spotted a fawn (antler less) as it was trying to mount its mother. I almost went for the camera but didn’t, then I watched as mamma licked its rear from darn near its belly all the way to the top of the tail. YUCK! Time to go elsewhere.

We drove to the end of a road in the middle of a year old cut and decide to glass it. It is all brown and completely barren. A creek runs down the middle with strips of large timber and the draws on the other side have water with some new growth. After a few minutes I had enough of this wasteland and we head out the way we came in. Partway out I thought “since we are here” and we stop to glass some more.

Killbilly heads to the left of a large slash pile and I head to the right side. As I am walking I am trying to look at the hill across the ravine and when I get near the edge I realize that below me is a little oasis in the bleakness of this unit. As I quickly swept the opening below me I immediately see a black spot in the far corner. As I focus I quickly wonder if it is a wallow with a little bit of water but then I realize it is a bear. I job back to the truck to grab my rifle and tell Killbilly that there is a bear down there. I load a couple rounds and start looking for a rest and then I realize that it seems to be sleeping. As I head back to the truck for a range finder Killbilly asks, “Where is it”. I said, “It is down there sleeping”. He says, “sleeping?” and I say, “Yea, sleeping, I think”.

It seems as if I have a lot of time so I range it and it was 219 yards at a pretty steep angle. I am still looking for a solid rest when Killbilly asks if I want to shoot off his shoulder. I decline and set up on a pecker pole that is angled perfectly. Killbilly asks if I want him to back me up. This is a question we don’t normally ask so it caught me off guard at first but I quickly agree. There is still no movement from the bear as I rest my sites on the spine between the shoulder blades and squeeze the trigger. I couldn’t see the vapor trail but I could hear the bullet as it sped on its way. Thwack! Still no movement from the bear. I chamber another round and squeeze off another. Boom!…… Thwack! Now I thought I saw the head shaking but nothing more. Is the bear hit or is he still groggy? I held a tad high and Boom! Killbilly says, “that was high, it kicked up dirt above it”. We tell each other that we saw some movement, but still don’t know if it is hit or not. I know that I have to go down there to check, but I didn’t really want to pack my rifle there and back. I mention that I am going to put one more in it and I am going to aim a hair low. Boom!……. Thwack! Still no significant movement from the bear. We were starting to wonder if the bear was already dead and only moving when hit.

I get a couple game bags tied to my packboard, grab Killbilly’s pistol and my camera and I take off over the side. I took the direct route as Killbilly looked for a suitable exit route. At about 50 yards I drew the pistol while looking for any signs of life, or should I say of recent life. As I got closer I could tell it wasn’t breathing and then I noticed two streaks of blood dripping down its shoulders. I took off my packboard and snapped a couple pictures as Killbilly made his way down.

We take a few more pictures (they don’t do it justice) but because we had our work cut out for us we didn’t take as many as I would have liked. The sun was burning off the clouds and we were out in the open.

Upon inspection we find two entrance holes from the first two shots. They were about two inches apart and their exit holes only an inch apart. The third went high and the fourth was a few inches lower and it exited the shoulder and ended up under the skin at the point of his lower jaw. The green arrow is where it entered and the red arrow is where I made a cut to back the slug out. It was a Winchester Super X .270 130 grain Power-Point.

He had about ¾ of an inch of fat on his rear and a thin layer up to his shoulders. His guts were covered in fat and he had been feeding on red huckleberries and salal berries.

The hide was in good shape with short guard hairs with no rubs but no under fur. But since I am after meat and not rugs we cut him up the back to access the backstraps and shoulder portions that were salvageable. We boned out the front end but left most of the hide down in the hole. After some pruning we got him separated and in the shade. Then we hit the creek to wash up and cool off. When we got back we loaded our packs and started the climb out.

The red line was our route out of the hole and it is basically the same route I went down.

Back at camp we butchered the bear and put it in gallon zip lock bags on ice. Killbilly and I both used his palm skinner he bought from Rainshadow. The knife was a tad small for me at first, but after a few minutes it was a comfortable fit.

It was a boar that we figure weighed about 200-225 lbs live. The front pads are just over 4.5 inches and he might have squared about 5.5 feet. The baculum is almost 6 ¼ inches long. The skull is not very big and might be 17 inches.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Bear Down! Labor Day Weekend 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:44:15 PM »
Great story and pics BTKR, thanks for sharing and congrats
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »
agreed billy...way to document the story. thats a good looking bear, i really like those kind of tracking jobs.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
Sweeeet!!  Way to go!  Congrats to both of you.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
Very cool! Great story. Really neat to see the pictures of the whole process start to finish. Good job!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:56:21 PM »
Man great job!!! Sounds like an awesome hunt! Glad to see one without any milk on its lips too ;) I bet that was crazy shooting that guy and watching him not make a move.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:26 PM »
Right on Billy!! What time of day??

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »
I see you guy's hunted north great country. nice shot's. that is funny thought maybe he was already dead. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:06:45 PM »
Good work guys. Thanks for the write up, it was a good read and a nice bear. That pic where it is laying down and from behind, looks like a pig.

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »
Great story and pics! Congrtulations! It'll be interesting to see how old he was!

Offline Jackjr

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
Nice Bear guys

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
That was spectacular coverage of your success. Congrats!!!
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
Very nice, and damn good documentation for the forum.  Funny place for him to take a snooze

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »
Great job and write up.  That is how stories should be told.

Seriously, the hunt washington hats are lucky.   :tup:
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »
That poor bear died in his sleep!!   :chuckle:  Sweet set of photos and great story!!  Congrats on a nice bear!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]