collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whitetail 8x8 or 6x7? Which one?  (Read 10335 times)

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
Re: Whitetail 8x8 or 6x7? Which one?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
I would quit my job and hunt that second deer. Is that public land? I just want to Know if I could ever have a chance at something like that.
Yes you do!  Biggest bucks are public land bucks in my opinion.

:yeah:

mtman...go ahead and quit your job... because there are a number of masher bucks like that out there waiting for you on our public lands.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
There are plenty of huge deer on public land, like DB says.  Go hiking in January and you'll see them.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline mtman

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Thats what Ive heard about whitetails. All the the big ones are in the national forest. Only hunted them once with no luck. Hoping to make a trip out east next year for the whitetail. Mabye I will take a few weeks off and hope to god I can find one half that size. Dont know much about the whitetail but ive got books coming.Good luck with your hunt.

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
Thats what Ive heard about whitetails. All the the big ones are in the national forest. Only hunted them once with no luck. Hoping to make a trip out east next year for the whitetail. Mabye I will take a few weeks off and hope to god I can find one half that size. Dont know much about the whitetail but ive got books coming.Good luck with your hunt.
This is a great state for whitetail.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline mtman

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »
That's what I meant by east. Don't have the money to go out of state. I will try and get some money to go shed hunting somewere over there. Maybe a few scouting trips as well. It looks like the trail cams are the best bet on knowing what Kind of animals there are. On the west side you can see alot of the blacktails before the velvet comes off. After that I don't see them anymore. Thinking about trying to get them figured out using trail cams also.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »
That's what I meant by east. Don't have the money to go out of state. I will try and get some money to go shed hunting somewere over there. Maybe a few scouting trips as well. It looks like the trail cams are the best bet on knowing what Kind of animals there are. On the west side you can see alot of the blacktails before the velvet comes off. After that I don't see them anymore. Thinking about trying to get them figured out using trail cams also.

Trail cameras are like finding the missing link.  I'm surprised how many people don't use them.  Get a big buck on camera and then spiderweb from that location until you get a pattern nailed down.  Have fun with your upcoming whitetail chase.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline mdbuck5x5

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
DB like some others said I would take the first one that presented itself to you! Good luck!

Trail cameras are like finding the missing link.  I'm surprised how many people don't use them.  Get a big buck on camera and then spiderweb from that location until you get a pattern nailed down.  Have fun with your upcoming whitetail chase.

Well I'm one of those people who don't use cams and don't care to. I wouldnt mind killing a big buck as much as the next person but it doesn't make or break my season. For me its about being in the woods away from everything and bringing home some meat.  My :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal