collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fisherman arrested for defending bait.  (Read 12946 times)

Offline Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Fisherman arrested for defending bait.
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:12:33 PM »

NEWPORT BEACH, California (AP) -- A fisherman accused of stabbing a sea lion with a steak knife after the animal stole his bait has been arrested.

The sea lion, a six-foot female weighing about 150 pounds, was stabbed in the heart and was euthanized, said Dean Gomersall, animal care supervisor at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Beach.

"It's a horrible thing," Gomersall said. "My crew is extremely upset, and we're just glad the person was caught."

Hai Nguyen, 24, was fishing off a Newport pier about 12:30 p.m. Friday when the sea lion snatched the bait from his fishing pole.

"It was close enough so he could just reach out and stab it in the water," said Sgt. Evan Sailor, a police spokesman. "A number of people witnessed it and called police."

Nguyen was arrested without incident at the pier and held at Newport Beach Jail on $20,000 bail. He was expected to be arraigned next week on a charge of felony cruelty to animals, authorities said.

The case also was being investigated by the U.S. attorney's office for possible federal charges under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Nguyen could face a $25,000 fine and up to a year in prison if convicted on the animal cruelty charge. A conviction on federal charges of violating the Marine Mammal Protection Act could add $12,000 in civil penalties, criminal fines of up to $20,000 and additional jail time, authorities said.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Fisherman arrested for defending bait.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 06:14:42 PM »
Rediculous that the fines are so high for a stinking seal!!!! >:(  I wish the tribes would exercise their right to shoot the damn things!!! :chuckle:

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 09:52:39 PM »
The drunk *censored*s are too busy gill netting fish for eggs and killing trophy elk to worry about a silly little seal PolarBear........you must have had a brain fart...I forgive you...

LOL!!!!
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
I got bitched at by the State Patrol a few years back for pulling and burning {I started the fire with litter} a couple indian fish nets on the lower Skagit. They had Fisher Slough completly blocked off with nets and the fish in them ranged from alive to rotted....... I popped a gasket........ I cut the ropes, pulled them in, released the live fish, started a fire and added the nets. First some Fisheries guys saw the smoke and I told them what I did and why. A Little later the State Patrol showed up and bitched at me and said I'd likely get shot if the indians returned. Never happen. That still pisses me off.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »
Haahaaa!!!!  I did that to some Squaxins that tied their chum nets off to my Dad's bulkhead.  I waited until they got out of sight, pulled the net up on the beach, picked out my oysters that were tangled in it and burned the damn thing on the beach.  They came back  a couple hours later and could not figure where their net was.  By then the tide had covered up the pile of melted plastic and was out of sight.  I also pulled a net out of the Skok and took it home for decoration.  One of my cousin's kids was swimming and got her foot hooked in the net which had been left there and was submerged under water.  We use to drop bales of hay off of the bridge over the Chehalis river at Montesano to wipe out gill nets down stream.  Pretty effective!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »
I got bitched at by the State Patrol a few years back for pulling and burning {I started the fire with litter} a couple indian fish nets on the lower Skagit. They had Fisher Slough completly blocked off with nets and the fish in them ranged from alive to rotted....... I popped a gasket........ I cut the ropes, pulled them in, released the live fish, started a fire and added the nets. First some Fisheries guys saw the smoke and I told them what I did and why. A Little later the State Patrol showed up and bitched at me and said I'd likely get shot if the indians returned. Never happen. That still pisses me off.

Hermit, until I read this I was getting a little peaved with you, now I am not so sure. You may have hope afterall. What you claimed to have done is something many sportsmen have dreamed about doing. Conservative sportsman. Maybe you are really a conservative on the inside, trying to get out. We can help you.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »
Iceman, LOL...I agree.

Nguyen should be given a reward instead of being fined.  I hope he gets a decent lawyer and gets off by claiming self defense.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »
Look..... I'm fairly hard to lable. And don't feel alone, I seem to piss people off. It's just this whole "Liberals" are ruining everything attitude that pisses me off. I was raised with guns and hunting and love my freedom to do what I wish. There are just as many whacked out Neocons as there are leftwing extreamists. Maybe it's just the labeling of people thats the problem.  In 89 I kicked a $100 worth of pea hay over the bridge at Conway that a old farmer/fisherman sold to me.......... You could get a LOT of pea hay for a $100. Musta wiped out 7 of 8 nets on the way downstream. And burning those nets on the bank seemed like a good thing to do. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.   Iceman, just WHAT IS a "conservative sportsman"?

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
I don't see much difference between eco-terrorists and the actions you describe hermit. I don't touch anyone else's stuff, let alone burn it. To me there is no emotional distress regarding fishing or hunting which is worth it.

As far as the fisherman on Newport Beach Pier. He's a Dumb Ass that got what he deserved. Even if I thought it was necessary to retaliate I couldn't think of any worse place could you do that at.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 05:16:12 PM by huntwa »

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 07:19:21 PM »
I guess the difference is politcal ideals VS Gutfelt anger at wildlife waste. Call it whatever you want I never regretted it and would do it again.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »
I have my own personal ethics which I do not expect everyone else to agree with. Do what you will. I suppose someone could easily claim that those nets were not abandoned but it does ring true like waste to me. The real problem is that there is  often no pathway to regulate this sort of thing and there probably never will be. The cops and wildlife enforcement officers should spend more time attempting to regulate the people who might be abusing their rights. Instead we have people like the State Patrol scolding you and people in the DFW which will waste their time trying to craft ridiculous legislation on other matters.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »
It sounds like the sealion that was killed had lost its natural fear of humans.  It maybe was a danger to people if it was that brave to get that close to a person and steal the guys fish.  There really isn't enough info in the story to know for sure.  But I wouldn't worry about one less sealion in the world.  The herd needs thinned out.  One year in prison for that offense would be way too much, IMO.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 08:12:32 PM »
One year in prison for that offense would be way too much, IMO.

I agree.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
You guys can't pick and choose your fights.  The guy basically "poached" an animal out of season.  If this was a bighorn sheep you would all be crying for the guy to go to jail forever...  You are basing your opinions on the fact that this animal eats and competes with ones you like (salmon).  Instead of picking the animals that are ok to injure or kill out of season, why don't we take a stand that all illegal taking or harming of animals is illegal and should be punished severely. 

I salmon fish myself and have had the same thoughts in my head when a seal has taken a 30lb king off my line while reeling it in.  However, if we want to hunt seals or wolves or any other animal, then change the laws.  When we pick and choose who we think should be punished severely or lightly based on how the judge values that animal, it leads to inconsistent judgments.  Then we all get pissed off when the guy who kills that sheep gets "off" on his charges...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree with huntwa and the pope on this one.
the guy broke the law and rightfully is paying the price for it, although i i will also agree that a year in prison is a bit much.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal