collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: grouse around sultan basin  (Read 7701 times)

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
grouse around sultan basin
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
i spent the day poking around sultan basin road looking for some grouse. i think i flushed one by accident and didnt get a shot as im using a .22. just wondering if theres any grouse in the area or am i wasting time. in any case i did see a nice fresh rub where a buck just about tore a small tree to shreds, so it was nice spending some time in the woods looking for animals
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
Re: grouse around sultan basin
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
Grouse are literally everywhere, seeing/finding them is the hard part, grouse typically freeze when you get too close, they also hear really well and have good vision, so they will usually see you first, and freeze up. They have impeccable camoflauge as well. Try walking alongside creekbeds through maples/alders and Salmon berry bushes... just be prepared for when you flush 'em, the sound they make when they take off can send you into cardiac arrest in a quiet forest! lol.

98% of the time I take a grouse, I have seen it driving to and from hunt spots for Big Game. Anytime I have ever went "Grouse hunting", I haven't seen em. LOTS of grouse up around Darrington, also up Beckler River area, past Skykomish, old Jack's pass area....

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »
My experience in the area is you need to gain just a little elevation and walk some of the older logging roads. Work your way into areas that are a couple years old with a mix of smaller trees, low brush, and some openings. I haven't seen a ton but usually see one or two just about every time I go up that way.

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
I dont know if there is "go-to" spot up the basin for grouse. I have killed a few up there but I think they were all ones I saw while driving to and from there. I know I saw several different ones while walking some of the gated roads there but they never worth destroying or losing an arrow so I let them fly.
I would like to see some of the bucks that call that place home. In '07 I ended up seeing and videoing a huge mulie doe right at the gate to the lake so you know that blood is in the area.

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »
thanks guys. my original plan was to head up to the beckler river area but that fell through cause my wifes back went out and i had to stay close to home. mabye ill see what i can do this weekend. im just trying to get some more time in the woods since my deer season lasted less than 24 hours
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
I would like to see some of the bucks that call that place home. In '07 I ended up seeing and videoing a huge mulie doe right at the gate to the lake so you know that blood is in the area.

ive wondered about the area for a while, it looks like it could hold some nice deer. i was kinda hoping that the rut would make it a little easier to spot them and see what going on in the area for next year
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Forrestrover.02

• Hunter
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560513732
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
I didn't run into any grouse up Beckler last weekend, but I've seen them there before. I did see some bobcat tracks, though.

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:06 AM »
I didn't run into any grouse up Beckler last weekend, but I've seen them there before. I did see some bobcat tracks, though.

:yeah: Nice! Lots of Cats up there...

Offline wafisherman

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
I was also up in that area with one of my boys looking for grouse.  You have have seen us.  The spot I saw grouse while driving in the summer was gated and too far to walk with my boy.  So we found some other gated roads and put in about 8 miles of boot time and didn't see a single bird.  No sign of deer or beer or anything other than coyote.  Lots of scat....

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
wafisherman were you then guy with his son a couple of daughters by the truck when i came down the road?

in thinking about heading out tomorrow but the the weather looks a little nasty for tomorrow may just try later in the week
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ORCA_SIX

• RLTW!
  • Scout
  • Bring out your dead!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
Grouse are literally everywhere, seeing/finding them is the hard part, grouse typically freeze when you get too close, they also hear really well and have good vision, so they will usually see you first, and freeze up. They have impeccable camoflauge as well. Try walking alongside creekbeds through maples/alders and Salmon berry bushes... just be prepared for when you flush 'em, the sound they make when they take off can send you into cardiac arrest in a quiet forest! lol.

98% of the time I take a grouse, I have seen it driving to and from hunt spots for Big Game. Anytime I have ever went "Grouse hunting", I haven't seen em. LOTS of grouse up around Darrington, also up Beckler River area, past Skykomish, old Jack's pass area....

Yeah, for sure. I was out Bear hunting in September and got two to flush like 5 feet from me in that area while walking. Throws you off for a second because of the noise. I thought some bear had gotten the drop on me.  :yike: Afterwards, I wish I had a shotgun, during I wish I had a machine gun.  :mgun:
“If a man’s life is not long enough, a dog’s is even shorter and anything you can do to make that fuller is worthwhile"

"Be worthy of your game"

George Bird Evans

Offline aer212

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
I call grouse heart attack birds!

Offline wafisherman

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
wafisherman were you then guy with his son a couple of daughters by the truck when i came down the road?

in thinking about heading out tomorrow but the the weather looks a little nasty for tomorrow may just try later in the week

no.  Just me and my boy today. Noticed the took out the visitor center thing...  You know, the place you register if heading to the lake for the day...  Totally gone...

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
ive never seen the visitor center before where was that at
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ORCA_SIX

• RLTW!
  • Scout
  • Bring out your dead!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
It's all the way at the end of the Sultan-Basin road before you head up to Spada Lake.
“If a man’s life is not long enough, a dog’s is even shorter and anything you can do to make that fuller is worthwhile"

"Be worthy of your game"

George Bird Evans

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]