Author Topic: Socks  (Read 9236 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Socks
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:09:02 AM »
Okay guys all this talk about the perfect boot got me wondering what the perfect setup for boot socks are. What works best for anti-sweat, anti heal blisters etc.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Socks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
I've learned the hard way that you don't want to go with cheapo socks.  Good wool socks will wick mositure, insulate your foot, and protect from bruises. 

The good news is that I don't think that Scent Lok and similar technologies are a requirement for a boot for hunters.  If you use a sock with some sort of activated carbon or whatever scent inhibiting technology, that will go along ways to keeping your smell down--esp if your boot is waterproof and doesn't get moldy on the inside.  I use boot driers when I'm staying at a friends or in a motel.  Newspapers when I'm camping.

A simple test you can conduct is to wear a scent lok sock on one foot and a regular wool sock on another. Take both off after a long day of hunting and smell each one...

This year may be my first year using sock liners--if I make it to the NE for late whitetail season. Go to Cabelas and read about sock liners. They come in silk, coolmax, polypro, etc.  I'm curious of those who use 'em what works best.  I personally want something that's thin, adds warmth, wicks sweat, and doesn't blister my feet.  Is that too much to ask?  :tung:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
i really liked my Rocky wool blend extra cushion boot fit socks that i had. 

now that my work boots are really broken in i use under armour socks. zero cushion but my boots are already really comfy and my feet dont get too hot.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline BlackTail

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
First off, get a good polypropylyne liner.  These are what made a huge difference for me.  I don't know about the silk or coolmax, but I love the polypro liners.  I can wear a pair of socks all day hiking and hunting, and at the end of the day you can just about wring the liners out with sweat, but my feet feel absolutely bone dry.  Over the liners I like to wear a light/medium weight sock like Smart Wool.   

One thing I've noticed with every pair of the liners I've bought is that they have a seam on the inside that runs across the tops of my toes.  The first time I wore them they about rubbed by feet raw.  From then on I've always turned my liners inside out before putting them on and, problem solved.

They are expensive (liners and socks) but well worth it.  I wanted to try these out for a couple years before recommending them to any of my hunting partners.  Didn't want to hear my buddies bitching about $25 sock setups that didn't work.  Last year I got my dad a couple pairs of liners and Smart Wool socks and he wouldn't stop talking about how comfortable his feet were all day.  Now my buddies all asks, "Why didn't you tell us about this earlier"?? 

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »
What Blacktail said!!! I also use Poly Liners and either Thorlo or Smartwool Hiking socks. Mid weight in the early season and heavyweight in the late season. Another real plus is using Green Superfeet insoles. Spendy but worth the money!!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »
another vote for polypro liners and smart wool socks. my feet run hot, so i go with a thinner version of the smart wool socks. i also have a pair of underarmour socks that has worked out well, and i have a couple of the thinner-weight danner socks that sre ok. i don't like the thick socks because of temperature and because my feet move around more because they are thicker and that causes blisters.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »
What Blacktail said!!! I also use Poly Liners and either Thorlo or Smartwool Hiking socks. Mid weight in the early season and heavyweight in the late season.

Another vote for this same set -up.  Great- keeps hot spots from occuring, wicks moisture to the outser sock...

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 01:49:02 AM »
Im pretty pleased with Ngenius socks. I usta use those silly little thin socks. Not any longer. The Ngenius socks have a built in liner. And they dont cheat. I hate cheating socks. They stay put on your calf, dont bunch or ride, and dont get all crusty and hard after a few days.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »
Blacktail nailed it in my opinion.

I might add, since we do a bit of snowshoeing, I have researched the crap out of this topic, worrying about the wifes, and the kids feet. Poly liners with a quality oversock is the only way to go.

Another point about feet that could be mentioned is foot preparation for a big trip.

One thing I have learned and posted about elsewhere on the web is; what we should do for our feet prior to a trip. Be sure to trim them damned toenails properly a week before going. If you nick something and make an owie or infection (gross) better to do this one week prior. Also, if you have a tendency for getting athletes foot....if this is you....pre-treat your feet for a week ahead of time, and during the hunt. Foot fungus can blossom in a day, and you wanna beat it back as far as you can before your hunt.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »
My wife bought me a pair of under armour socks a few years back. I think they are a football sock because they are real tall. I love them because my feet run hot too. These keep my feet cool when they need to and warm when they need to. I dont know what they are made of though.  :twocents:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »
I used to wear all the different kinds of liners, under wool socks, but now about all I ever wear anymore is the merino wool socks that Costco sells, 4 pairs for $12 if I remember correctly. I believe the brand name is "Head."  They are very similar to the merino wool socks that Smart Wool makes, but 1/4 the price. I pretty much wear them year around, only on the hottest days are they too warm.

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
Blacktail summed it up perfectly.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »
As for the infamous sock combination... Well I picked this one up from Cam himself and I don't think it could have worked out any better!?  Got to Cabelas or your local UA outlet and buy a 4 pack of the no show socks (black) $14.99.  Then, depending on heat conditions either the UA lite boot sock (10.99 a pair) or the UA  boot sock ($14.99 a pair)...  Put on the no show socks and then either the lite weight boot sock or the regular boot sock on the outside over the no shows...  Hiking 25 miles a day on the tundra your almost bound to get hot sweaty feet which will be an almost guarantee for blisters... But with this sock combination not once did my feet get to the point where I felt like I was going to get a blister and after about 200 miles hiked up there not one blister to be found!  I will swear by this sock combination and I wont be using anything else in the field thats for sure!

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »
I like  Thorlo Ski Wool Silk Socks. :tup:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »
Blacktail nailed, with my feet a quality liner is more important then the sock.
If hotspots pop up stop and pad the spot with a bandage, moleskin, or liquid skin (super glue can work in emergencies) before it gets to a blister.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline FOsteology

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
BlackTail nailed it squarely on the head.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:33:48 PM »
I stopped using sock liners when I was in the army. Never did me much good. I usually buy a wool or synthetic sock that fits well with my boot. Meaning not much chance for blisters because my foot is snug. I guess that I figured out how to take care of my feet and which socks fit right with me a long time ago and that it is second nature to me. I rarely form blisters.

So I guess that means I could go with some costco special as long as my feet are comfortable.

Boot fit is a lot more important to me than sock setup.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 05:03:35 AM »
once you ge the thorlo mountaineering socks you will find that you are willing to drive 500 miles to pick up a few more pairs.............they're THAT good.

I have tried every sock cabelas and the mountain climbing shops sell and there ain't jack that has made me sway from the thorlo mountaineering.......bout $20 a pair........worth twice that.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:23 AM »
I'm in the minority with Ray - prefer a single, well-fitting good quality wool/poly/spandex sock.  THROW THEM AWAY as soon as they start to wear thin at all.  I always carry a second pair in the day pack - love that mid-day sock change.  I've found that the best blister avoidance formula for me.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »
wickdry for me.they breath ,wick moisture,and I always change midday anyway.To me a change of socks in the mid day is like sex away from home.Did I say that!

Offline WACATHUNTER

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 04:49:10 PM »
Smartwool only here.  I use liners when covering long distances, but usually just a single pair of smartwool, expensive but well worht the $.  I fightfires all summer and in a lot of situations I will be int he wilderness with 1 pair of socks in dust and dirt for up to a week and then pack out heavy packs, one pair of smartwools work perfect for me.
WACAT

Offline coonhound

• Jeff ><>
  • Longhunter
  • Jeff ><>
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
As said earlier start with a quality insole, I use the green Superfeet insole.

The Smartwool socks have always been great for me.  I do differ when it comes to liners, I've tried several different styles and always found it hard to keep them from bunching, I believe a quality sock does not require a liner.

In the off season this year, just out of curiosity I tried several socks that Cabela's offered to see how they stacked up to the trusty Smartwool's.  Most didn't compare to the Smartwool except for one.  Not the most expensive but very easy on my feet, the Cabela's Outfitter socks, 9.99 pr.  I spent 10 days of hard hunting in the high country this elk season, I put on at least 150 miles mostly cross country in steep terrain and never had a single hot spot.

If cost is no concern, Smartwool, if you're in need of a bargain try the Outfitter's.

Coon

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
As said earlier start with a quality insole, I use the green Superfeet insole.

Couldn't agree more.  I really like the Cabala's liner sock (the non polypro model with Teflon coating).  They wear like iron and provide decent wicking and friction control.  Out sock I'm always looking the latest and greatest.  Smartwool is good.  I prefer the Patagonia expedition socks but they don't wear as well.  Have tried a bunch of the Cabala's socks with varying degrees of success.

I'm interested in tryin some of the Thorlo's that High Country mentioned.

Offline columbiaman

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 09:02:19 AM »
i really liked my Rocky wool blend extra cushion boot fit socks that i had. 

now that my work boots are really broken in i use under armour socks. zero cushion but my boots are already really comfy and my feet dont get too hot.

I ordered my socks from REI. They have good sales from time to time. Wool blend hiking socks are my pick.

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 08:59:34 PM »
Just so I understand you wear the line and then place the wool sock over it? Do you find that wearing the liner and wool socks is so snug... What type of insulation are your boots? 200g, 400g? etc?

My feet get cold during the late hunts....but I do not like two pairs of scoks...just never felt right. I guess wearing two pairs of white socks just doesn't cut it..

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
Buy your Smartwool socks at sierratradingpost.com    They are seconds but I never can tell where or why. Single smartwools in the summer and double in the winter.
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
nw bowhunter, in theory, two socks allows friction to occurr between the layers of socks and not against your feet. For cold weather, you really need to loosen the laces in order to get a bit more sock in the boot. More sock = more airgap/insulation. Tight fitting shoes/boots will reduce the insulative value of your sock, as well as reduce circulation in the feet. When shopping for boots, you start by bringing the two layers of socks you intend to wear into the field.

If your boots are a snug fitting boot you wear in warm weather, they will probably not be loose enough to try to make a cold weather boot out of. Make sense? Anyway, for really cold weather, I use an insulated boot with dual socks.

Also of note, normal plain ol' cotton socks can really freeze your feet. Once wet, even from perspiration, they lose insulative value, compress, and help to transfer the cold from your boot  to your foot.

If we look at many of the quality "non cotton" (poly) socks on the market, you will notice that many manufacturers weave the sock in a fashion to create air channels that help to carry moist air up and out of your boot. Other features are increased padding in key areas on the bottom of the foot and thinner areas around the ankle to allow flexing. Add all these features together, and the extra price associated with quality socks is well worth the investment in your feet and your pursuits. Good luck!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »
I do the liner and smartwool medium. I use the green super feet except in my Meindels, I like the cork they use from the factory.
 Its a system that needs to worked out by the individual.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]