collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth turkey hunt ideas  (Read 3380 times)

Offline bornforhorns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Youth turkey hunt ideas
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
I have a 13 year old son who got his hunting license for the first time this year...we were unsuccessful deer hunting but had a great time.  Unfortunately we couldn't put enough points on a buck to shoot but had some great experiences.  I live in Ellensburg and were looking to go turkey hunting over the Thanksgiving break in Lincoln County (because it's closer).  We didn't purchase his license until October because the hunter ed. class was in late September so we missed out on a possible Teanaway turkey tag. 

So does anybody know of some public land or landowners over that way that would be receptive to a youth hunting turkey?

Thanks,

bfh

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
Re: Youth turkey hunt ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Very little public land ... you need to probably get a map ... try the canyons, maybe even up by Little Egypt.

For my money I would wander up further north maybe even to Kettle Falls, Colville or Chewelah areas.

The birds will be lower this time of year and in bigger flocks, but are easy enough to pattern.

Offline bornforhorns

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
Thanks Turkeydancer,

we are extreme rookies but do have some hunting savvy...may not apply to turkeys. LOL.

Trying to read up on fall hunts, can you call them in?  Any suggestions for putting a tag on one?

Either way, just to get into some birds whether we get one or not will be exciting for us.

Bfh

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
My son and I have gone turkey hunting in the late fall/winter.  Like Turkeydancer said, look for big flocks.  In general we did more of a spot and stalk.  Our best luck may have been when we tried to tell which general direction the birds were heading and then plan an ambush.  Alternatively you can try to split the flock and call them back together with a "kee kee" type of assembly call. 

I may be trying this late fall season with a bow for the first time.  The birds are probably safe from me.   :chuckle:  Good luck.  Post pics if you get one!

One last thing, be sure to check the GMUs closely to make sure the area is open.

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »
I'd have no problem if you wanted to shoot a turkey off my property. I have more than enough. Not quite a canned hunt, but shouldnt be any problem killing one. I'm in Spokane Co.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:09 PM »
HornHoarder,

Nice offer.  It took my 13 year old and I a long time to get our first bird.  Cool. 

Offline bornforhorns

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:52 PM »
You guys are awesome. 

Were pretty "up" on the rules, proud of how my son has already taken to reading the game pamphlet and has had a lot of fun learning the gmu's, etc. on his own.  As the weekend approaches HornHoarder , Gobble Doc and Turkeydancer I may be looking for more advice.  Even though we aren't looking for a canned hunt HornHoarder...I might not kick a gift horse  in the mouth either, LOL!

I myself have always been a big game hunter but I have a 13 and 10 year old who recently went through hunter ed. and are driving me crazy with turkey calls throughout the house and Outdoor channel programs targeting turkey hunting.  Ha, Ha!

Not to be real sympathetic and I don't mean to overdue this guys but the willingness to give advice by total strangers as I embark on some new life adventures with my boys through their teenage years reminds me why our nation, traditions and heritage are so precious even if I'm not happy with the election results.  Again, thanks for the help and the reminder to me that someday I might offer some similar help, advice, "what have you" when I get the same chance towards another.

bfh

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
Bornforhorns,

I'm with you on the elections.  My 2 oldest sons are now 14 and 17.  We started turkey hunting a few years ago and learned a lot from the forum here.  For our first hunt a board member, Machias, offered to take us out and I'll always have great memories of his generosity.  We didn't get a bird on that first trip but learned a lot.  Since then my sons and I have nailed a bunch after trying for a couple of years without success. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some other ideas if you're interested.   One good thing about this time of year is you don't have to get up so early! 

Offline bornforhorns

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
Gobble Doc,

I will do that! Tomorrow night perhaps.  Gonna hit the hay tonight...another day and a half of work and 4 days off.  I'm a 43 year old science teacher/baseball coach that loves to hunt and fish in case you want a little in sight as to who your assisting.

thanks,

bfh

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »
In fall hunting there are two basic strategies:

1) Run at the flocklike a screaming bush and scatter them to the four winds, then sit up at the break point and wait approx 1/2 hour.  Start with either kee.kee.runs or hen assembly calls.  You need to have a good scatter versus a flush in one direction, and sometimes you would need a second or third try at getting a good scatter.  If you have two or more people running at the flock from different directions, a scatter is a lot easier than for an older, slower, single hunter like me.  Another method you can use if you know where they're roosted, is sneak in after they've gone to roost and whack the roost trees or those close to them with rolled up newspapers ... this should scatter them pretty good ... next morning sneak back into the area of the breakup and when you hear them lighting up the dawn you start with the lost bird sounds (kee.kee.runs).

2) If you know where the birds are and where they're going, you can set up an ambush as mentioned by Gobble Doc.   For me, it's very effective and I usually harvest within 1/2 hour of legal shoot ... but I've been hunting a few pieces of private land for years and know where they roost, where they flydown, and where they go during various parts of the day.

Note that spot and stock is very difficult with turkeys, because of their great eyesight and the multiple eyes looking for danger at this time of year plus their great hearing.  Usually most people will get busted and then it's game over for the day.  It can be effective if you observe from a distance (ie - stay out of sight) in order to determine where they're going and use the terrain to get there first without being seen to set up an ambush.

Lastly, it usually is very cold and windy during the late fall. Especially with kids I recommend an ambush from a blind heated with a small adjustable heater while sitting on tripod stools.  In lieu of that, layer ... layer ... layer.  As a big game hunter, I'm sure you've been there and done that and know that if you're miserable it is not fun !!!

My best advice to you and yours is to take up HornHoarder on his very generous offer. He can provide the info about roost trees, travel corridors, and hangout places to make you very successful.  I also take my "landowners" a "small" thank you gift - examples would be some elk or deer steak/burger, salmon/trout, a bottle of their favorite, a gift card to a local restuarant/store, or other.  The landowners usually tell me I didn't need too, but I guess it's the way I was raised to let them know how much they are appreciated.

Good Luck to you and yours ...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:14:16 PM by turkeydancer »

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Thank you gifts are always appreciated.  I make ladies' necklaces and give them to my land owner friends (never have figured out men's necklaces).  I also trap beavers and make them hooped for very nice wall hangings.  I still have a large one for the hunter who helps me get a spring Eastern Wild Turkey tom on the west side.  I've gotten Merriams and Reos, but not an Eastern.  They all taste good.

The point is that you can and should give the landowner's something nice that you do well, wild game meat or a gift card for a pizza.  Something they don't have to pay taxes on.
Diane
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,113853.0.html

Contact this guy.  They have youth hunts available in Lincoln County. 
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]