collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Archery Elk Opener Today...  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Bookworm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Archery Elk Opener Today...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 10:22:40 PM »
Got into two herds today. One turned right instead of coming straight up the hill to me. the other we jumped in the tall grass( over six feet)& vineys, all we could see was the tips of a branched bulls horns. :bash:. Now I have to wait for the weekend.

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »
I will be leaving Thursday.

Offline mikelonsford

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
I am leaving Thursday after work and going through the rest of the early season.  I was going to come back for one evening (19th) which is my wedding anniversary.  The wife said don't worry about it we could have a date the weekend after hunting and she lined up my Mom to babysit.  I am not sure if I should go for that or if it is a trap?!  Guess I'll see how the hunting is right before then.

Good Luck to all!

Mike

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
Ahh... she said go. What else do you need to hear?
What we need is more cow bell

Offline jadeball1

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »
God, is it friday yet? Course, the margaret doesnt open till the 15th. ;)
What we need is more cow bell

Offline buckmaster_wa

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
I like the idea about a hunting-washington flag. That way when we see it we can stop in and meet one another. Anyways good luck to all!!!!!!!

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
I like the idea about a hunting-washington flag. That way when we see it we can stop in and meet one another. Anyways good luck to all!!!!!!!

yeah that would be cool.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
Maybe a small camo one with Hunting-Washington embroidered under an elk or deer, I can see if I can come up with one that you can slip over an antenna once out of the car. Does anyone think a car would be vandalized for this? I'm not a sticker kind of guy either. If enough are interested I can send a sample to Ray for approval.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
Maybe a small camo one with Hunting-Washington embroidered under an elk or deer, I can see if I can come up with one that you can slip over an antenna once out of the car. Does anyone think a car would be vandalized for this? I'm not a sticker kind of guy either. If enough are interested I can send a sample to Ray for approval.

How bout a license plate ring or what ever you call em, then we can bump each other on the freeway !!! JK !!

I would be interested in the flag, that is a good idea for us to meet other members !!

One thing though is the logo doesn't show up all that well on a dark camo pattern is just what I have noticed, maybe Ray wouldn't mind using some other colors  :dunno: Just an idea !!!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
I would do a camo flag with a tan elk or deer and Hunting-Washington in maybe yellow, or maybe a hat that you could leave on the dash in the same color configuration, that way it wouldnt get stolen :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Might be easier and cheaper to go with one color. Maybe camo with white silk screening on the text and critter?

Offline JBR

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
I'd be open seeing anyone's sample of flags....whatever works would be fun. I think it would be cool to see the flag at a camp and stop in to say hello, knowing I was going to get to meet someone from here. For some reason I haven't figured out a great way to ask another elk hunter out in the woods, "Hey by the way, so do you by chance ever go online to that hunting forum called 'hunting-washington.com'???

I just got back (early) from my first archery elk hunt in the Nile unit. First time hunting elk, and first time archery hunting.  My expectations were low going in, but also because I had been unable to spend time scouting that unit other than a drive-thru on Labor Day weekend and I never saw any elk then. 

The weather was HOT.  Very dry, very dusty, very hot.  Got up there Wednesday afternoon and started hunting Thursday morning.  My hunting partner and I hunted all day with a short lunch break/target practice at camp during mid-day, and finished hunting at dark.  For all our effort covering a lot of ground and trying to get as far away from the roads as possible, we never saw any elk.  In fact, we never even saw a deer.  Frankly, all the sign we saw was old to really old and nothing fresh. 

Day two we tried to focus on water sources as they were few and far between in that area and the weather was so warm.  We found many dried up creek beds and old wallows, but not much water.  The water we did find, such as creeks, we followed looking for fresh tracks and sign.  We found neither, although we did find 'old stuff'. 

Again, after hunting all day again, we had yet to see even ONE elk or ONE deer.  Hmmm...

Day three, came and went again hitting up high in the thick shaded areas, the north and east facing slopes, the ridgelines, the open meadows, the water sources, always looking at new area covering as much ground as possible, as far away from the roads as possible, looking for animals, bedding areas, trashed trees and any other fresh sign, but only found old stuff.  We cow called as we quietly moved through the mountains, but got no responses.  I would bugle only once each morning from new locations, and once in the evening, just as a locator call to try to find a bull that would respond.

Nothing.

Day four.....nothing but heat and dust and more disappointment.

By day five, after failing to locate even one single elk or deer (which I ALWAYS come across in the woods at some point), we began to feel like something was wrong.  The elk clearly didn't seem to be in the area.  Was it the heat? They still had to be somewhere.  Was it the area?  Was it us?  Only one camp had a cow hanging (that we could see) which they had apparently got within the first 3 days. 

If we had at the very least seen something, anything, or come across fresh sign, it would have been worth burning through the remaining vacation time to stay and keep trying.  But as it was, we just couldn't see wasting the additional time in an area that seemed totally void of animals at that time.   

We decided to cut our losses, get home and learn more, scout more, and figure out WHERE the elk are before spending the next hunting trip wandering aimlessly and fruitlessly through the mountains.  I was frustrated and confused to say the least, but mostly I was just regreting not feeling confident about where to go and find the elk.  I can say with confidence that we hunted hard all day, every day and we clearly were unable to locate the animals.  I know I'm a total novice when it comes to archery and elk hunting specifically and I'm a beginner with the elk calls, but I've hunted long enough to be able to hunt an area and search for fresh sign, and even that was elusive for us. 

So...it was a total bust for us (at least as far as filling our tags), but we still enjoyed being out there of course.  It was a great experience to be out there with our bows, hunting beautiful country in nice weather (for a change) and just soaking it all up.  I just feel I could use some direction and guidence from those more experienced than me to get me off and running in the right direction, and that's in large part what I look for on forums such as this.  I always seem to have to trudge my way through these new experiences blindly, but I eventually get there and the journey is always worth it.  I hope others had much more success than we did and I'll try to post some pictures soon.  Like I said, it was beautiful out there.

I'm looking forward to this coming weekend with the youth pheasant hunt. It should be much more productive for my boys than than the past 6 days were for me! 

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:16 AM »
I am sorry it didn't go better JBR. A simple flag sounds like a good idea.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]