collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Venison  (Read 19307 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Venison
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
Do exactly what Robb92 did, except add a pinch of thyme and a pinch of basil to the cooking liquid.  Then when it's done, add a 1/2-2/3 cup of sour cream and a teaspoon or so of dijon mustard and mix well.  Serve over egg noodles.  Best Stroganhoff you'll ever eat.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline RailRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • KCCO
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 08:03:36 AM »
I noticed alot of people soak there venison..why in the hell would you do that? get the blood out? get rid of the gamey taste? first of all your deer should have hung for at least a week before being butchered,which solves the blood issue and if you cant handle the gamey flavor come on....dont know what to even say about that..comes with the package!!

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 09:32:02 AM »
I noticed alot of people soak there venison..why in the hell would you do that? get the blood out? get rid of the gamey taste? first of all your deer should have hung for at least a week before being butchered,which solves the blood issue and if you cant handle the gamey flavor come on....dont know what to even say about that..comes with the package!!

Ive never tasted gamey venison......I dont soak my meat either but I dont know how people get gamey tasting venison :dunno: poor game care I guess........

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 09:41:42 AM »
Hang it for a couple of days, or a week, as long as it is cold.

In my not always humble opinion, "gamieness" is irregular flavors associated with glands, fat, tallow, marrow or connective tissue. Bone saws ruin steak in my opinion. Nothing worse than a butcher cutting a whole quarter up and spreading marrow and bone chips across both sides of your deer or elk steak.  :puke: 

We do not leave any bone in wild game. No ribs, no roasts. We are also careful to remove anything "white" from our steak. Rib meat is trimmed of fat, then ground later when making sausage.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jason4429

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »
I let my animals hang as long as possible. then i take out the bones and i have never had a piece of meat taste bad or be bloody

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:06 PM »
I let a tougher cut of meat soak in salt but usually not the good stuff, and also make sure when i do soak to rinse the salt off thoroughly. Soak in buttermilk, then roll in flour with pepper and garlic powder. fry in butter or olive oil til the coating is crispy and the inside is medium rare. nothin better.

Offline RustneckNW

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:25 PM »
The only soaking that I do when cooking venison is with the liver.
Not the deer liver, mind you. Just mine! :brew:
The more I get to know the less I find that I understand.

Offline Cascade_Sherpa

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »
Hey, I'm with you on the Venison Fajita's, that was a staple of my diet going through college, and I still enjoy it today!

If all you shoot is rutted out trophy bucks like I do (ha ha ha thats a load of BS!)

Then this is a recipe I picked up from a buddies mom.  Start with venison steaks, tenderize them thouroughly with a heavy mallet.  Roll in a mixture of flour and spices and sear very quickly on both sides in a cast iron pan thats smoking hot.  Then put the seared steaks in a oven dish and cover with carmelized Walla Walla sweet onions.  Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes.  Trust me you can cut with a fork, delicious!

Offline Hillbilly270

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »
My favorite is to soak the backstrap in salt water for 12 hours(removes blood and tenderizes the meat). Once that is done put it in a bowl/container with 1 12 oz can of beer, some chopped onion, minced garlic, and some black pepper. Let that marinade for at least 5 hours and then bbq it. This is the best way i have done my backstrap and chops, the marinade is strong but it is very good.

soaking backstrap is just wrong.  I can see doing this with steaks, but backstrap.....that is just wrong.  its kinda like putting ketchup on razor clams :bash: :bash:  i hate it when people do that.   :violent1:
Im a lead farmer mutha....

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »
The only thing I did worse on this site than admit I voted for Obama was when I admitted I put ketchup on venison...   :peep:

As for recipes...  In a corningwear with french onion soup packs until tender, butterflied thin and cooked quick (with ketchup), stewed swiss steak style, ground into burger for tacos or hamburger helper, etc. 

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
if ya havent blackened a backstrap steak you dont know what your missing :drool:

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
The only thing I did worse on this site than admit I voted for Obama was when I admitted I put ketchup on venison...   :peep:

As for recipes...  In a corningwear with french onion soup packs until tender, butterflied thin and cooked quick (with ketchup), stewed swiss steak style, ground into burger for tacos or hamburger helper, etc. 

KETCHUP?!?!?! Why you dirty..........dangit pope!!  :bash:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »
..... I admitted I put ketchup on venison...   :peep:

Blasphemy!   How Dare you and your irreverent attitude toward something so sacred!!!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
Tenderloin and very tender backstrap get a little oil, flower and spice but other then that......everything gets ketchup...including prime rib.  :peep:

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:28 PM »
Tenderloin and very tender backstrap get a little oil, flower and spice but other then that......everything gets ketchup...including prime rib.  :peep:

In this house nothing gets Ketchup   :puke:
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]