collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: white river special permit  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Pazn25

• Love Big Game Hunting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
white river special permit
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
Does anyone know if you HAVE to buy the white river hankock permit prior to putting in for the white river special draw permit or can you put in for the white river just the same as any other permit and then if you get drawn then at that time purchase the hankock permit?  Thanks for your help in advance
Go Big Or Go Home!!

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: white river special permit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
Hancock sold us a pass a couple years ago when we had permits. One of my buddies drew a permit this year and they wouldnt sell him a pass, so I have seen go both ways. I'm guessing things have changed since we were drawn a couple years ago and they no longer do it with all of their changes at Hancock.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
You don't have to have a hancock pass to hunt the white river unit. You do need to get drawn, but there is a lot of land in the white river unit that Hancock does not own. Though, I would buy one. Like said, you may be able to get one after the draw in june, but you're taking the chance they'll be sold out.

Offline skywalker253

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
You might want to read the sign posted at the entry into the unit. Or pay attention to the website. YOU DO NEED A PASS. They went on sale Sept 8th until supplies last. They had a hotline number to call, which explained how to get one. My partner drew that tag this year and we got 1 of the final 11 passes they had left. We did not have to purchase 2 passes, since I was not hunting and only there to help him.

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
Hancock does not own all the land in the white river unit. You DO NOT need a hancock pass to hunt in the white river unit. You do need a pass if you want to hunt hancock land, by foot or by vehicle. They do not have a sign posted at the "unit". You might want to pay attention.

Offline deleted BGS

• Scout
  • Shoot to KILL
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
please correct me if i am wrong, but unless you get drawn for the hancock bull permit you cant hunt elk on any hancock land? that would make the pass useless if you draw the wr

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »
They don't have a "Hancock" permit for their land in the white river unit. That white river tag is a state tag.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
white river special permit
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
please correct me if i am wrong, but unless you get drawn for the hancock bull permit you cant hunt elk on any hancock land? that would make the pass useless if you draw the wr

You're thinking of the kapowsin bull tag. Different than the white river bull tag.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
The Hancock White River Tree Farm has not sold out in the past couple years. There really is not much draw to purchase the Hancock permit since the deer #s are low and the elk hunting is mainly by permit only (there is a small portion of the White River farm that is Issaquah GMU 454).

So you would probably have no problem putting in for the draw, getting the WDFW special permit, then buying the White River Tree Farm permit at FULL price.

The reason why Hancock didn't sell a "mini" permit for the hunt this year is there were ample supply of annual passes left.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »

The Hancock White River Tree Farm has not sold out in the past couple years. There really is not much draw to purchase the Hancock permit since the deer #s are low and the elk hunting is mainly by permit only (there is a small portion of the White River farm that is Issaquah GMU 454).

So you would probably have no problem putting in for the draw, getting the WDFW special permit, then buying the White River Tree Farm permit at FULL price.

The reason why Hancock didn't sell a "mini" permit for the hunt this year is there were ample supply of annual passes left.
:yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:31 AM »
I think people are getting confused between the White river GMU which is what the special permit is for and  Hancock's White river tree farm which is only part of the White river GMU which you need to buy an access permit to hunt on. TWO different things.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:36:07 AM »
I think people are getting confused between the White river GMU which is what the special permit is for and  Hancock's White river tree farm which is only part of the White river GMU which you need to buy an access permit to hunt on. TWO different things.

The White River GMU (essentially the SR 410 corridor from outside of Enumclaw to Mt Rainier Park) mainly has two large landowners. Hancock (White River Tree Farm) owns land from essentially Enumclaw to just about the Greenwater area. The USFS owns land from essentially Greenwater to the park. However there is some Hancock land east of Greenwater however. The only access permit needed would be for the Hancock lands.

So if you were DRAWN for the WDFW special elk permit, you would NOT have to purchase an additional Hancock permit because there is a ton of USFS lands. However, personally I would purchase the Hancock permit since a large majority of the elk are on the Hancock lands.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »

The White River GMU (essentially the SR 410 corridor from outside of Enumclaw to Mt Rainier Park) mainly has two large landowners. Hancock (White River Tree Farm) owns land from essentially Enumclaw to just about the Greenwater area. The USFS owns land from essentially Greenwater to the park. However there is some Hancock land east of Greenwater however. The only access permit needed would be for the Hancock lands.

So if you were DRAWN for the WDFW special elk permit, you would NOT have to purchase an additional Hancock permit because there is a ton of USFS lands. However, personally I would purchase the Hancock permit since a large majority of the elk are on the Hancock lands.
:yeah: Link, you are also 100% right. Some people don't know what they are talking about.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Swatson

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Man, if you drew the White River tag and limited yourself to the Hancock property you missed the boat!

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
I know where a bull is I would hunt. And he does not need a  hancock pass to hunt him :)
If its brown knock it down

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »
I know where a bull is I would hunt. And he does not need a  hancock pass to hunt him :)
Ross, you should let the guy that has a buddy with the incentive tag know about that bull. Only if you want to of course.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Pazn25

• Love Big Game Hunting
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Well sounds like i missed out on some action on this thread by not checking in on it for a few days.  Thank you link for the information.  I guess i just wanted to make sure it wasnt like the Kapowsin tag where you NEED the hancock permit to get into the raffle but i have now realized that the White River tag is a WDFW tag and not a hancock tag like the kapowsin tag.  Thanks guys.
Go Big Or Go Home!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal