collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swimming after Geese  (Read 2533 times)

Offline clindsayrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Swimming after Geese
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
For the second time this month my 9-year-old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever has taken off after and continued to swim after a flock of geese that hangs out in our yard. Last time he swam half way across the lake before we picked him up and this morning he did the same again. I couldn't believe it, he broke my heel and took off like a rocket into the flock. Ran them into the water and then swam 400 yards out into the lake. Only this time he finally swam in, only a half mile down shore.

I've never had a problem in the field with this dog. He's made hundreds of water retrieves and has always swam back to me on command. He's never gone after live ducks or geese before either. He's really got me concerned. Hunting season is fast approaching (if he doesn't drown before then), but we hunt primarily on a river where a ill trained dog would easily be swept away or could be caught in many types of water hazards.

Obviously I need to do some serious work and I should have addressed this sooner.

My question: Does anyone have any drills in mind that I could implement to try and correct this behavior?

Thanks,
Corey

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
Re: Swimming after Geese
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
You could keep him on a check cord and keep running him near the live birds.  Then you would have him leashed if he wasn't following the voice commands.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Wayne1

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »
Looks like your going to have to go back to Heel, and stay command's, with enforcement if need be.  Heel mean's "Heel, & stay means "Stay". Ya'll also might want to revisit "Here".   Good luck
Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. --David Letterman

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
Maybe a shock collar would be in order? :dunno:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Rowdy

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
Wow, gotta love the prey drive but sometimes it can be a bit much.?.  Commands are ment to be followed and should only be said once.  Unfortunately this is a situation were the dogs safety is a major concern.  If the dog is E-collar conditioned it shouldn't take much but if not I would walk the dog with a long check cord (or leash) into the situation and re-enforce the command here (or come).  You are the BOSS and what you say is the law!  Good luck and sounds like you have a good huntin dog that just needs a little reminder about manners.  I've never seen a NSDT in person but always thought they were good looking dogs with a great hunting background.  Let us know how it turns out.

Jake

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal