collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: amazing natural ability  (Read 1694 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
amazing natural ability
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
Just thought it was cool and wanted to share an experience I had with my 4 year old lab Chloe.

So I was out fishing on a west side river about 2 weeks ago, right before the blow out. I always take my lab with me when I bank it so she can dig holes in the sand, and throw sticks around and otherwise, be a dog. So we are walking down this gravel bar that has a thick blackberry strip between it and a farmers field. The dog is racing up and down the bar doing her thing when she screeches to a halt about 40 yards in front of me, noses up to the blackberries and freezes tail straight out, essentially on point. I've only seen her do this once before. So I creep to her and look into the brush can't see anything. I grab a rock and chuck it in there and about 40 quail bust out and disburse. At this point the dog is gonzo tearing through the brush and doing her best to find them again.

This would be normal business for a lot of guys and their labs but my dog has NEVER seen, smelled or been around a quail in her life. She has only duck hunted with me. She has gotten "birdy" on left over pheasants around release sites here on the west side, but I never imagined she would know that quail are a good thing and she needs to pay attention to them. She amazes me constantly at the natural intuition she has and drive to hunt, considering I've done little to no training with her whatsoever, she just knows what to do. Pretty excited at the idea of taking her east next year to hunt a little bit now.

I've also never seen quail on the west side before. I know they are around but just never run into them I guess. Kind of cool.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: amazing natural ability
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »
That sounds cool, maybe time to work with her a bit.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: amazing natural ability
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Yes, time to get her out and work the heck out of her!  My lab hasn't really ever seemed to "get it" with quail.  He scents them, but he tries to work them like a rooster and ends up expending too much energy with very little return.

The only bird he didn't really lock on to right away was retrieving doves.  The must have a different smell, because he looked at the bird and then me like "what did you shoot and why?"
Matthew 7:13-14

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand