collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: H20Hunters 2013 Spring Bear Thread: Corned bear review  (Read 194076 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: H20Hunters 2013 Spring Bear Thread: Tag punched, BBD!
« Reply #885 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:50 AM »
Good luck Ed....you got my number if you get one down.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Re: H20Hunters 2013 Spring Bear Thread: Skull in process, first viewing
« Reply #886 on: June 13, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »
Went up to see my taxi yesterday and pick up my extracted tooth. The skull is boiled and now needs to be finished being cleaned, whitened, and mounted up. Very cool. Didn't have a real good tape on hand but it probably goes between 17 & 3/4 and 18. Very cool to see it boiled and I'm excited to see it mounted.

Offline xXLojackXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #887 on: June 13, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
Who's your taxi?

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #888 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Michelle has my fall bear....moro locally here has my spring.

Offline Pygmy

• Scout
« Reply #889 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:32 PM »
Thought some might want to see my Winthrop bear skull after I cleaned and bronzed it.   

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #890 on: June 13, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
That is the coolest one I have seen Pygmy :tup:  Who did that?
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Pygmy

• Scout
« Reply #891 on: June 14, 2013, 05:47:57 AM »
Turner, I did the work.  I macerated the skull and cleaned it.  I peroxided it because that was going to be the end of it at the time for me.  Then I saw some of this work done and changed my mind.  This treatment could be applied right after the skulls been cleaned and dried.  I used the bronzing products from http://www.sculptnouveau.com/.  There's also copper, iron, nickle.  You can mix the metals to achieve different look and feel too. The cool part is they sell different stains/patinas/acids that will age the application.  It's real metal flakes suspended in the paint that harden into a metal coating.  I think I applied the stain too heavily on this first bear.  I've seen much better bronzing work but in the end I like it and it's tough.  It's perfect for placing a skull outside in the elements as it weathers like metal and with only the teeth exposed will last for years.  An application of sealer keeps the metal from aging any more.  Glad you liked it - I was certainly throwing the dice on a prized possession.

Offline Pygmy

• Scout
« Reply #892 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:59 AM »
Oh yeah, I recommend not having any exposed cuts when cleaning the maceration off your skull  :o  Almost crippled me before I realized what happened and could get to the doctors office a few days later.  Heck of a cocktail that process creates!

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #893 on: June 14, 2013, 06:25:59 AM »
Very cool Pygmy.....not a fan of metallic shulls but i had bever seen a bronze one.

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
Turner, I did the work.  I macerated the skull and cleaned it.  I peroxided it because that was going to be the end of it at the time for me.  Then I saw some of this work done and changed my mind.  This treatment could be applied right after the skulls been cleaned and dried.  I used the bronzing products from http://www.sculptnouveau.com/.  There's also copper, iron, nickle.  You can mix the metals to achieve different look and feel too. The cool part is they sell different stains/patinas/acids that will age the application.  It's real metal flakes suspended in the paint that harden into a metal coating.  I think I applied the stain too heavily on this first bear.  I've seen much better bronzing work but in the end I like it and it's tough.  It's perfect for placing a skull outside in the elements as it weathers like metal and with only the teeth exposed will last for years.  An application of sealer keeps the metal from aging any more.  Glad you liked it - I was certainly throwing the dice on a prized possession.
I'm gonna give that a try this fall. Thanks
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #895 on: June 14, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »
Michelle has my fall bear....moro locally here has my spring.
:tup: Moros Has Done Some Good.Work Form Us.

Offline snocohunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #896 on: June 20, 2013, 12:33:28 AM »
Good to hear they are working fast on your bear. Years go they had my goose mount forever. It kept getting pushed back by deer and bears, etc they said. Good people though, wish I could live on the air park with a hangar like theirs...

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #897 on: June 20, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »
Good to hear they are working fast on your bear. Years go they had my goose mount forever. It kept getting pushed back by deer and bears, etc they said. Good people though, wish I could live on the air park with a hangar like theirs...
I got my Buck back in May, and my sons spring Bear skull is done now.  They are good guys.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #898 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »
Turner.....did you get it done on a plaque? Got a pic? Text is fine if you got it. He and his brother turn skulls around fast! Looking forward to getting mine complete.

Offline Turner89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #899 on: June 21, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
We haven't picked it up yet. I don't think I'll make it there this weekend either Errett has a baseball tournament all weekend. We just went with bleach only, no plaque. I or he will post it up, when we pick it up though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal