collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backpacking gear suggestions---relative newbie  (Read 10988 times)

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
Re: Backpacking gear suggestions---relative newbie
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 07:53:32 AM »
I would reconsider the -20*, lots of un-needed weight and your going to sweat to death!

:yeah: -20 is overkill for just about anywhere in our state on any given day under normal circumstances

Offline deadwoodbuck

• Scout
  • predator outsmarting prey
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »
get your footwear and start breaking it in now
:yeah:  if you haven't already...the most important factor to consider.
"How, given the canine teeth and close-set eyes that declare the human animal to be a predator, had we come up with the notion that oat bran is more natural to eat than chicken?"

"Winners take responsibility...Losers blame others"

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
Be sure to check out:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/board,89.0.html

Specificially:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,97940.0.html

Lots of good info in that forum.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
That is a great hike, I have done it before.  Go in the summer and check the fishing regs, bring a small trout rod because when I did it years ago I caught trout and had them for dinner, even cooked up some large frog legs.  The one thing I wanted you to know is I came across 2 black bears while on the hike, so make sure you carry a side arm.  Other than that, a small tent, sleeping pad/ bag, water filter bottle, and dont go over 40 lbs on the backpack.  Great country out there.  Good luck and have fun if you go.
Sidearm is absolutely not necessary, You/He would be better off carrying a large 13oz can of bear mace. Testing has proven it more effective against any wild animals. Shuts down and Irritates the animals respiratory system, Plus, Its lighter :) 13oz can should give you 9-10 seconds worth of blasting at over 30 feet.

So I want to get into backpacking and doing some extended hikes. Am by no means new to the outdoors just the to the non hunting hiking adventures. I'm in decent shape for guy my size and am in the gym 7 days a week working on cardio.

What my question is, is what would the more experienced people here recommend for starter gear. I have a high Sierra multi day pack think its 3000ci a kelty -20* bag a MSR stove and some cheap camp cook ware I was given as a gift but that's about it no tent no sleeping pad nothing else.

I would like to hike the PCT from rainy pass on hwy 20 down to stehekin and ride the boat to chelan later this summer.

What would you all recommend for decently priced decent quality gear for a backpacking newb?

Thanks
Uplander

And about the tent, Try this one.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72836?feat=506854-GN2&page=microlight-fs-1-person-tent&attrValue_0=Pewter&productId=1217291

Its about 2 pounds and shouldn't be too harsh on your pocket spending.

And about the sleeping bag, Unless your hiking durring winter time, a 20+ Temp sleeping bag should do you just fine, Keep in mind those ratings are for almost bare naked body.
So with alittle clothing on while sleeping, You could easily do tempts to 10 degrees. Which I doubt you will ever meet that unless fall/winter/High elevation hiking.

Me and my girlfriend hike every weekend almost without fail. Its my drug.
Cheers man, Its a Great hobby. Also there are some awesome AWESOME lightweight rain jackets that are being sold now through "Frogg Togg" called *Toadz* Its a brand new line and mine cost me about $70 but it was well worth every penny. Its virtually indestructible.   Has lots of pockets, and pretty warm considering its a rain jacket.
Here is a link to those also.
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/FirebellyToads.shtm
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone didn't want to make it look like it went unnoticed been away from home and haven't been in touch with technology much.

Yeah I know the neg 20 bag is a bit much and am looking at other bags. I have foot wear I have a pair of whites I just had rebuilt and got them broken in so foot wear is covered.

I'm thinking this will happen if it does in September so I'm going to take a sidearm for grouse if its open in the area and once I'm out of the national park.

To the gym comments I know to some working out that much can be boring but the gym right now is my sanity pill and I know how far I can bend myself before I break and besides im a fat man and honestly tired of being the fat man been the jolly fat kid all my life and its time to change that

Thanks again everyone for all the tips and comments
Uplander

Offline MLHSN

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »
I hate to play the devils advocate.  But I don't think a 20 deg bag is overdoing it.  I use a twenty degree.  There is not that much weight difference between a good 30 deg and a 20 deg bag.  Being called can be the difference between a terrible trip and a good trip.

This picture was taken at massie lake the last week in Aug.

MassiePano by mlhsn1, on Flickr
this picture was taken in the middle of June in the Pasayten

P1010200 by mlhsn1, on Flickr

At Trap lake, a few years back, It hit zero degrees in the middle of September.  Bag's aren't rated for comfort either.  A 20 deg. bag doesn't mean that it's comfort rating, it means it will keep you safe.  Everybody is different.  But I personally like my 20 deg quite fine.  If I get a little hot in July,  I can just unzip the bag a little.  My bag weighs just under 2 lb's.  For me a couple ounces isn't worth sleeping miserably for a few days.

Offline MLHSN

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
oops, I just read that said NEGATIVE 20.  My bad.  Disregard the last post.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
I hate to play the devils advocate.  But I don't think a 20 deg bag is overdoing it.  I use a twenty degree.  There is not that much weight difference between a good 30 deg and a 20 deg bag.  Being called can be the difference between a terrible trip and a good trip.

This picture was taken at massie lake the last week in Aug.

MassiePano by mlhsn1, on Flickr
this picture was taken in the middle of June in the Pasayten

P1010200 by mlhsn1, on Flickr

At Trap lake, a few years back, It hit zero degrees in the middle of September.  Bag's aren't rated for comfort either.  A 20 deg. bag doesn't mean that it's comfort rating, it means it will keep you safe.  Everybody is different.  But I personally like my 20 deg quite fine.  If I get a little hot in July,  I can just unzip the bag a little.  My bag weighs just under 2 lb's.  For me a couple ounces isn't worth sleeping miserably for a few days.
Thats all welll said but he said -20

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
oops, I just read that said NEGATIVE 20.  My bad.  Disregard the last post.
i will not disregaurd those awesome photos  :tup:

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
Yeah my current bag is a Negative 20 deg bag. It's a great bag in the winter used it a number of times camping in the winter but it gets hot quick and is probably over kill for summer outings.

Anyone have any idea how long time wise a 30 mile trek should take?  I know it's going to largely depend on me and my walking buddy's pace but I was think doing it over three days to have some time to go off trail and explore

Yeah those shots are awesome and its good advice

Thanks

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
elevation and your phys. cond. will depend alot but we did a 30mi last year, encountered alot of snow, 2.5 days

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
Yeah my current bag is a Negative 20 deg bag. It's a great bag in the winter used it a number of times camping in the winter but it gets hot quick and is probably over kill for summer outings.

Anyone have any idea how long time wise a 30 mile trek should take?  I know it's going to largely depend on me and my walking buddy's pace but I was think doing it over three days to have some time to go off trail and explore

Thanks
Depending on you and your buddies abilities, and the time of year you go (Based off amount of sunlight in the day)
You could do a 30 mile hike in a day (Maybe near the mid-end of summer) , Thats alittle pushing it though. Id say 2 days would be reasonable for a 30 mile hike. I figure average person walks about 2 miles an hour, Give or take.. also depending on terrain. I know serious backpackers can do 100 miles in 3-4 days with a 20-30lb pack. My pack on average is 25lbs & Im 170lbs, We do 6 miles in about 3-4 hours. We also take breaks often and relax at the half way marks to take in views if they're available.
But like you said 3 days should make for a perfect "adventuring" trip... 10 Miles a day shouldnt be too hard on your body, Just try to get in atleast 6 hours of sleep each day. Need that time for your muscles to somewhat recover.

Gatorade makes an awesome powder mix for bringing back needed electrolytes. They have 3 different stage drinks, each pack fills 20oz container, comes with 8 packs. For the hike the 2nd stage "Perform" has high amounts of electrolytes + carbs for the active hike. They also have a recovery one for after your done, Contains milk products but its high in protein and doesnt need to be refrigerated. Would be good for the end of each day.

Offline MLHSN

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

Thanks

You ask hard questions to answer.  I've done 15 min. miles on flat clear trail with pack, sometimes I do trips I plan an hour for every 1k feet of gain, sometimes I do 8 miles in a day and am praying God will take me home before I'm finished.

Offline Zeroforhire

• Tracker
Backpacking gear suggestions---relative newbie
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
If you really want to get into hiking read up on the stuff at www.backpackinglight.com

Their forums are a ton of help.  Most of the stuff is too insane for my liking, but there is a lot of good information there.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
If you really want to get into hiking read up on the stuff at www.backpackinglight.com

Their forums are a ton of help.  Most of the stuff is too insane for my liking, but there is a lot of good information there.
Thanks for that, great first post for you  :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal