collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzleloaders  (Read 13369 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Muzzleloaders
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »
 I have really seen this issue make some guys get really bent out of shape.
 I know a lot of guys who feel if it isn't traditional it doesn't belong in the field. At my local gun club there is a lot of prejudice on the muzzleloader range.

I personally shoot muzzleloaders for the hunting and I'm most comfortable with a modern smokepole. I have been shooting a Knight Predator since they came out.
 What do you guys shoot?

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Muzzleloaders
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:40 PM »
Knight Big horn...
Selfishness, is what drives the arguments. I really have no advantage over the older smoke pole shooting wise. I use a peep sight that thay can put on there poles. I shoot the same powder, they can use the same primer. Flint lock is really the only one i think has a disadvantage when it is raining. I have shot all of them and i think that i shoot all equally as well. I like the ease of cleaning.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Slenk

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:15:39 AM »
Well some of you know my oppinion on muzzleloaders . From other posts.
I started hunting and shooting them in the 60s that 1960 . Before there was a special season .
I  build ( not from kits) and shoot Flintlock only . With open sights .  Real Blackpowder and  a .58 or .62 Roundball gets it done .
I tried an Inline one year and did kill a spike bull with it . Sold it and never went back to them . I just didn't like them . They have no advantage that I can see. Besides they are Uglier than s**t .
Slenk

Offline Shank

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »
I have 2 side locks and one in-line.  I mainly use the in-line for hunting, one of the side locks is too small for me, Santa got it for me when I was about 10, the other side lock is just a spare for friends to use.  I really can't say whats better I guess it's all opinion.  I've killed deer with both styles.  Both side locks are CVA the in-line is a Winchester (CVA)
I read it on the internet, its gotta be real

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:27:48 AM »
I'm a front stuffer.  Mostly what perturbs me are these idiots on TV, so proud that they got their animal with a muzzeloader, and its a synthetic stock, shotgun primer, pyrodex powder, loaded with a sabot, and topped with the new Burris 3x9 scope with increments out to 400 yards.  I wouldn't dare put anyone down in the hunting field, but definatley don't think those should qualify for any sort of traditional hunt.  Thank God Washingotn does have some limits for it.  If you want to shoot that that is just fine, use it during the modern season.   I be tthey are fun to shoot, heck any gun is. 

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
I hope they always keep it open sights. I do not care what else they do with the season. But i feel the open sights rule is what keeps it interesting. Put scopes on even the most traditional ML and you can pattern them.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
I'm a front stuffer.  Mostly what perturbs me are these idiots on TV, so proud that they got their animal with a muzzeloader, and its a synthetic stock, shotgun primer, pyrodex powder, loaded with a sabot, and topped with the new Burris 3x9 scope with increments out to 400 yards.  I wouldn't dare put anyone down in the hunting field, but definatley don't think those should qualify for any sort of traditional hunt.  Thank God Washingotn does have some limits for it.  If you want to shoot that that is just fine, use it during the modern season.   I be tthey are fun to shoot, heck any gun is.

Most ML hunts offered today are not listed or intended to be Traditional hunts. They are Management Hunts. Heck today it very difficult to find traditional rifles - they just not being made. At some point you might not even be able to shoot lead. Washington was very close to the lead ban 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:53:55 AM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »
I have 2 side locks and one in-line.  I mainly use the in-line for hunting, one of the side locks is too small for me, Santa got it for me when I was about 10, the other side lock is just a spare for friends to use.  I really can't say whats better I guess it's all opinion.  I've killed deer with both styles.  Both side locks are CVA the in-line is a Winchester (CVA)

You sure you have smoke poles? I think your talking like you know but you use high power .338 magnums and other center fire rifles during muzzleloader season..... :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 08:09:48 PM »
I shoot a modern inline CVA Optima V2 50 cal.  This is only my second year muzzle-loading, but I love it! I think the modern muzzy is a great gateway from modern rifle to muzzle-loading and I plan to work my way into the more traditional guns.  How cool would it be to have a successful hunt using a flintlock and round ball?  It's a goal I'm working towards...
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:51 PM »
I have both In Line and side lock.
I pre fer the In Line. I like the side lock except for the Hawken butt plate.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline storyteller

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »
I shoot traditional only.  I have a TC hawken 50,  TC renegade 54, I think a TC new englander (no name on barrel except TC) , picked up a TC 54 new englander?? in Ellensberg , and I have one coming (checks in the mail) That is how I started, used to be more people involved in mountain man clubs, people too busy now.  There is a pretty good read on Everett Herald, http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090109/NEWS03/701099861, from Jan 2009 over split between inline and traditional, and WDFW said at that time, the agency would be duty-bound to look at whether the seasons should be adjusted accordingly. And adjusted means shortened. And that's not what people are looking for," says Mik Mikitik, the state Wildlife Department's head of hunter education."Be careful what you wish for."

Offline storyteller

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 08:42:08 PM »
It seems like so many people have problems with inlines, powder did not burn, primer did not go off, gun not compliant.    BP is real black powder, not a substitute, if you are having problems try the real thing.  Close to 30 years of shooting my TC's traditional, real bang, CCI , Remington, what ever cap, I have never had a misfire yet.     

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
wow, I started this thread in 2007, not much has changed

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
Ive never had a misfire in 10 years with pyrodex,triple 7 or BH209

Offline PyroBlack

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:51:04 AM »
Misfires stopped the day I quit hunting with my sidelocks. All inlines now.

Posters WDFW Hates Me and Slenk,
Yes, sealed ignitions are an advantage to exposed hammers and nipples.
Yes, 209 primers are an advantage to #11 caps and musket caps.
Yes, breechplugs that can be removed, are an advantage to permanent ones in sidelocks.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Traditional with the removable breach plug advantage and faster lock time than a side hammer....

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »
Traditional? Jean Samuel Pauley patented the first in line action in 1812. That's only four years after Forsyth invented the percussion system.

So is inline, percussion or flintlock traditional?

I do hope Washington keeps some limits on it. No smokeless, no scopes, no primers, no electronic ignition.

I hunt with inline but had way more fun before Doc White and Tony Knight made inline what they are today. Killed a lot of animals with that old kit gun and prb.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:24:24 PM by TopOfTheFoodChain »

Offline PyroBlack

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
Did your inline of 1812 have a removable breechplug, 1-20s twists and 209 ignition?
If not, then are you still thinking that 1812'er isn't considered traditional today?

BTW..... 209 primers improve ignition and scopes improve humane harvests. Now that's more fun than the fun you used to have.

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
We had way more fun when a lot of units were open for either sex deer and elk and you could hunt coweeman all day and only see one or two other hunters. You could spend 3 hours getting close only to have wet powder and then try again later in the next cut.
Then inlines gained popularity and all the sudden guys everywhere wearing blue jeans, driving to landings, glassing while smoking and talking loudly with engines still running.

Yes, we were down in the bottoms of those cuts and tree lines already, been there for years and still watch guys road hunting.

Yes, love my inline now. I take full advantage of what's legal. I shoot very comfortably out to 300 yards with peep/globe sights and know each of my guns ballistics. My White has just over 10.5 feet of drop with a 460 grain Bullet at 300 yards. I took one follow up shot on a spike elk last year at 325/yards and hit it because I am comfortable doing it and know the gun is capable. That was fun.

But I really miss the good days before inlines became so popular. You haven't experienced muzzeloading until you try to keep the powder dry all day in the rain so you can take a shot with patched round balls from an old kit gun or Kentucky long...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]