collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coleman creek GMU-328  (Read 9064 times)

Offline ds2647

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Coleman creek GMU-328
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:47:46 AM »
can anyone help me out .... i am trying to find out ifthere is a camping area near coleman creek,   gmu-328.  i am planning on hunting that area during modern firearm  elk season.  so if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Dustin

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
Re: Coleman creek GMU-328
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »
There is camping near there, but not much (bottom of canyon). Be aware though, you cannot drive all the way up the road. There is a red sign on the right hand side that will say "No unauthorized vehicles" blah blah...

it can be easy to miss, as it is not that big. It will be after the barb wire fence gate...probably another 1/2 mile or more.

Anyway, there is also a road just after this gate that will lead up hill (left side). There is some camping on the top of the hill.

Finally, the Clockum road (just east of coleman) has plenty of camping on it.

Best~

Offline ds2647

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
Thanks for the info,  have you hunted that area ?  I hope i have some luck ..... only been elk hunting once  so i would like to fill my tag

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
I've been around there a bit yes. Never hunted modern elk though, I hear its a mad house up there during that time.

Offline ds2647

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »
i kinda figured it would be a mad house... that is how it was in wester washington for me last year. I plan on getting up there a few days early. maybe get me a chance to find the herd

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:41:51 PM »
Coleman canyon is actually open all the way to the top. Cooke canyon is closed at the bottom. There is alot of camping all over  up there. My suggestion would be to camp low and go up for hunting everyday. Especially if you have a trailer, a few people got stuck up high a couple years ago and had to abandon their trailers. Snowmobilers just ransacked everything. If you do find a herd be on them well before daylight on opening day, because I guarantee there will be multiple others that will see them also. Any more questions feel free to ask. I live about 10 minutes from the mouth of the canyon. I also own horses that live at the bottom of Clockum canyon and they spend alot of time up there.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:22 PM »
I remember the year  that ppl where leaving stuff up there.............oh mammy did it snow........used the bumber as a plow pretty much the whole way. I started hunting up there about 6 years ago and there was way more elk in there then there is now. Lots more ppl hunt there now too

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
I have noticed the last couple of years that the Indians are using this area heavily in September. Also all the comotion in the spring with antler hunting has made for a high death rate in the calves. I have been into some ares in the Quilomine (wintering area) and found places with 5 or 6 dead calves in less than a square mile.

Brandon

Offline ds2647

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:10:13 PM »
Thanks for all the info.
Dustin

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
It is a zoo up there. We have always called coleman canyon the "pumpkin fields" during rifle season. The elk will be scattering everywhere opening morning before light. 

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:08:29 PM »
luvtohnt,

Do you do any bird hunting?

Offline flyguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/redshunting
    • Red's Fly Shop and Hunting
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »
It will be pretty busy, I would bring your own firewood, fire pit, trees to tie the wall tent to, and for a small fee I will reserve a spot for you.   :)  Just kidding, it will be crowded but for good reason. There are a lot of elk in the Coleman and if you stick to the thicker timber and willing to stay quiet and let the other hunters work for you it will be a decent hunt.  Just get there a day or two early to find a good camping spot and don't bother road hunting.

Good luck.

Dream, Plan, Fish, Hunt.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 08:36:45 PM »
Coleman canyon is actually open all the way to the top. Cooke canyon is closed at the bottom. There is alot of camping all over  up there. My suggestion would be to camp low and go up for hunting everyday. Especially if you have a trailer, a few people got stuck up high a couple years ago and had to abandon their trailers. Snowmobilers just ransacked everything. If you do find a herd be on them well before daylight on opening day, because I guarantee there will be multiple others that will see them also. Any more questions feel free to ask. I live about 10 minutes from the mouth of the canyon. I also own horses that live at the bottom of Clockum canyon and they spend alot of time up there.

oops...your right luv...sorry for the misinfo..I seem to get cooke/clockum/coleman mixed up sometimes... :bash:

at least i had good intention...

Online C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
I passed up on a spike in 2005 due to heavy snow on the second Saturday. It was 2pm and snowing so hard my GPS was not working. I was a mile or so away from the truck. Would have been a good clean shot, but was afraid I would not be able to get back up to get the rest of the elk on Sunday due to all the snow. So that spike walked away with the rest of the herd. Had a tough time getting down the roads that evening, thought I was gonna slide of the road a few times. I learned to ALWAYS have chains!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]