collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: House bill provides help for hunting  (Read 15083 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
House bill provides help for hunting
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »
What are your thoughts on this?

I think it might be a good idea for some people. You'll definitely get a lot more people out in the woods next to you.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2003634901_outn25.html

Outdoor Notes | House bill provides help for hunting

By Mark Yuasa
Seattle Times staff reporter

The House of Representatives approved a bill that would urge more people, including youths, to partake in hunting around the state.

House Bill 1249, sponsored by Rep. Brian Blake, D-Aberdeen, would allow people to be licensed for hunting for one year without a hunter education certificate provided they practice the sport under the direct supervision of a Washington hunter who has been licensed for three or more years.

Hunting-license sales have been flat at just more than 1.6 million in fiscal 2006 and 2005, down from 1.8 million in 2004, according to state Fish and Wildlife records.

Blake said the bill should help reverse that decline in license sales, but not compromise safety in the field.

"Hunting is a fine tradition, and this bill can help more hunters get involved," said Blake, an avid hunter. "I want to see more young people enjoying this great sport while maintaining safety."

The bill authorizes a once-in-a-lifetime, one-year deferral of a hunter education course for persons born after Jan. 1, 1972, who are purchasing a hunting license for the first time. The application fee is $20 or less.

Both the supervising hunter and the deferred education licensee are required to follow responsible hunting practices. Both can lose their licenses and tags for up to one year for certain hunting violations.

Under current state law, hunting privileges can be suspended permanently for any hunter showing a wanton disregard for the conservation of fish or wildlife.

At the end of the one-year deferral, the bill requires novice hunters to obtain a hunter education certificate after receiving at least 10 hours of instruction in the safe handling of firearms, safety, conservation and sportsmanship.

State Fish and Wildlife may also accept certificates from other states indicating a person has successfully completed firearm safety, hunter education or a similar course.

The bill moved to the state Senate committee for confirmation this past week. The bill would take effect 90 days after adjournment of the session if passed.

Several other states are considering similar legislation.

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: House bill provides help for hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:06:44 AM »
Smell of another money maker for the WDWF, $20 to deferral fee for something your going to have to pay for anyway? I've also seen a lot of hunters in the field who shouldn't be trusted with a slingshot . As far as someone losing there hunting privileges this seems very slim to me. Your right it's a good idea for some, but a bad idea for most.
That's my one shot.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
I've also seen a lot of hunters in the field who shouldn't be trusted with a slingshot

I'm sure that is true   :chuckle:

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Scout
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:27:56 PM »
This is a very interesting topic.  There are a lot of people who want to try hunting in WA out (Spouses, Military, and Relatives).  But, by the time they get interested in getting out, the hunting season is already underway and all of the classes are full.  I share the legislator's concern with the number of tag sales declining, only for the fact that we need to keep our (hunters) numbers up or else we are no longer a demographic that the lawmakers will pay attention to.  Look what happened with Hound hunting and baiting (we didn't have a big enough voice to shoot this one down...)  I'm willing to put up with opening day crowds (which I really never see) to keep Washington's Hunting alive.
If this measure gets a few more people "hooked" like I am, we won't be such the minority in Olympia's eyes.
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
If I am reading this correctly it was delivered to the Governer for signature today.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1249

Bill as passed by legislature http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2007-08/Pdf/Bills/House%20Passed%20Legislature/1249-S.PL.pdf

Meat and potatoes

The director may authorize a once in a lifetime, one license year deferral of hunter education training for individuals who are accompanied by a nondeferred Washington-licensed hunter who has held a Washington hunting license for the prior three years and is over eighteen years of age. The commission shall adopt rules for the administration of this subsection to avoid potential fraud and abuse. (b) The director is authorized to collect an application fee, not to exceed twenty dollars, for obtaining the once in a lifetime, one license year deferral of hunter education training from the department. This fee must be deposited into the fish and wildlife enforcement reward account and must be used exclusively to administer the deferral program created in this subsection. (c) For the purposes of this subsection, "accompanied" means to go along with another person while staying within a range of the other person that permits continual unaided visual and auditory communication.

If either the deferred education licensee or the required nondeferred accompanying person, hunting under the authority of RCW 77.32.155(2), is convicted of a violation of this title, except for a violation of RCW 77.15.400 (1) through (3), the department may revoke all hunting licenses and tags and may order a suspension of one or both the deferred education licensee and the nondeferred accompanying person's hunting privileges for one year.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 12:58:06 PM by huntwa »

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Apr 21  Governor signed.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:46:02 AM »
It's fairly fresh news. I have not heard a peep and the best way to get information may or may not be to call WDFW. My guess is that it might take them a while to put in the pieces and communicate how this is going to be carried out; e.g. next year?

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
Smell of another money maker for the WDWF, $20 to deferral fee for something your going to have to pay for anyway? I've also seen a lot of hunters in the field who shouldn't be trusted with a slingshot . As far as someone losing there hunting privileges this seems very slim to me. Your right it's a good idea for some, but a bad idea for most.

WHat do you mean about the defferal fee? I believe most Hunters Ed classes are free! I do believe some do charge but that is only up to the certain class. We do not charge for our classes but we do accept donations that we use towards misc. supplies and covering venue rents. etc. etc.

I am still not sure how I feel about this bill. My knee jerk reaction is that its bad for safety! but I do believe it will be good to get more involved. If there was some way they could have done it a bit opposite, like offer first time license buyers that have successfully completed their hunter safety course a half price license or something to that tune. Some kind of break but not jeopordizing safety. Just kinda thinking outloud............

Online Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »
I feel the same way as Otto1, Im a little worried about the safety implications...hunter ed deferral for an adult is a little different than one for a youth.  Get them through a class and then give them a price break...or limit the deferral to over 18...maybe that is what the law says I havent read the whole thing...just my .02

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]