collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which Muzzleloader to buy?  (Read 8926 times)

Offline MuleyMadness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Which Muzzleloader to buy?
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
Whats the best Muzzleloader you can buy for WA Elk and Deer Hunting?
lover-of-the-couga

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
Re: Which Muzzleloader to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
 Depends what you want really. For a sidelock the TC hawken cant be beat,unless you go a custom. For in-line go with the Knight Bighorn or a Tc Black diamond. Just my  :twocents:

Sage

Offline mikeal1234

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
im happy with my traditions 50 cal hawken woodsman havent had that much luck with tc myself find that they are only as good as their customer service and personal i dont care for theirs

Offline mikeal1234

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
and the traditions hawken woodsman is about a pound lighter

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
For a side hammer I like the SS?Walnut Lyman Deer Stalker.  Can't warm up to the stock on the Black Diamond and don't like the allumin ramrod.  I'm also not a big fan of the removable breeh plug.  But,  all that's prolly just because I love my SS/Walnut TC Firehawk inline!!  It shoulders and points better that any gun of anykind I've ever owned.  They are pretty  hard to find.  But well worth the search IMO.

Best of luck with your search!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:42:32 PM »
I like the t/c  blackdiamond,try a few out.If I lived on the east side I would go more traditional.

Offline stlhdr1

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Knight Bighorn all the way!

Keith :)
Without NUTS, You're just another starving SQUIRREL!!
Elk, it's what's for dinner.....

Offline MeatDown

• Husband, Dad - OUTDOORSMAN
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
Lyman Great Plains (Hunter Barrel)... it has been a great shooter for me... I bought mine with the hunter barrel and then ordered the patch and ball barrel for an additional $149 dollars... so I can shoot what I want... and have the best of both worlds...

I am actually thinking about buying another in the .54 cal

I enter the wild because it calls to me and I am free, when I exit I put on a costume of civility.

CCA Member

Offline HawkenBob

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:31:40 AM »
IMO TC cant be beat. Lifetime warrenty and great customer service. My TC hawken is probably 12 years old. Every year you can send them in and get free service and such.
I have broke my hammer lock twice from banging it on stuff. I call, they email me a breakdown, I identify and they ship parts 3 day completely free. If you have time you can send it in and they will fix it free and send it back free.

They stress to send it in every year and they will clean, lube and replace any worn of questionable parts. I cant see beating that. Its been a awesome experience owning the TC. This gun was bought used at a gun store and I had no warrenty card or anything. They sent me all the manuals and such. Never had to "register" it for warrenty. Its a sweet shooter too boot.
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline Big Jim Jr

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:48 AM »
I have a Traditions and a CVA. Both cheap, both shoot great. I use 100grains of Pyrodex Pellets and either 295 or 348 grain Powerbelts. I converted both from #11 to Musket cap nipples, put a Thunderdome in the Traditions and have not had a miss fire since. I like the TC, but need to get into hunting more with a Ml before I shell more money. Remember in this state during ML seasons, #209 primers are illegal.
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly doesn't mean I am. It just means I can stomp you for calling me it.

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
I LOVE MY REMINGTON. 50 cal 310 knight bullets rws caps and 1oo grains pyrodex pellets.

Online mtndew

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
Gotta throw my vote up for the Knight Bighorn. Love mine!
One shot, one Deer. Two shots, maybe one Deer. Three shots, no Deer

Offline burnettd

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »
Two buddies and I have CVA's and love them... Careful though when sighting them in if you use a gun vise.  The back swivel will break if you don't remove the sling.  Mine broke on Sunday and required an epoxy job.

Offline .54 THUNDERHAWK

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
Have to throw my  :twocents: in for T/C.  I broke my stock internally on my .54 thunderhawk three days before we were leaving for elk camp.  Called and talked to the customer service, told them my dire need for a new stock and they sent one out right away 2nd day air. 

Roland, T/C manager, said that they usually require your old parts first but understood the situation and told me one was on the way and to have a good hunt.  Ship the broken one back to them when I got back.  If thats not customer service I don't know what is!!!!!  ROLAND is the man!!!   :rockin:

Offline sss5358

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
I am a TC fan myself. I hunt with my 1995 TC Thunderhawk and my back up rifle is a TC Black Diamond. Just can't get anything more accurate than my old Thunderhawk, not even my Black diamond.  I also own a CVA kit gun I built 20 years ago. It's a side lock but that old thing is accurate and has taken many deer. It's just a little on the easy to break side that's all. Lot's of good quality black powder rifles out there to choose from that's for sure. But TC does stand behind there equipment for the most part. Let us know what you buy.

Offline Dameion

• Tracker
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
I have been hunting muzzle for 8 years now and had nothing but problems for the 1st 3 years....so bad that I switched guns each of the 1st 4 years before I was recommended the T/C Thunderhawks by ".54 Thunderhawk" above in this thread.

I guess at the end of the day there are probably a few good solutions out there, and a lot of it depends on the way you hunt.  For the most part if you hunt in Western WA you better be ready to battle the elements as we do every year and we have had more than our fair share of misfires from wet powder and even wet caps over the years.

I can tell you that myself and our camp of 9 have had a wide variety of guns and all but one of us have switched to T/C over the past 8 years.  A couple Hawkens, 4 Thunderhawks and 2 Black Diamonds.

Offline Tegantunadog

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »
Knight Disc Extreme, 52 CAL
Knight Rifles modified the Bolt ( Its Called "the Western Kit") to make it legal in WA and exposing the Cap to the Elements They do it for FREE!!!! It takes the old #11, Muskets or can have 209 if you change the Bolt back.

Its the New .52 Caliber and It is sweet!!  I Upgraded from a .50 Bighorn to .52 for the long range. My family hunts in Iowa where muzzle loaders are like Modern rifles out here on the west side. They can have scopes and my cousin swears he hits 300 yds with 18 inches hold over.  I can say that I have hit the 200 yd target at Clark County GC with my peep sights but I can hardly see the Dam target.  I will let any one come shoot this thing so they can see the difference of the Calibers!!!  I really liked my Bighorn but now it just sits in the Safe......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal