collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Success!  (Read 8682 times)

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wyoming Success!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
Congrats! Nice to see.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
AWESOME!  Congrats man!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Buckoholic

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »
Nice deer to both of you. Congrats!!!  :)
A BAD DAY OF HUNTING BEATS A GREAT DAY OF WORK!!!
BUCKOHOLIC JONES

Offline Jackjr

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
Nice work guys

Offline coyotemadness

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 09:20:52 PM »
Sweet! Congrats to you and your dad.    8)

Offline jake

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
well i made it back yesterday and thought that i would log on and share some more pics from wyoming.

the story to go along with my deer and antelope, this year in wyoming i was really being kind of picky about the deer that i wanted to shoot, basically my standards were that it had to be at least a 4x4 because i have never shot a 4 point, and could not have crab forks, and not be a small deer. before Clark33 went back to school we were covering a lot of ground down there and seeing a lot of nice deer that i was passing, we spotted and moved on one deer in its bed  that we guessed at 24-27 wide 4x4 but when we got close enough to look it over really well we noticed that it had one strong side and the other side was basically a 2 point with crab pinchers, when i passed that one after about 45 minutes of glassing him i looked at clark33 and said well this is the moment in this years hunt that is going make me look like a idiot for passing or it will pay off and i will shoot a nicer deer, we both kind of laughed and slipped out never being seen by the deer. well later on that night we where in different area looking for deer and we happened to spot a small heard of antelope in the flats about 600 yards below us and there was one buck that looked very nice so we moved in on them and got within 250 and it took us a couple minutes to pinpoint the buck be were looking for but when we did neither of us being good at judging antelope at a glance watched him for about 10-15 minutes before i decided i would take him, but at that time he was about 285 away and below us. so i get the bipod all set up and wait for him to get broadside, squeeze of the 140 grain nosler and it sails over his back! but the good thing was it was very windy and they spook but dont really run away the all scattered but the buck i was shooting at was obviously rutting and just rounded them all back up and brought them right back to where i just shot at him. so about 5 minutes goes by and he cleared all the does, i squeeze another round off and drill him he goes about 50 yards and expires, so clark33 and i go down there find him and are both SHOCKED at the size of it 16.5 inches with 6.5 in bases then the work started and the 2-3 mile pack out started.
with the deer i actually spotted him skylined the night before and right at day break was watching the same basin that he was it and saw him feeding, but couldnt get close enough for a shot, so i continued to hunt the rest of the day passing a couple nice deer but still day dreaming about the buck i saw earlier, at about 2pm i decided i was going to move in and watch the area i had seen that buck the last two days, when i was moving up there i happened to catch a buck bedded down on the skyline but he was a smaller buck, but i noticed a antler sticking out of the sage about 20 yards below him and it was the deer i was watching earlier. so i managed to get to a big rock directly across the canyon from him and the other deer and make sure it was the deer i was thinking of, which it was. then i was able to crawl up the the crest of the ridge i was on the take the 258 yd shot across the canyon and bag this deer a 28.5 in wide 4x4 out of his bed. it was a great trip and we saw more animals this year than i would have ever imagined

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 10:24:59 AM »
Damn that is a nice Antelope!!  It's got killer mass and love how the cutters are so high.  Probably why you didn't realize just how good he was...little misleading.  Great animals...both of em'.

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »
Nice job!!  Great animals.  Seems like every hunt in WY this year has resulted in tons of game seen, passed up shots, etc., and tagged out hunters.  What a great year!
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
That's awesome looking country. Those bucks look hefty too. Congrats.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline firefighter4607

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
Both really nice bucks. That antelope would be misleading because of the cutters. Congrats on both of your wyoming success

Offline wackmaster

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
Cool congrats
Get outdoors and enjoy life

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »
monster goat...and great buck too.
congrats.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »
Smoker speed goat!! Congrats man!

Offline backwoods_boy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 08:39:09 AM »