collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: problem lion  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
Re: problem lion
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

Very Cool  :tup:
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »
 :bdid: No offense to you WAcoyotehunter, but any houndsman that helps WDFW with problem animals is shooting us all in the foot. I got a serious problem with the fact they even ask for houndsmans help. WDFW is our 2nd worst enemy in this state. They got rid of coyote hunting with dogs all on their own without any pressure from the legislator or the general public. We will never have a chance to get back hounding when someone gets rid of every problem animal that shows its face. Just something to think about. I know its got to be tempting to be able to get your dogs out in the off season, but we as houndsman need to stick together for our common cause. By the way, nice catch and good looking dogs too! I hope I don't sound to much like a jerk.

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
:bdid: No offense to you WAcoyotehunter, but any houndsman that helps WDFW with problem animals is shooting us all in the foot. I got a serious problem with the fact they even ask for houndsmans help. WDFW is our 2nd worst enemy in this state. They got rid of coyote hunting with dogs all on their own without any pressure from the legislator or the general public. We will never have a chance to get back hounding when someone gets rid of every problem animal that shows its face. Just something to think about. I know its got to be tempting to be able to get your dogs out in the off season, but we as houndsman need to stick together for our common cause. By the way, nice catch and good looking dogs too! I hope I don't sound to much like a jerk.

I would hunt my dogs in a heart beat. We are never going to get our hound rights back the way they were before I-655. If you don't take advantage when the opportunity presents its self you'll spend the best years of your hunting career sitting at home.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
problem lion
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
How do you know he was helping wdfw?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
:yike: This should fire off some people  :dunno: :chuckle: just remember the (coyote) was the escape goat for running hounds ...And do not worry ...coons will be the next one and then we run hounds no more ...We chased a huge tom from a park one time ...the only thing that stunk about it was we could not kill it ...he was a nice one ...and it was fun listening to the hounds explode on such a fresh track !!  Whatever it takes to hear your dogs doing what they do best is all good with me  :tup: :tup:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »

WDFW definitely are not houndsmens friends, and I think they are soft at being friends to hunters in general... As long as its PC like fishing, or upland bird hunting it won't attract the ire of the department.

HH i understand what you are saying. We won't get any help to get hound hunting back from the WDFW. It also seems like an opportunity to expand the department. Just look at the  Karelian Bear Dog's... Hounds are being run on animals YET the WDFW won't even support hound hunters in a pursuit only season to help train animals to stay away from people and dogs...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
WDFW tried to get hounds back on the landscape a couple years ago and I attended that meeting.  They want to have hounds as a tool, but the legislators (Hans Dunshee particularly) and HSUS and PAWS would not budge, despite the WDFW force feeding them some good biology.  I used to think that way- that if the houndsmen could stick together and tell the WDFW to try to catch a problem cat without dogs that we might get them to notice the need.... but they do know.  They are handcuffed by the initiative.  (which they were disallowed from "taking sides on")

As far as the coyote thing goes... I get it, but don't like it.  The WDFW did that because they were afraid there would be legislation and the animal rights folks would tack on more crap.  They went with the coyote rule to avoid another crazy initiative.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
"The WDFW did that because they were afraid there would be legislation and the animal rights folks would tack on more crap.  They went with the coyote rule to avoid another crazy initiative."

Sorry Bart, my personal opinion, this is complete BS.  ;)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
problem lion
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
Very cool!!!!  These cats are sure nice looking!!!!  Great dogs!! Sounds like they did awesome!!!   

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
It is dumb that they only call when there's a problem bear/cat... But there is seriously no opportunity out there unless your hooked up with the wdfw, timber companies, or a few other programs. I struggle keeping dogs that can hunt, pretty tough for an avg guy to run dogs here. So I would most definitely jump at any chance with problem animals and not think twice about it.

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 06:41:34 AM »
It is dumb that they only call when there's a problem bear/cat... But there is seriously no opportunity out there unless your hooked up with the wdfw, timber companies, or a few other programs. I struggle keeping dogs that can hunt, pretty tough for an avg guy to run dogs here. So I would most definitely jump at any chance with problem animals and not think twice about it.

:yeah:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 06:45:18 AM »
awesome pics, definately miss hearing hounds on the tree  :'( :'(
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
WDFW tried to get hounds back on the landscape a couple years ago and I attended that meeting.  They want to have hounds as a tool, but the legislators (Hans Dunshee particularly) and HSUS and PAWS would not budge, despite the WDFW force feeding them some good biology.  I used to think that way- that if the houndsmen could stick together and tell the WDFW to try to catch a problem cat without dogs that we might get them to notice the need.... but they do know.  They are handcuffed by the initiative.  (which they were disallowed from "taking sides on")

As far as the coyote thing goes... I get it, but don't like it.  The WDFW did that because they were afraid there would be legislation and the animal rights folks would tack on more crap.  They went with the coyote rule to avoid another crazy initiative.

WDFWcalled on all hunters to twart the merger between parks DNR and WDFW... And we showed up and were recognised. If they tried to get hound hunting back they sure didn't try very hard.

The coyote rule is a great example of the WDFW attempting to APPEASE HSUS and Paws, not to mention other anti hunting groups. Appeasement is a retreat, and causes a slower death of hunting but does nothing to stop it.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
Cool Pictures!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
BTW i think its cool that you have found a way to keep hound dogs active and running. What changed your mind on the WDFW from my way of thinking to your new one?

I would also like ot add that you live in the NE WA where the local politicians at least seem a littlem more interested in serving thier constituents.  :twocents:

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU