collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Was looking for the school house bell and got the sleigh bell!  (Read 9289 times)

Offline BellBoy08

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Was looking for the school house bell and got the sleigh bell!
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:39:55 PM »
Here we go, I first have to thank all of the members who offered assistance in my hunt for my moose. I was lucky to draw the tag, lucky to find this site, lucky for the area he fell, and most of all lucky to share this experience with friends and all of you.

My hunt began when they posted the drawing, and I have to say the pre hunt was nearly as much fun as the hunt itself.

Sept 30, we scouted while hunting for my buddies deer and his cow in the Mnt Spokane unit. We see several bulls "out of my area" and zero cows in his cow only area. We get back to camp and the doe is 100 feet from the tent. He zips his arrow and scores. As we skin the doe and this is around 530 pm we hear a bull grunt to the east of camp not to far away. I tell B that has to be my older brother coming in to camp, he has a knack of messing with us. B grabs his scope and says nope its a flippen bull and he is huge. I look and sure enough it is a bull and all I can see is the brow tines, " now that may be from all the advise from the people in the know but every bull I looked at, that was what I looked for. The bull trots across the meadow and grunting all the way. at that moment I felt the rush and now after all the time spent scouting and looking for  the trophy of a life time, I am amped! Sleep was out of the question, hunger was gone, whiskey..... well it was still in line.

No sleep, tossed and turned all night and out by the fire at 3 a.m. sitting with visions of the hunt. JB2 and JB3 are up at 5. Oh yeah we named my brother and partner JB 2 and 3 because of Jackie Bushman poster we had in the crapper. They are slightly hung over and moving slow. I tell them they should go look for the cow and I will hunt for the bull. I decided this based on I WASNT GOING TO SHOOT THE FIRST BULL I SAW!!!

Off I go, the rush was keeping me awake, the coffee was making me stop every 15 minutes. I get to where my son and I spotted the best bull I have seen and walk in to the bowl at the head of the drainage. Still a little dark for the sights on the bow so I stand for about 20 minutes and wait. Off in the distance I hear a grunt, the hair is up on my neck and for the first time since I saw selected on the computer I am ramped up! I ease to the edge of the bowl and start glassing. And there it is, the size of a Dodge truck, with a quad in the back!!! Crap, another hunter with a moose tag, here??? how in the heck could it be true?? I watch them for a few minutes and they call and call and call. Three guys they are good the calls sound great. Below me I see 2 cows running for their lives, then a bull, small spike. This is great, they are suppose to run towards the call and they are running from it. I sit it out and the truck leaves. Just about right where the Dodge was, nearly 1000 yrds away I see a black spot moving up the hill. There he was, I haven't seen this bull before and it was obvious he owned that Mountian. He is walking the road up hill towards the head of the drainage. I decided to head up and get on the road he was on. He is walking TOWARDS ME!!!! holy crap he is 150 and closing, wind in my favor, I am tucked away off the road 10 feet behind a log. I range the trees rocks get my ranges. This is the dream come true! 75 yrds, 50, 40, he is grunting as he walks, I draw the bow and.............. that fricken Dodge comes around the corner behind him and like a freight train he explodes off the road. *&^&*__^&$, the truck idles up the road and you know those Cummings are so quite!!!! I step out and the driver nearly has a heart attack. He stops and gets out as I am walking away and asked me what I was hunting for. I composed my self and quietly say moose. He spurts out, " damn we just chased one off the road right here did ya see him".  I nod and thank him for his scouting report. I had to ask, " what are you hunting for?" he responds with, " ah nothing just looking around, and trying to call moose". What do you say, most would ask have you seen any, some might chat, me I thanked them appropriately for F^%()^ my shot up. Tex offers to call him back to the road for me, So I politely decline as I explain I heard them calling earlier and watched the moose run from the call. His look on his face said it all! His buddy jumps out and says, "dude we have been gettin um to answer us all morning, and damn if dey aint comin in to us", hell if we can get ya one we could make a trade for some of the meat". I decline and thank them anyway, politely..

Off I go and decide to check the trail cam on the wallow I mentioned in previous post. roughly a mile away on a skid road I approach the wallow. A cow is standing up to her belly in the muddy water. I see a body of another to her right. then the calf bounces onto the road. I sit down quick and watch. The cow is joined by another cow. the calf is 30 feet in front of me. The one to the right steps out and it's a bull! Bow in hand what do I do??? The calf could careless, the cows are watching the bull, me, crap do I draw?? do I wait for the calf to move or turn away?? double eye on left trips on right, nice palms, 8 on right 9 and a nob on the left, nope the one on the road was much larger and he can't be far. For nearly 2 hours I watch the beast. the cow and calf separate and walk up the road past me the bull is now in the mud and the other cow is walking into the brush. Finally they leave. I decide forget it, I am hungry the only calls I have heard are the idgits in the Dodge, and I have two months! I walk to the tree to get the trail cam and it's gone. the bracket and chain are still there and the camera was broken off and gone. Nice!!! I instantly think Dodge truck but who knows???

Off to camp and food. I return with my daily report and JB2 and 3 are there. No cows they are so excited that they found the biggest wood cutting area in that area opened on the 1st. we exchange our pleasant hunting experiences and eat lunch. JB 2, my brother jumps up and says lets go find that big bull.

We head out and up the hill. I head for the bowl and they head for the ridge to spot. ten minutes down the road I see a small bull. Doubles or a double on the right 1.5 on the left. fearless the bull walks right to me within 20 feet, licking his nose and grunting or more so making a gurgle noise. I snap a few pics and let him walk away. Nothing after him just getting cold as the sun is setting. All of a sudden the buzzer on the radio scares the crap out of me as it vibrates my leg in my front pocket. It's JB3 hurry we found him!!! get down here, he is kicking the crap out of a smaller bull!!! we are on the corner where you left us. I answer and he doesn't answer back. I start out, the cell phone buzzed and I answer hurry up these things are fricken huge!! I tell him I am 10 from quad and 20 from the corner at warp speed. He says here talk to JB2 he has them on video. JB2 is pumped you can't believe this they are right here in the road fighting like two buses hitting head on. I can hear the clashing in the phone. I am running now to the quad, fire it up still on the phone and off I go. phone in pocket and dirt flying. I slide to a stop at their quads and JB3 comes running up the road, hurry! I compose myself and walk to where JB2 is standing, there they are, wow they are slamming into each other. I look and one only has one antler the other is a young bull. I laugh and figure what the hell this day has been full of excitement already so we watched them for a few. the fight broke up and one antler got the decision. Off to camp and sleep.
Oct 2, new day and new plan. JB2 and 3 have elected to stay with me and look for the bull. I am now Trent from the, The One show because apparently I said during the late evening whiskey seminar "He was the one".

Off we go right back to the same spot I am on the skid trail and they are high above on the ridge. 4 bulls and 2 single cows scattered in the bowl. No toad yet but he has to be close. JB2 calls on the radio and has him spotted. In the mix of the radio traffic JB 3 Spots him and I get garble, garble and garble. I finally say one at a time 2 go? he says in a whisper he is right below you about 50 yrds and closing through the vine maple. JB3 says he is headed for the road behind you. I ready my bow, and hear nothing JB3 says he is on the skid road, walking away from you. still silent, how can a animal nearly a ton and head gear at least 50+ walk through brush and be silent. there he is, ranged 58 yards, walking away. For the first time I  grunt quietly........ bad move he turns and like a missile from a battleship, he is back into the brush and now he is being slightly noise. or more like a hurricane hitting the rain forest, holy crap he just built a new road. JB2 says did you hit him, JB3 says he coming my way, before I can answer JB2 he's coming back your way Trent get ready. well dah, I haven't moved and my thumb is still in my..... release. Here he comes now he is grunting, or blurbing, he sounds sick, Prioms needs to work on his calls cause they don't sound like this guy! I see him, 20 feet off the skid trail, down hill up wind from me. He is frozen, he sounds like he has the dry heaves, I am 40 feet from him and it's like looking through a chain link fence of brush. I am patient and no shaking I am ready, make your move is all I keep saying to myself. 20 minutes of a face off with something that has no idea I am there. He is silent now. I hear a twig break behind me and he turns his head, brow tines from hell, and a tongue about 2 feet long keeps wetting his nose. one step towards me, ducks his head into the vines, another step... and all hell breaks loose he is mowing the vines like a brush hog. I move to the right and get in line to him broadside. the vine is now several shredded chunks. no shot yet, if he steps either way he is open for a shot. Man who was the dumb@$$ who wants to kill one with a bow?? oh yeah me.... he stands there like he has destroyed the world. motion less, the only movement is his chest. did I mention my knees are weak at this point?? yep we have movement of the shins. come on I keep thinking, move dang it! He did straight back and no shot. He wonders like he knew, over to the edge of the bowl where I was standing earlier and 87 yards away and out of my comfort zone on a animal that big. JB2 quietly says, told you to bring the rifle. I couldn't reply but it wouldn't have been to sweet anyway.  More to follow need to get back to work..

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Was looking for the school house bell and got the sleigh bell!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »
cool.  can't wait for the rest of the story. :)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline 75johndeere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
damn that story was like a high school girl = tease  :drool:

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
Hurry up, can't wait to see another swamp donkey on the ground.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
I am with ya on that! Reliving the dream :drool: Its like our hunt is not over!

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
quit, just post up a photo to hold us over.  The story will be worth finishing, wow what a crazy hunt.

Offline BellBoy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
how do you post a pic??? I have been trying too!

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
hit the reply at the bottom of your message and then you will see a button that says additional options, hit that and that is where you can attach a pic.  You CANNOT use the quick reply screen immediately below the message to post a pic.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:34:14 AM »
This reminds me of an old old case from the 1700's called Pierson v. Post.  One guy had been chasing a fox for miles and miles and was just about to kill it after he tired it out when another guy stepped in and dropped the fox.  The court determined that the person who killed the fox retained possession of the fox.  It's a famous property rights case. 

If you look at it from the rifle man's point of view regarding the moose, he is probably thinking why do you want a moose that he killed.  Also, another interesting question would be whether they knew the animal was essentially dead on its feet or injured when they shot it.  That would answer the moral question I have regarding this situation.

In then end, you did the right thing by walking away.  Albeit with a few verbal exchanges before you left...

Now, where is the rest of the story and the moose picture?

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
GREAT story man keep it coming!!!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
Jesus, aren't you off work yet?

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
C'mon man we're dying here!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline mingo

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
Sounds like a blast so far, besides those other guys claiming your bull. :bash: 

I have always gone with the whoever hits it first, its theirs theory but thats just me.  Plus you get to hunt longer anyway.  Ironicaly I almost ran into the same situation on my moose hunt but it was me taking the second shot.  Yes, the situation was different and I knew the moose was most likely already hit but I still had no intention of even trying to tag this bull even if I made the kill shot.  But as it worked out I never could quite get a clear shot and I dont think they ever did find the bull.  Its a shame for any animal to not be recovered besides the fact that this bull was a monster!

Good luck on the rest of your hunt, I hope you get an even bigger one!

Offline WaltHenry

• BMM
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
Great story so far. Sorry to hear about the one that got away. :( Keep up the good work cause I know I am living the dream vicariously through you.
No mess with Sasquatch,

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
Great story so far, would really like to see the pics though ;) Just a bit of advice though, you might re-think the idea of posting the way you are using those radios ;) :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »
be careful Rob, you might be labelled as being negative on every post. ;)

Great story

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »
be careful Rob, you might be labelled as being negative on every post. ;)

:lol4: Ya, thats me, negative Nelly. Just don't want to see him get in trouble!!!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »
 :)

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
Similar thing happened to a friend in AK, except his Bull was falling and staggering everywhere, but a guy with his daughter (14) takes a great shot, probably 200 hundred yards and drops it in it's tracks.  Now my buddy goes up there like a pissed off hornet ready for a confrontation till he sees the little girl gleaming and grinning from ear to ear, all that he could do was laugh and congratulate the girl...  They even helped them cut and load it to their ATV's.  We all had a good laugh at camp that night at his expense and for years after, we'd tell the story that he was going to kick the little girls butt....He scored the following day anyhow on a bigger bull...

Offline BellBoy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
sleigh bell

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
PICS PICS PICS PICS

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »
Great story and your bull has some good character to him, sounds like the hunt of a lifetime.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »
Great story man! Congrats on the bull.

Offline 75johndeere

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »
great story sorry to hear about the big one getting away after a beautiful shot i would be  >:(.  congrats on the other nice bull.

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
best story and most decriptive i have read....totally awesome....great job!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 09:46:24 PM »
Nice bull, I will be joining you soon I hope. Congrats again and great write-up.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]