collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proper Arrows for my Recurve  (Read 4727 times)

Offline BIGMIKE

• Hunter that likes to fish
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Proper Arrows for my Recurve
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
Folks, just purchased my first recurve, Martin Hunter 50 lbs at 28, my draw lengrrowsht is 27 inches. I was wondering if I can get some advice before I go out to buy arrows for it. I am planning on using it for hunting. Looking for guidance from Trad shooters in here. (Wood, alluminum or carbon, brand? Proper spine?  Fletching? Straight or helical? Broadhead and broadhead weight? Thanks again, I can't wait to shoot this bad boy.
Happy Hunting and Fishing

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
Re: Proper Arrows for my Recurve
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:58:18 PM »
Easton archery has a website that includes a calculator window to help you select the properly spined arrow. I shoot a Marlin X-200 and am very pleased with their aluminum shafts with a 125gr point or broadhead.

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
For wood arrows, I'd go with 60-65# spine cut to 28.5" BOP and shoot a broadhead that's 125 to 145 grains with three 5" helical fletches, left or right doesn't matter.

:tup:
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:31 PM »
 :yeah: Spot on. I would go with a zephyr broadhead. I really like there heads for trad hunting. I am right handed and shoot right helical. Even thouse most hard core trad guys will argue if you are right handed you should shoot left helical. Makes no difference I have ever seen.  I shoot 4-4" or 6-3" fletchings on my trad arrows.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Here is my  :twocents:

What type of arrow wood, carbon, or aluminum is a matter choice.  I like wood just because.  Now being you are new to this drug I will warn you.  Expect to go through arrows for awhile.

How did you determine your draw length?   Unless you have shot trad before it will change as your form improves so I would go two inches longer than you think you will need.  This will also allow you to stiffen the spine if you are using wood.  Changing point weight will weaken a little.  Also being you are a little short on the draw you may not be at 50# at full draw.

If you choose wood I would just call Northwest Archery.  http://www.nwarchery.com/
Suzann will get you fixed up.  Don't be afraid to tell her you are new to archery.  She will get you started.  Buy a dozen hunter arrows with field points.  Then get a dozen of the deluxe(6 with broad head and 6 with field) when you get things figured out. 

As for broad head choice, well that's like asking what is the best caliber for elk or deer.  Any of the main brands have killed a lot of animals.  I use stoss and grizzly's.  No special reason.

Tree Killer, Why so heavy on the spine?

Offline BIGMIKE

• Hunter that likes to fish
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I was wondering if the new easton injecxion would work on a recurve? I  was wondering how to properly measure your draw lenght on a recurve? Thanks again.
Happy Hunting and Fishing

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:54 PM »
Easiest way is to go to full draw and have a friend mark the arrow at the front of the bow.  Do this several times.  use consistent form.   Now ask your self; Did you go to full back tension?   Measure form the inside of the knock to the line on arrow.  That is your draw length.  Now go to tradgang.com and read all the posts on form and ask yourself if you are doing it correct.   Unless you have perfect form it will like increase over time by an inch or two once you get the muscles trained.

Not sure about the arrow.  Type of arrow does depend on if you are shooting off the shelf or using a rest.  Off the shelf you need to stay with a feather type fletching.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »
Here is a specific recommendation. Old school aluminum is the most forgiving shaft out of a traditional bow and you really need consistency when you are learning. Easton 2016 cut at 28 1/4" with a 125 grain head should group very nicely for you. Carbons can be very fussy to tune and if you don't have them just right can be really frustrating. I like wood arrows too but don't recommend them until you know for sure your form is consistent.

Offline broadhead

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »
I've tried almost all the arrows a recurve shooter would use. I have a recurve. Carbon, aluminum, cedar, bamboo, spruce, Douglas fir, etc... My take is that the least finicky is a nearly matched set of Douglas fir or cedar. Theyare the best deal because they will be consistent and fly true and be easy on the pocketbook. Go find an arrow maker whomhas a solid reputation and tell him you want good wood that nearly weighs identical and has the correct spine. Throw on 125-150 grin broadheads of two blade style. They've killed everything but dinosaurs (maybe a woolly mammoth?) It's worth noting that bamboo is good if you get a stash that has consistent diameter and well worked nodes. Make sire your emphasis is on good wood not flashy feathers and paints.
Die fish!

Offline Tree Killer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NWTF, NRA, OHA
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
 :brew:
Easiest way is to go to full draw and have a friend mark the arrow at the front of the bow.  Do this several times.  use consistent form.   Now ask your self; Did you go to full back tension?   Measure form the inside of the knock to the line on arrow.  That is your draw length.  Now go to tradgang.com and read all the posts on form and ask yourself if you are doing it correct.   Unless you have perfect form it will like increase over time by an inch or two once you get the muscles trained.

Not sure about the arrow.  Type of arrow does depend on if you are shooting off the shelf or using a rest.  Off the shelf you need to stay with a feather type fletching.

:yeah:   Not much more I can add to that post.    :brew:
"if you rattle, they will come"
"Stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline coxral

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Dreamunelk has a great suggestion! Suzanne is AWESOME! She started me into making my own arrows years ago, now I make some bows too! Also, go to 3riversarchery and they have a link to Stu Millers calculator. It also is AWESOME! You can match bow to arrows. Good luck and good hunting!

Offline OnHoPr

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
Your OP mentioned hunting. What ranges are you comfortable shooting animals at? If you are going to keep your range in the 20 yard or so and under then the heavier arrow. If you feel confident in longer ranges, then go for the lighter arrow. If you plan on doing a bit of stump shooting then go with the aluminum. Stump shooting can be advantageous to acquiring good instinctive distance reading and shooting skills. Ground debris such as small rocks can put hardly unseen fractures into wood and carbon where as aluminum will generally only bend. Those types of fractures can make an arrow explode on release which is not to pleasant. Wood is classical though and carbon can have penetrating qualities with less wind drift. 5" turkey fletching right hand helical if your right handed, if you get real good and are left handed and want to do a little target competition then maybe left hand fletch, if you can even get left hand fletching. A good SHARP cut on contact two blade but you could go three blade if you desire. Remember if you stick an animal and the arrow is sticking fletching end out of the animal as it runs through the brush that end of the arrow is hitting all kinds of brush and when it hits brush it is churning that broadhead inside the animal causing more damage and bleeding. So sometimes the aluminum or carbon can be more durable in that situation to where as the cedar might break, the bamboo could be very durable too in this situation. Just starting out I think the aluminum would be cheaper and more dependable while your experiencing your new sport.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]