collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge Bull Tag and Taneun Cow Tag (story of my dream season) 2013  (Read 12710 times)

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
 :yeah: :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline bur04024

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
First post, but have been watching this forum for last two years.
I hunted the Taneum last year for Elk and Mule Deer with OTC tags. During general Deer I saw a 6x6 Bull :yike: about 150 yrds below me. He was feeding in the open on a shoulder/spine on a super steep mountain side. He was covered in frost and he had antlers that just popped, a nice mahogany/red. My uncle and I stood there looking at him for a few minutes and he decided to walk behind a tree to cover his front quarter(smart animals). He kept periodically looking up the hill at us and probably figured it was better to get out of there so he made his way down the hill. I wonder if that is the same bull you just saw SLOWHAND? I never saw a shooter buck, only a couple of Doe's and young Bucks.
 I have spent a majority of my hunting career up in the Taneum, I go up Woods and Steel, and Peio Point, really you just get to the top and work your way in. Most everyone drives those roads like maniacs and just pull up, hop out and glass for 2 minutes then right back in the rig (even when I am visibly sitting and watching an area and glassing for quite a while :bash: )  I hope you fill your tag for a cow, I know they are in there, never actually laid eyes on a live cow. Saw one massive gut pile with the cows hide and head on the trail going up North Taneum creek. Buddy that lives up there says the Elk get on top at night and run the guantlet in the morning headed for the creek and thick trees/brush when hunters start pushing. So my guess is either wait at the bottom and have someone hike down and push them at you, or be the hiker.
Good luck, and sorry for a long post, hopefully it keeps the itch going!

Offline Crunch14

• Tracker
I'll be up there trying for a Spike with a buddy and my Dad.  If you see the 'Order of the Wild Turkey' camp feel free to say hi.  The first year the group went up there we filled 3 Cow tags in one day!  It was a lot of work but totally worth it.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
First post, but have been watching this forum for last two years.
I hunted the Taneum last year for Elk and Mule Deer with OTC tags. During general Deer I saw a 6x6 Bull :yike: about 150 yrds below me. He was feeding in the open on a shoulder/spine on a super steep mountain side. He was covered in frost and he had antlers that just popped, a nice mahogany/red. My uncle and I stood there looking at him for a few minutes and he decided to walk behind a tree to cover his front quarter(smart animals). He kept periodically looking up the hill at us and probably figured it was better to get out of there so he made his way down the hill. I wonder if that is the same bull you just saw SLOWHAND? I never saw a shooter buck, only a couple of Doe's and young Bucks.
 I have spent a majority of my hunting career up in the Taneum, I go up Woods and Steel, and Peio Point, really you just get to the top and work your way in. Most everyone drives those roads like maniacs and just pull up, hop out and glass for 2 minutes then right back in the rig (even when I am visibly sitting and watching an area and glassing for quite a while :bash: )  I hope you fill your tag for a cow, I know they are in there, never actually laid eyes on a live cow. Saw one massive gut pile with the cows hide and head on the trail going up North Taneum creek. Buddy that lives up there says the Elk get on top at night and run the guantlet in the morning headed for the creek and thick trees/brush when hunters start pushing. So my guess is either wait at the bottom and have someone hike down and push them at you, or be the hiker.
Good luck, and sorry for a long post, hopefully it keeps the itch going!
That sounds like how it works up on Gold Creek Road
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
 :tup: Hell Yeah, a fellow Renton hunter. Nice to see some one from my Hood. Graduate Hazen High School class of 1995.
As for the bull you saw, anything is possible. I appreciate your story and info. Counting the days one by one.
Your my boy bur04024 !!!
 Crunch14 I plan on hunting all day but if I see your camp (Sign I am Guessing) I will stop in and say Hi for sure. I love the comradely of hunting maybe you can give me some good advise.
Please keep the stories coming everyone.

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline bur04024

• Pilgrim
Well Im not technically from Renton. I grew up out on the Kitsap Peninsula. I am not even in WA right now. Im in Medical school so it is killing me to be in AZ this time of year. I will be moving to Renton next summer, so hopefully I will have some time to get away next fall. When I get back we should do some scouting and stuff! Drop some elk for me! I need pix, its how I get my fix.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
 :mgun:
I will try my best to put down a nice Blacktail buck for you this next weekend.  Pics included.
When Your done with school and back home I would love to take you out and show you some of my spots.
My hunting group has deteriorated over the years and it would be great to add a new member.
Six days till I leave and 7 till the Deer opener.
 :bfg:

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Good Luck!!!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
I may see you boys up on the Taneum also
I have a cow tag as well
I'll be in a white newer toyota
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Update
As planned got the Oldest boy and Myself some last chance shooting practice up past GreenWater.
Met a couple of really nice Guys Who were sighting in there 338. Big Gun. If I was thinking I should have asked to give it a try.
I wanted to point out the huge mess that keeps getting bigger every time I go up there.  :(
I try to Bring a trash bag each time and pick up for the others but one man and a boy won't be able to take care of this mess.
Hope the picture shows what I am talking about. ceriously I wish people would at least pick up there own mess.
Hey, MadMax I am a master Toyota tech for the last ten years. Nothing better!!!! I will Keep My eyes out for You and We can swap Info. From What everyone is Saying on here a cow should be a slam dunk. We Shall see. Good luck My friend and shoot a big one.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Cool thanks slowhand
I scouted it  a week ago, never saw one cow
so nothing is a slam dunk but I will give it hell
see you over there maybe
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
update
My three boys, Cousin, and my self hunted (deer) with no luck up in stormking this last sat and sunday.
My oldest boy was on point with this being the first year behind the gun.
He was really disappointed to not get a shot opportunity.  :'(
I have decided to take him with me for My first day of hunting up in the Naneum (last day of Mule deer)
I spotted two very large bucks up there a couple of weeks ago so maybe he will get that opportunity after all.
 :hunter:
Little beginners luck, please
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
I am back after a 4 year break. Update coming!
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]