collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on hiking Rainier  (Read 1812 times)

Offline lghtnquik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Advice on hiking Rainier
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
 Looking for some opinions on what you feel is the best day hike (8 miles +/-) around Rainier. My folds are coming in a few weeks, we have the ability to mountain bike in to get away from the crowds if that helps 8-10 miles no problem.

Offline mtbiker

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
Re: Advice on hiking Rainier
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
Since you mention mountain bikes as part of the adventure I would head to Klapatche Park and St. Andrew's Park.  Having to hike or bike a section of the closed Westside road will help with getting away from the people.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/klapatche-park.htm

If you don't mind a few people and do it mid-week, I'd head to Summerland.

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/summerland.htm

Offline GrainfedMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • That's my boy, Myles Montgomery
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »
Also, there is the Skookum flats trail. 12.5 miles up one side of the river and then back down the other side. Back in the 90's, Mountain bike magizine rated it as one of the top ten trails in the US. It is just off of Highway 410 at the Dalles camp ground. Go into the camp ground and there are a couple of parking spaces that are not camp sites. Go down river on your bike in the camp ground and that turns into a single track trail. About 50 yards you will run into a road that goes over the river. Go over and you will see another single track trail going back up river. You are now on the Skookum flats trail. Go as far as the suspension walk bridge that again goes over the river and then head back down river and you will run back into the camp ground. It is a pretty narly single track trail. Lots of tree roots and half exposed rocks and then there are some smooth really fast sections. The faster the better. I loved weaving in and out of the trees. Where ever you go in that area, it is really nice country.
  There is also a 12 mile single track trail off the top of Crystal Mountain. Ride the chair up, and when you get off the lift. Turn right and follow the ridge and you will run inti the trail. It will take you back down the mountain and you come out a couple of miles below the lodge.
A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey!

Hunting and fishing is boring....Killing and catching is fun.  Quote: John Hubbard,  Master Sargent, Washington Army National Guard

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »
The hike up to Muir is a good one. You'll see folks for sure, but it is easily a day hike during mid summer.

HT

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:28:41 AM »
If you want to bike then hike and get away from larger crowds, a relatively flat trip is to pedal from the Carbon entrance up to Ipsut Creek, then hike up to the Carbon Glacier and the suspension bridge. The previous suggestion (Klapatche Ridge and St. Andrews Park) is excellent and more athletic. Also off the West Side Road is Gobbler's Knob. One of my favorites, featuring some cross-country travel, is to hike out of Mowich Lake to Knapsack Pass, then around Mt. Pleasant, through Spray Park and back to Mowich. Excellent loop.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]