collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any way to trap a coyote?  (Read 7261 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Any way to trap a coyote?
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
I live in a semi-rural area and have a coyote problem.  There is a den across the road in a wooded area (I can hear them at night all the time). 

I'm going to shoot them if they show up in the daylight or in the where I can see them at night, but was wondering if it was possible to trap them?  Anybody have any thoughts?  I've read that they are almost impossible to get in a live trap. 

Any pointers would be great.  They ate a chicken the other day while i was at work.  Damn thing was brave enough to come within 10 feet of my front window to snatch it out of the front yard.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
Re: Any way to trap a coyote?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:14:39 PM »
I live in a semi-rural area and have a coyote problem.  There is a den across the road in a wooded area (I can hear them at night all the time). 

I'm going to shoot them if they show up in the daylight or in the where I can see them at night, but was wondering if it was possible to trap them?  Anybody have any thoughts?  I've read that they are almost impossible to get in a live trap. 

Any pointers would be great.  They ate a chicken the other day while i was at work.  Damn thing was brave enough to come within 10 feet of my front window to snatch it out of the front yard.
Wouldn't give it the benefit of the doubt. Shoot those things. All of them.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
I am pretty sure you need a trapper licesnese to trap them.   Call WDFW they may be able to put traps out :dunno:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

That's the plan.  I just have to be around when they are.

The reason behind the live trap was so I can release the neighbor dogs, my dogs, etc.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:15 PM »
dude hang a huge piece of meat in a tree just to where they can get at it and watch it just as the sun is coming up or going down, you will be able to pick them off... if there is any meat packn companies by your place they will be able to hook you up  :tup: keep us posted
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

The reason behind the live trap was so I can release the neighbor dogs, my dogs, etc.
You want to trap your dogs?

We have a sheep farm across the street from my girls, I hear coyotes around alllll the time, Im just not *censored* enough to go talk to the land owner and ask if hes had any problems and needs me to do alittle exterminating. Not that I know what I'm doing, but It would make for great target practice.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
dude hang a huge piece of meat in a tree just to where they can get at it and watch it just as the sun is coming up or going down, you will be able to pick them off... if there is any meat packn companies by your place they will be able to hook you up  :tup: keep us posted
Even maybe leftover salmon heads or something? Those seem to reek really well in the sun. Thats a good idea though. pew pew.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »

We have a sheep farm across the street from my girls, I hear coyotes around alllll the time, Im just not *censored* enough to go talk to the land owner and ask if hes had any problems and needs me to do alittle exterminating. Not that I know what I'm doing, but It would make for great target practice.

Not particularly, but I'd rather accidentally catch them in a live trap than some other trap.  The traps will be in my yard, which is also where my dogs are.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »

I had a nice bait pile going last year and it would have worked great if I were to have shot some of them.  I tossed a couple deer hides and the bones in my pasture and saw a yote at least a few times a day for a few days.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »
now is the time for sure cause they have young ones so they probaly gonna be a little more hungry. the hangn it in a tree works awesome at my place, but i also have all the room a fella could want

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 12:24:15 PM »

Not particularly, but I'd rather accidentally catch them in a live trap than some other trap.  The traps will be in my yard, which is also where my dogs are.
Oh ok I get it.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

Smossy, put on your big girl pants  :chuckle: and go knock on that door.  Coyotes are hard on sheep, I would bet that you get permission for access.  All those yoty backstraps are calling.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
there are companies that commercially make live coyote traps I don't know the legalities of and they are spendy but you won't have to worry about random dead pets to have to explain to the neighbors.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »

WSU, I've seen coyotes eating apples.  Maybe that would be a better alternative bait that wouldn't be stinking up your place and attracting your own dogs. 

Might look up hog traps on youtube.  I bet a "hog pen" with a trap door would work.  I've often thought if a guy was building a chicken coop, one corner should have a live trap built into it.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »

Well there goes my favorite method

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:22 PM »
there are companies that commercially make live coyote traps I don't know the legalities of and they are spendy but you won't have to worry about random dead pets to have to explain to the neighbors.

Oh my god, what makes you think coyote traps are lethal?

No trapping license needed to protect your animals (mention of a dead chicken) if it is on your own property. That's for cage traps. You can set cage traps but don't get your hopes up. Highly unlikey you will catch many coyotes in cage traps.
Other option is you can get a special permit to use padded jaw traps. Will they catch your dogs? Probably but so what. Go out and turn them loose. Unless you have dumb dogs they'll learn to steer clear of them. It is a huge myth that traps mean injuries to dogs. That being said you have to know what you're doing and have the right traps.
For a non-trapper it is a steep learning curve. I recommend you forget about trapping them. You probably won't be succesful.
Hanging meat sounds pretty far fetched to me too. Good if you want to attract flies.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »
 :yeah:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »

No trapping license needed to protect your animals (mention of a dead chicken) if it is on your own property. That's for cage traps. You can set cage traps but don't get your hopes up. Highly unlikey you will catch many coyotes in cage traps.
Other option is you can get a special permit to use padded jaw traps. Will they catch your dogs? Probably but so what. Go out and turn them loose. Unless you have dumb dogs they'll learn to steer clear of them. It is a huge myth that traps mean injuries to dogs. That being said you have to know what you're doing and have the right traps.
For a non-trapper it is a steep learning curve. I recommend you forget about trapping them. You probably won't be succesful.
Hanging meat sounds pretty far fetched to me too. Good if you want to attract flies.
it isnt far fetched, i killed 2 in my back yard doing it this way, hung a deer carcass and the skin in a little cedar tree just high enough where they could get at it, killed one first thing in the morning and one in the evening, but where i live it isnt like the yotes are educated, they never have anyone messn with them  :tup:

Offline pnwmtnmn

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Why do I have one wet foot?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »
Jack master, you got lucky! I know a guy in Okanogan county that shot a coyote from his yard, skinned it where it fell and in the morning had 2 bobcats eating on it shot them and admits that it will never happen again in his lifetime. Just cause you had it happen once doesn't mean it is a sure thing.
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:45 AM »
Jack master, you got lucky! I know a guy in Okanogan county that shot a coyote from his yard, skinned it where it fell and in the morning had 2 bobcats eating on it shot them and admits that it will never happen again in his lifetime. Just cause you had it happen once doesn't mean it is a sure thing.
never said it was a sure thing, it is an idea man  :tup:

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
  • Groups: NTA, FTA,GTA,TFH
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:49 PM »
I usually sell about two  to three large traps for dog sized animals a week.  The traps are just too expensive to make and ship. Conventional methods are just more practical.

Started building one today and will finish tomorrow. It is extremely open. It can be set to where there is only a couple of directional props to get in the cage to fire the doors. One of the ways the trap can be set is like a dirt hole set. Prepare where the trap is to be set. Dig hole. Place trap over hole. Make  look like an animal has been digging. Place bait  in hole. When animal digs in hole trap fires. Base of trap has a slot that omits the wire. This is set over hole. In order for the animal to dig or get to bait the slot makes him turn due to the angle. This make his hind end be in the trap when the trap fires.

Just came up with this set for the trap, but will incorporate on rest made of this design. It is a two door- side door trap. The back has a door and there is a door the complete length of the trap. There are 12 springs on the side door, and 6 springs on the back door. When set it has only two sides showing with a small partition or sticks and rocks to guide him.

The problem is the trap is a little complex for some. There is not just one way to set and bait but about 10 or more.

Cages just have to be too big to be practical for any very large animal over conventional methods  in my opinion

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 07:00:29 PM »
A study in California conducted a few years ago:

Efficiency
We set 46 SoftCatch traps, 45 WS–T, 43 Collarum, and 41 cage-traps in Arizona and south Texas during the autumn of 2001 and the spring of 2002. During 492 trap-nights we captured no coyotes in cagetraps and had no coyotes activate the trap mechanism (zero efficiency).  During 483 trap-nights we captured 13 coyotes (27 per 1,000 trap-nights) coyotes in the Collarum restraint, with 15 potential captures (efficiency= 0.87, SE=0.09 ). During 507 trap-nights we captured 7 coyotes (14/1,000 trap-nights) of the 8 that activated the WS–T snare efficiency = 0.88, SE = 0.13). We captured all of the 25 coyotes that activated the SoftCatch traps (efficiency=100%) during 517 trap-nights (48 coyotes per 1,000 trap-nights).
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
The problem with studies, most are out dated and limited at the time by the experience of the trapper doing the study or the limitation put on the study.

Snares, footholds, and cage traps have improved dramatically in their ability to catch in the last 10 years , in the last 5 years. That in itself changes all -especially if the person reading, trying to learn, is limited on the changes.

Just the quality video, that can be purchased, has very much improved in the last ten years.

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
Here is a picture I took today of the trap showing slot in bottom of trap with wire trigger placed in slot. To finish the set I really needed to dig the hole under the slot deeper and place wires lower. I needed to slant partition more and cover with debris. Also needed to place dirt on bottom of trap. Will try and post two pictures to give more clarification.

The idea is to get him to come in turning to dig or smell and getting in position. When he bites or digs bait, trap fires. The partition is to be positioned to make him turn and go the way you want him to, just like a dirt hole set conventional.

There are 12 springs on the side door and 6 on the back door. The folding partition in the background can also be used in place of the single one in the picture.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Re: Any way to trap a coyote?
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »

I'm not a trapper and mostly have just seen noose snares used for coyote and wolf. 
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline TheNoob

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Tracker
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
I have had a buddy trap some yotes, but it is not easy. you need like a 30 by 30" 36" long. It needs to be desented by fire or someway. Always keep away from any people, use through away gloves when touching it. Put it on the very back of a truck when transporting it. use something like afterbirth for bait, it is a natural bait for them. then find a good spot. The longer the trap the better because you can use 2 doors that drop when triggered. He has done his trapping in Eastern Washington..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal