collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scirocco II Bullets, are they any good?  (Read 19535 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Scirocco II Bullets, are they any good?
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:46:41 PM »
I was thinking of trying some Scirocco II Bullets but was looking for some comments before I try them? Anyone shot any animals or targets with them?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline hoyt2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Scirocco II Bullets, are they any good?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I found them fickety to reload. results on game were good. I switched to accubonds same results on game but not as hard to find that sweet spot when reloading. its a good bullet.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:32:08 AM »
I had a couple guys shoot bear with them.  Tissue damage appeared less than guys that shot the same loads and similar shot placements with Accubonds.  Never recovered the kill bullets so I don't know what they looked like.  Funny that Hoyt2002 mentions them being fickety to load.  Both guys, shooting them from the 300Wby, said the same thing.

I'm a big fan of the A-Frame, but for me the jury is still out on the Scirocco. I would like to see what the little 100 grainer does out of your 257 Wby.  I would find that quite interesting!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »
Glad to hear some comments. I was thinking of trying the Scirrocco's in 270, 280, and maybe 30/06. I'm not sure those calibers are fast enough to get the best performance out of Barnes TTSX. Maybe I need to try the accubonds, they seem pretty popular with everyone.  :dunno:

Rad, I am so happy with the results we have had with the 100 TTSX out of the 257 that I probably won't try any other load in that caliber for big game. I think I also told you about loading some 75 GR HPBT's at 4000 fps that are killer on varmints. The other day I noticed somebody had some 70 gr bullets I may have to try those, they ought to scoot along even a little faster. Would be neat to at least try them out.  :chuckle:

Might like to try some Sciroccos in the 30 mags for mid to long range hunting too. Anyboduy killed anything at 400-500 or more with them?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »
I was thinking of trying the Scirrocco's in 270, 280, and maybe 30/06. I'm not sure those calibers are fast enough to get the best performance out of Barnes TTSX.

Swifts velocity performance range seems to be dang close to that of the TTSX.  Not sure there would be much difference.  I cut a Scirocco in half years ago when Remington first started loading them.  The core seemed really hard.  Much more so than the Accubond.

FYI - That 325 WSM Accubond I shot the bear with this last spring had a MV of 2900 (about 2500 at impact).  I'd expect that puts it velocity wise right between the 30-06 and 280.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:22:58 AM by RadSav »

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:22 AM »
I bought a box when they 1st came out.. seemed to be a good bullet but I could not get them to shoot a group worth the heck ..Never tried loading any yet ...looks like they hold up well according to Radsav's chart ..But what were those bullets fired into to get those results ... A phone book ? Would be a little different result when hitting flesh and bone .. ;) just saying  :chuckle:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:19:14 AM »
I would assume the industry standard is ballistic gelatin, isn't it? 

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:39 AM »
:chuckle: morning RS ... :chuckle: :tup:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 06:37:36 AM »
:chuckle: morning RS ... :chuckle: :tup:
Is it already? :chuckle:  Might be time for me to go to bed then.  Been locked up in the cave for the past four days.  I'm beginning to hate accounting.  Wonder what the suicide rate of accountants is? Have to ask Bean Counter.  I bet it's high!

I honestly don't know what they shoot those test bullets into.  Seems everyone but Barnes posts pictures of something similar.  I just assumed they would have an industry standard  :dunno:  But I agree with you.  Most of these bonded bullets perform better than these pictures show if they make some contact with bone.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 07:39:35 AM »
Never shot the swifts, but the accusing seems to hol up well in a large velocity range in my 270.

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
I shoot 150 grain Sciroccos out of my 7mm ultra with great accuracy and bullet performance. Killed an Elk last year at 489 yards with a 25 mile an hour cross wind, bullet performed flawlessly. I recovered the bullet, didn't weigh it, but it looked like it was at least 90%. Killed a couple Bears and a couple 70 to 100 yard shots on Deer with no problems. I really like them out of this gun.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline suga

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
I found them fickety to reload. results on game were good. I switched to accubonds same results on game but not as hard to find that sweet spot when reloading. its a good bullet.

I have used the Scirocco II with success.  I have found similar results as hoyt2002.  But, have discovered that it can be cartridge specific.  The Scirocco's shoot really good out of my 260 Rem, but out of my 264 Win Mag not so good.  I believe that the load data for these bullets has not been published yet, I had to call Swift to get load data.  They will tell you if they have gotten good data/results for your cartridges. 

Offline Feanix

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
Am starting load development on 130gr sciroccos for a .270. From what i hear they perform well if kept above 1800 fps. When they get around that range they can sometimes pancake without penetrating because they have more copper in the jacket than other bullets.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
Am starting load development on 130gr sciroccos for a .270. From what i hear they perform well if kept above 1800 fps. When they get around that range they can sometimes pancake without penetrating because they have more copper in the jacket than other bullets.

Since you brought up that speed, are there really any bullets that perform well at less than 1800 fps?  Maybe bergers?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »
I have run them threw several guns. I got them to shoot pretty well but not as well as my accubonds. I will be trying some 90gers side by side with the 90g accubonds in the the new 243 wssm.

1800 FPS is kinda standard for minimum bullet performance with a lot of bullets.

I have never had much luck with berger and seen some poor results on animals.

That is one of the reasons why I am excited to try the accubond long range with a minimum speed of only 1300fps. That will make for some great long range killing power.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87