collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A week in Douglas County  (Read 1708 times)

Offline WonkyWapiti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
A week in Douglas County
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
I hunted the St. Andrews unit in Douglas County this week after missing the opening weekend.  I guess I didn't miss much during opening weekend as my buddies told me there were more hunters than they had ever seen and it was totally crazy with hunters crowding each other out.  I got out out there on Monday and I got back home today.  I am dead tired right now.  My buddy and I hiked our butts off.  I tried a bit of everything from road hunting, pushing areas, setting up in ambush spots, and to hiking and covering as much sage country as we could (which was great since we were out there on our own as most of the hunters were road hunting).  What amazed me this year was the lack of legal bucks.  I saw a number of spikes and 2 by's.  Our group of five got skunked and in the last couple of years we have all tagged out but not this year.  The only time I saw any legal bucks was when we were hoofing it way out into the sage and when we did see them they were just cresting over a hill about 300 to 400 yards away with no time to get a shot off by the time we saw they were legal.  The one thing that really pissed me off was a 2 by that I came across that had been shot and left by some hunter.  Some retard probably shot at the thing thinking, "oh it must have eyeguards," and then he left it when he found out if wasn't legal.  Yesterday I saw a rattler and found a shed, which ended the highlight of my hunt.  I enjoyed myself and loved being out there.  I'd like to hear from anyone else who may have hunted that area and what they saw.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]