collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bellingham to pay man $15000 for harrassment  (Read 12720 times)

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
Re: Bellingham to pay man $15000 for harrassment
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
You know the two instances are completely different. You're baiting. I'm not biting. Have a nice day.
On the contrary I dont think they are that different. But we'll just leave it at that then.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »
So having a gun pointed at you point blank not knowing if you will be alive if 5 five seconds because there is an almost brain dead thug at the other end of the gun is nothing? A liberal would say just what you did sticking up for the guberbent thugs. At least we all know if your life is ever threatened all the guy has to do is say sorry later and it will be all better.....

That's my stance.. 'Sorry' isn't good enough. Grand kudo's to the guy if he did actually donate the money back into the training program. His point was made. He got his apology I guess.   LEO or not.. (and I wouldn't stereotype any of them as being brain dead), Point a gun at me for no good reason, I'll likely become combatant. I think most people would.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
I must admit, I am quite surprised at the overwhelmingly liberal point of view almost every single poster has on this thread.   Really, really surprised, and saddened. :(

I can't wait to hear what you're calling a liberal point of view. This should be good. Please be more specific. Thanks.  :tup:

OK, you asked for it.  Anyone who expects something for nothing.  Which in my experience is exactly what happened here, imho.  The Master Seargent deserved no more than an apology in my opinion, and assurances it wouldn't happen again.  All said and done, for what we know, the officer was just doing his job.  Someone called and complained that there was a man in the park walking around carrying a gun, the officer responded and most likely felt he was doing his job.  Was he over zealous yes,  should he have known the law, yes.  Does the Master Seargent deserve an apology, yes.  And that's all in my opinion.

Someone expressed the opinion on this thread that maybe they deserve a settlement for pain and suffering following a car accident.  If they are disabled and can not work, then yes, I agree they do deserve a settlement.  Do they deserve having their wages paid while they can't work and have their car fixed yes.  Do they deserve to get money because they had a stiff neck for 2 weeks and couldn't go on their evening walk with their little sweetie, simply because someone ACCIDENTLY hit the gas when they should have hit the brake.  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  It was an ACCIDENT, period.  That and the feeling the Master Seargent should be paid simply for having a gun pointed at him, those are LIBERAL sentiments, expecting something for nothing.  Just my honest opinion, and when the country started feeling that way it has become a slippery slope, a slippery slope indeed.

So having a gun pointed at you point blank not knowing if you will be alive if 5 five seconds because there is an almost brain dead thug at the other end of the gun is nothing? A liberal would say just what you did sticking up for the guberbent thugs. At least we all know if your life is ever threatened all the guy has to do is say sorry later and it will be all better.....

Well I guess having a gun pointed at them is just simply more traumatic for some people than it is for others.   Maybe I just have a single feeling, and this wouldn't have hurt it.  Maybe I just think that if there is no blood there is no foul.  Maybe I've just put myself in enough situations in life where having a gun pointed at me for 5 seconds, although certainly something that would get my attention, it is not something I would accept money for, especially from someone who believed they were simply doing their job, and I walk away uninjured.  Guess I was just raised different, my Daddy is 66 years old this fall, and I'm 47.  But he would still get up outta his chair and slap the ever loving pi$$ right outta me if I told him this story happened to me and it hurt my little feelings so bad I made them pay me 15k for it.

If the story that the Master Seargent returned the money for assurance of more training or gave it to a charity of some sort is true, well then he just earned a lot more respect from me.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 09:22:58 AM »
GT, your insistence in belittling the OP's situation by describing that this is about nothing more than a little hurt feelings shows your unwillingness to attempt to grasp the counterarguments made in this thread.  Feel free to remain belligerent - that's your choice.  But belligerence is never convincing.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
And, I have a strong suspicion that having a gun pointed at you is NOT nothing. I would imagine that it could be quite traumatic and for some could be tantamount to a near-death experience. Near-death experiences often change someone's entire life and not always for the better. Sorry GT, but I can't agree with you at all regarding this incident. Your cavalier attitude would suggest that, like me, you've never had a gun pointed at you in anger.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
 :yeah: agreed, absolutely.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 10:26:26 AM »
And, I have a strong suspicion that having a gun pointed at you is NOT nothing. I would imagine that it could be quite traumatic and for some could be tantamount to a near-death experience. Near-death experiences often change someone's entire life and not always for the better. Sorry GT, but I can't agree with you at all regarding this incident. Your cavalier attitude would suggest that, like me, you've never had a gun pointed at you in anger.  :dunno:

And your assumption would be wrong.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
OK, maybe you're a big ole *censored* who's used to having his life threatened by the police. Not me. If it happens for no good reason, I suspect I'll be contributing to the learning of my local police department in a like manner.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
"Just because your dad taught you to bend over and take it when your rights are infringed upon doesn't mean its the right way."

OK, now your baiting, and if there is one thing I've learned about an internet argument, well I've never learned anything from an internet argument.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
Sorry mod, I didn't realize that was a bad word. I should have used "bad-butt".

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 03:30:39 AM »
how about being shot at?
been once by my dad scared the bejeezes out of me.
Good for the guy though punish cops when they step out of line maybe hear less abuse cases about them :yeah:
hope he donates to NRA or Gun owners of America.
Question werent the SS and NAZIS just doing their Jobs when forcing Jews into gas chambers?
How many times in History has that been used? They are/were just doing thier Job? Probably more times than most want to hear or admit. :bash:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I guess I think the $15000 is over the top and the reason for high prices everywhere (lawsuits)  If we sued for every fear we had how would you ever learn to deal naturally with fears. 
This may be way off the situation similarities but take for example I was riding my horse with my daughter's friend and her friend who has only ridden a few times in her life.  I gave her the most reliable horse with the other girl on the second most reliable and me the least.  All horses are well trained and have handled a lot of situations very well.  We were riding in private berry land (not mine) and They were crop dusting with a helo.  Never in my wildest dreams did I expect that copter to land within a bow shot of us and our horses nor the instincts that came over me in this situation.  The horses handled it real well till was very close to the ground then they turned to run.  I saw the inexperienced girl in a slow canter and I decided in that split second that my horse was not following, period! Either I was going down or he was. I one reined him hoping to get him off balance and possibly on the ground but he is sooo athletic he was able to hop sideways with his head bended and I ended up on the ground holding onto the reins, again so he couldn't run, found myself under his belly (he never even stepped on me).  I got up dusted myself off, got back on and rode past the landed copter with the blades still turning (wanted the horses to get by unspooked) and the pilot checking on us to make sure we were fine.  The other two riders stopped their horses 30 feet ahead of me both not experienced riders.  Now if my horse would have run more could have been on the ground.  I'm glad it was me. 
Now the lawsuits that "could have" happened..... I could sue the berry growers for being "scared to death" or the helo owner, or the pilot. I could have been sued by the riders I invited for their scare.   Now how stupid would that be.  I have a beautiful place to ride 5 minutes from my house permissioned by the berry growers.  Since I love riding there I'd never even think of suing them and hope I'd never get sued by the people I take riding (I do a lot) Next time I see a copter I will turn my horse, not try to get a picture and go in the opposite direction (If I'd a known quick enough I would have).  It turned out good and my horses got to experience something new.  You never know what you may encounter on a horse I guess money is not that important tome and I'd feel guilty spending that kind of money and I would not pride myself on what I purchased with that kind of money.  Totally different situation but Lawsuits don't benefit anyone really, except the lawyers willing to talk someone into suing.  It just raises the cost of living for everyone

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
Sorry, but lawsuits do often benefit people. In this case, Law Enforecment state wide will discuss this decision and will work more carefully to assure the legal gun owner is not drawn down on and threatenend. It will help to preserve your rights. With no monetary pain, no attention from LE.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline NWHydroprint

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
Why shouldn't he get 15K if it would of been some one else besides a cop he would have had the right to defend himself with deadly force.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »
Why shouldn't he get 15K if it would of been some one else besides a cop he would have had the right to defend himself with deadly force.
:yeah:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal