collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1 yo lab to thin, help  (Read 6629 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: 1 yo lab to thin, help
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
Another thing you can do is to add cooked eggs to his diet. Just scramble up a bunch each weekend and put a little in his food every night. Just adds a little something to his diet.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:01:16 AM »
I recently made the switch from feeding Pro Plan to feeding Pro Pac. It was really for financial reasons but if you look at Pro Pac it is actually better than the Pro Plan. My dogs so well on it. If you are looking to change this is a good food to try it's around $35 per bag but each bag has a $2 off coupon and you get a free bag after 10 bags.

I also think you should deworm.

Check this out here is your food next to the Pro Pac

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/nutra-nuggets-dog-food/

Compared to

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/pro-pac-dog-food/
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
The reason I keep asking about the nutritional info on the bag....I'm far from a dog expert but I think that a 1 year old Lab should be on something formulated for large breed puppies. I'm curious to know if the food being fed is puppy food. If I remember correcty it would be a higher fat, higher protein base. My Lab died at 13 years old last November and once I got him off the large breed puppy food at age 2 he ate Natural Balance venison formula his whole life and never had any weight issues, never had any eating issues, etc.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WRL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
The reason I keep asking about the nutritional info on the bag....I'm far from a dog expert but I think that a 1 year old Lab should be on something formulated for large breed puppies. I'm curious to know if the food being fed is puppy food. If I remember correcty it would be a higher fat, higher protein base. My Lab died at 13 years old last November and once I got him off the large breed puppy food at age 2 he ate Natural Balance venison formula his whole life and never had any weight issues, never had any eating issues, etc.

Large breed puppy has LESS protein and LESS fat than regular puppy.

At one year of age, I would not put him on or leave him on a Large Breed Puppy formula but then again, I don't feed it at all. Only time I had issues with a pup was when he was on large breed food.

If the dog is too thin, he needs more calories so realistically needs to be on a performance blend or a REGULAR puppy formula.

WRL

Offline WRL

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-products/

This compares Reg Puppy with a Large Breed Puppy.

Protein levels are the same but the fat levels are significantly different.

Reg puppy also has about 60 kcals per cup more.

WRL

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »

Large breed puppy has LESS protein and LESS fat than regular puppy.

At one year of age, I would not put him on or leave him on a Large Breed Puppy formula but then again, I don't feed it at all. Only time I had issues with a pup was when he was on large breed food.

If the dog is too thin, he needs more calories so realistically needs to be on a performance blend or a REGULAR puppy formula.

WRL

Thanks for straightening me out. It's been 11-12 years since I paid any attention to puppy food.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline TheBlues76

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »
I know this is really redneck but I've heard that Copenhagen gets rid of worms too?

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
So I worked with a little of everything except the chew. Dewormed, cottage cheese once a day for 6 weeks or so and changed his food from nutra nuggets 360 kcals to kirkland super premium chicken with 393 kcals and he looks like a million bucks. Thanks everyone.

Offline WRL

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
Very good!!

WRL

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 06:03:19 AM »
I would continue to de worm him and give him some raw meat with plenty of fat . animals naturally add fat for the winter if he is active it wont be an issue . i'd keep him on puppy food intill he's two . also we found that carrots are great and good for there teeth.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
I would continue to de worm him and give him some raw meat with plenty of fat . animals naturally add fat for the winter if he is active it wont be an issue . i'd keep him on puppy food intill he's two . also we found that carrots are great and good for there teeth.
:yeah:especially keep him on the puppy food, good advise!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Cougar125

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
He put weight back on, that's good.  Did you look at his turds to see if there were any worms in it? 

I feed Diamond Extreme Athlete to my GSPs and they look like a million bucks.  Have never had any issues with it, I just cut back the amount they get in the off season.  http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/extreme_athlete/  During hunting season, when I'm doing a lot of upland birds, I will also mix up a "puppy primer" to help counter the fatigue and anything else my dogs might experience.

Puppy Primer gets mixed in with the regular food but consists of 2 tablespoons of uncultured yogurt, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 1 raw egg, and raw beef liver.  The yogurt helps their GI tract by reflorinating the microbiota and helps ensure their guts continue to be healthy (this can be helpful when administering anti-biotics as well).  The garlic helps the immune system and is an anti-parasitic.  The AVMA says garlic will make dogs anemic, but I have had no issues and have read several varying articles on the issue.  It is nearly a 50/50 split on those that say to do so and those that say don't.  The raw egg and beef liver the dogs like, but also give an extra boost of calories and other minerals to their diet.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »
pizza and beer
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
I know this is really redneck but I've heard that Copenhagen gets rid of worms too?

Caffeine and Nicotine both drive away  worms.  My bother went to the doctor after he saw his own poop in the woods  with worms. The doctor said that because he drank a couple of cups of coffee and chewed Copenhagen the worms were on an exit strategy....

If third world countries they will give coffee grounds or tobacco leaves to chew on to expell worms and other parasites.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter