collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone calling bears?  (Read 8421 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Anyone calling bears?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Will a rabbit in distress call work? That's all i have and I want to at least try while Im out there hunting.
yes

Offline Rooster1981

• R.K.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Roosters Kennel
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:03 PM »
I'm heading back to the coast monday or tuesday. Will be doing some setup up's on video so people can see how i call. I will be mixing Deer distress with my Raspy distress. I use a closed reed alot.With my Foxpro i will be using snow shoe hare alot this time. Good luck every one. Rick

That's cool, I will definitely look into your video  :tup:
Hunting hounds since 1993

Offline Greenhorn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »
I have an old Lohman cd caller for coyotes, but it has a fawn in distress call on it.  Tried it out cold calling for bear for the first time today for an hour and got nothing.  Sure was odd having the thunder rolling over head and listening to that thing blaring, waiting for a predator to come flying in any minute.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
I have an old Lohman cd caller for coyotes, but it has a fawn in distress call on it.  Tried it out cold calling for bear for the first time today for an hour and got nothing.  Sure was odd having the thunder rolling over head and listening to that thing blaring, waiting for a predator to come flying in any minute.
Sounds like one hell of an experience.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline coyotecrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:24 PM »
Does anyone change up the calling sounds during the setup or do you stick with the same sound for the entire time?

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 12:53:02 AM »
Does anyone change up the calling sounds during the setup or do you stick with the same sound for the entire time?

Depends on what call you are using.  You are trying to tell a story with every call sequence you do.  Sometimes it's a lost calf searching for it's mother and finding trouble.  Other times it's a rabbit trying to survive the ravages of a small predator.  Oftentimes, as in coyote calling, this can be the Reader's Digest condensed version of the story.  For bobcats the story reads in full publication and lasts a bit longer.  When bear hunting think all four volumes of "War and Peace". The two part epilogue...probably not necessary  :chuckle:  Basically you want to gradually build up to complete anguish and desperation then finish with exhaustion and death.  It's not a pleasant story you are telling so be sure to get emotional through the call.

There are generally just two characters in a calling story.  The victim and the small predator.  So I never like to change calls.  If you start with a rodent and finish with a calf in distress the story makes no sense.  So if I start with a rabbit I want to finish with that same rabbit.  Start with the calf I finish with that same calf.  However, if I am working the sequence with a calf or fawn call I want to start out simply lost in the woods then progress to a confrontation, a long exhausting fight and then the slow agonizing death.  If rabbit or rodent I start from the confrontation and then progress on the same story line from there.

Knowing the sounds and noises is only the beginning to becoming a successful caller.  All that does is give you the character voices.  The way you bringing those characters to life is the difference between an average caller and a great successful caller.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
What do you guys think about making squacks and squeals on a cow elk call?  You can make rabbit sounding noises on those.
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]