collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 176 sheep killed by Pine Cr wolf pack  (Read 9257 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
176 sheep killed by Pine Cr wolf pack
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »
http://valleycitizen.com/stories_news_detail.php?pkStories=741

Pine Creek wolf pack to blame

Idaho Fish and Game and the US Wildlife Services have confirmed 176 lambs from the Siddoway Ranch Company were killed this weekend by the Pine Creek wolf pack.

The Siddoway Sheep Company said in a news release Monday morning that a pack of wolves attacked a herd of sheep around 1 a.m. on Saturday killing 119 lambs and 57 ewes. This was not the first attack for the Siddoway Ranch this year and Regional Wildlife Supervisor for the Idaho Fish and Game, Daryl Meints said this pack has been active for several years.

In the news release, the sheep were grazing between Pole Canyon and the central Palisades Mountain Range approximately six miles south of Victor. In the dark, the herders watching the sheep could not count the number of wolves mounting the attack. Some sheep were bitten, while others suffocated, as the wolves forced them into a pile. This scenario was confirmed by Idaho Wildlife Services State Director Todd Grimes who added that the sheep were running down hill at the time of the attack.

As the sun rose, the herders were able to inspect the kill. The wolves ate the hindquarters of just one lamb.

A phone call to JC Siddoway who manages the ranch was not immediately returned Monday morning. Please look to www.valley citizen.com for updates this week.

The news release further read that the Siddoway Sheep Company has lost about 250 head of livestock to wolf, bear and coyote depredation since June.

The losses are not limited to sheep. Just last week, wolves killed a pair of Great Pyrenees guard dogs. A horse fell victim in July when a pair of wolves met a pack string on a trail near Indian Creek and spooked the young horse, which ran down the steep grade and fell from a cliff.

Meints identified and named the Pine Creek pack four years ago. It is unknown how large a wolf pack this is as none of the animals are collared.

Siddoway Sheep Company is a fifth generation family owned ranch that has been operating in the Teton, Palisades and Big Hole mountain ranges since 1886. The business infuses over 1.6 million dollars into the local economy each year. Siddoway Sheep Company’s president is Jeff Siddoway, an Idaho state senator from Terreton. The ranch is managed by his son, J.C. Siddoway of Newdale.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: 176 sheep killed by Pine Cr wolf pack
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 06:18:52 PM »
:bash: :bash: makes me sick

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »
If that was the WDFW they would probably come out and say that it was something else that did this like they did with cattle in the NE corner of the state.

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 06:38:29 PM »
 :yeah:

"The sheep are herded and monitored by two full-time herders, four herding dogs and at least four guard dogs.”

Now why is it going to be the ranchers fault??? I know they did not have flagging around the sheep THAT would have stopped the wolves!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:59:34 PM by mkcj »

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Gee, I can't understand why wolves were eliminated years ago.  Kill hundreds of sheep and only eat part of one.

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »
 :yike: That is a huge blow to there sheep ranch.
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
how come they didn't go out there with some lights and blast the wolves?

In the dark, the herders watching the sheep could not count the number of wolves mounting the attack. Some sheep were bitten, while others suffocated, as the wolves forced them into a pile.

I couldn't do that, watch my sheep get destroyed like that. 

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »

In the dark, the herders watching the sheep could not count the number of wolves mounting the attack. Some sheep were bitten, while others suffocated, as the wolves forced them into a pile.

What makes you think they weren't trying to make a point? It's not exactly illegal to shoot them there.

Allowing 176 animals to be killed is good propoganda if you're a hardcore anti wolfer.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »
The sheep herders need night vision and mini guns. 
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

What makes you think they weren't trying to make a point? It's not exactly illegal to shoot them there.

Allowing 176 animals to be killed is good propoganda if you're a hardcore anti wolfer.

If your cold enough to allow that kind of horror to go on just to make a point, then I don't want to know you.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »

If your cold enough to allow that kind of horror to go on just to make a point, then I don't want to know you.

I concur. But these days I think anything is possible. It's not a big leap. Take the loss, write it off, collect the insurance, get it in the news, agenda forwarded. If nothing else is true it's that people either hate or love wolves and both sides will go to extremes in some cases.

Of course I am purely speculating. No doubt I am wrong...

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »

Maybe aspenbud they should get some stickers from the city of Seattle saying no wolves allowed, and put them on all the sheep since it works for guns in Seattle businesses right.

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
I recall something like thus happening about 2 or 3 years ago. Only mire sheep killed.
this isn't the first time and not the last.  Look st articles in Europe and Russia, you'll probably see that it happens there alot more often
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline Dave B

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »
Its ok, the wolves were doing the rancher a favor.  All of those sheep were either sick or old,  because we know for a fact they dont kill young healthy animals.  :bash:  :bash:  :bash:

Offline Northway

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
Sheep are the one of the dumbest animals on four legs. You can practically fence sheep by stringing fishing line and attaching it to twigs a few inches off the ground. To take sheep and stick them on a public lands grazing allotment full of predators and not expect them to get whacked from time to time would be ridiculous.

It's a testament to how dumb the animals are that so many would be suffocated in one event.
Which side are you on if neither will claim you?

Offline mulehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
I bet everyone doesn't know how many wolves  could kill any animals everyday in forest BUT BY count 176 on ground over ONE weekend that is easy to count than what is out there in forest!!! I cant image what happen to all population Elk/deer/cubs, kittens,/whatever out there would be like in few years later.    :bash:  we should have wipe out whole North American Wolves Packs!

:mgun2: 

Offline thatdamguy

• Hunter
  • I live for the great outdoors
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
I am going to present this article to the next jackA$$ who tells me the wolves belong in our state!    :bash:

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
Sheep are the one of the dumbest animals on four legs. You can practically fence sheep by stringing fishing line and attaching it to twigs a few inches off the ground. To take sheep and stick them on a public lands grazing allotment full of predators and not expect them to get whacked from time to time would be ridiculous.

It's a testament to how dumb the animals are that so many would be suffocated in one event.

losing a couple or even several sheep from time to time is one thing, and is expected.
losing 176 in one weekend is not a testament to how dumb the sheep are but a testament to how vicious the wolves are.  and its a big testament to the fact that wolves don't eat everything they kill
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:30 AM »
Has anyone here joined a wolf lover forum and posted the article?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline thatdamguy

• Hunter
  • I live for the great outdoors
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »
Has anyone here joined a wolf lover forum and posted the article?

:yeah:

Good Idea, Ill post this to the next WDFW Facebook wolf post. :tup:

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »

hahaha!  True.  Sheep are HARD on tha landscape too... In any case- it's not a good thing when wolves roll in a wipe out a whole flock!

Offline Northway

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

losing a couple or even several sheep from time to time is one thing, and is expected.
losing 176 in one weekend is not a testament to how dumb the sheep are but a testament to how vicious the wolves are.  and its a big testament to the fact that wolves don't eat everything they kill

From my understanding a vast majority of these sheep died of suffocation?

At least with cows, a wolf can rip up one cow without the rest of the herd suffocating itself.
Which side are you on if neither will claim you?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »
We have ben repeatedly told that wolves fear people and we have nothing to fear.
We are told that if we utilize hazing devises such as Herders and guard dogs it will keep livestock safe.

We know that herders were utilized in this case and it did not help.
Sheep are not that bright and that is one of the reasons why wolves were exterminated from england and thier numbers greatly reduced here in the USA...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »

At least with cows, a wolf can rip up one cow without the rest of the herd suffocating itself.

my bad,.. this here is a testament of how good I read the article  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

They wouldnt have if the wolves were not attacking the herd :twocents: 
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Sounds like a "pile up".  Massive panic and a mess to sort out.  I've seen it with cattle and it's ugly.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal