collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Price?  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Natures Way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, RMEF, DUCKS UNLIMITED, UTA, ITA, OTA
Re: Price?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
lets see some close-UPS of the face can't tell anything from ten feet back.it looks ok from there, as we all know even if peoples stuff looks like crap people still like it! So the cost of deer is based on time, material, overhead quality and experience, not all taxidermist quality is on same level. The base is nice, but basic. it is altogether better than a bunch of the stuff on here. There are a few other things that go along with pricing as well.so some of the other things you will factor in also is the cost of becoming a sponsor on here to display your work because even though your asking for opinions you are clearly advertising for work. A business license, A taxidermy license and who ever said you didn't, don't have a clue what they are talking about. good job on the deer and if you would truly like to chat to figure out what all else goes into a shops pricing give me a call we can help you out and you can factor all that in!  Also by the way you will never get rich off of taxidermy! just sayin. Good luck

Offline daydreamn

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 10:26:55 PM »
lets see some close-UPS of the face can't tell anything from ten feet back.it looks ok from there, as we all know even if peoples stuff looks like crap people still like it! So the cost of deer is based on time, material, overhead quality and experience, not all taxidermist quality is on same level. The base is nice, but basic. it is altogether better than a bunch of the stuff on here. There are a few other things that go along with pricing as well.so some of the other things you will factor in also is the cost of becoming a sponsor on here to display your work because even though your asking for opinions you are clearly advertising for work. A business license, A taxidermy license and who ever said you didn't, don't have a clue what they are talking about. good job on the deer and if you would truly like to chat to figure out what all else goes into a shops pricing give me a call we can help you out and you can factor all that in!  Also by the way you will never get rich off of taxidermy! just sayin. Good luck
2538753600  Sorry, no close ups, its gone home.  No, not every state requires a taxidermy license like Wa. does and no im not looking for any business. Like I said I only do a little taxidermy usually only about two or three mounts a year, and that's because I enjoy doing it. One thing I have learned about taxidermy and pricing is that if you do quality work than you can pretty much name your price that doesn't mean its right to gouge someone just because you might have a few ribbons hanging on the wall.  I probably average about forty hours in putting a mount together.  My time is too valuable to give it away, just looking for some honest opinions on what someone would expect to pay for a quality mount such as this.  Thanks Michael, I respect your input. Only have to look at your work to appreciate good taxidermy, keep it up!

Offline solomtnhunter

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »
 :drool: :tup:
Traditional Bow Hunter/Target & 3D/NRA Life Member/WAC Member

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
What did you charge for it?
If you aren't a licensed taxi I suggest not answering that on a public forum.
LOL! No taxidermy license required where I live however the county still wants a piece of the pie.
:tup:
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 11:12:22 PM »
Sorry didn't look up where you are just assumed since you where on a Washington forum that that's where you are. one thing that people should think of when they are talking about" gouging " because someone is good at what there doing so they can charge whatever they want is that they can. They have earned it. One thing I find funny is everyone at there jobs wants to get paid as much as they can but when it comes to a small business owner its refereed  to as gouging or he/she charges to much. Because that person realizes what its worth?  Lets be honest its not because someone is to expensive its because others are to cheap and don't see the value.
Nobody is holding a gun to peoples head to make them bring you things! if you want a Lamborghini your not going to get it shopping at  Kia dealerships or at a Kia price! just like taxidermy and taxidermist they are not all on the same level but there is always something for everyone!

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »
Sorry didn't look up where you are just assumed since you where on a Washington forum that that's where you are. one thing that people should think of when they are talking about" gouging " because someone is good at what there doing so they can charge whatever they want is that they can. They have earned it. One thing I find funny is everyone at there jobs wants to get paid as much as they can but when it comes to a small business owner its refereed  to as gouging or he/she charges to much. Because that person realizes what its worth?  Lets be honest its not because someone is to expensive its because others are to cheap and don't see the value.
Nobody is holding a gun to peoples head to make them bring you things! if you want a Lamborghini your not going to get it shopping at  Kia dealerships or at a Kia price! just like taxidermy and taxidermist they are not all on the same level but there is always something for everyone!
I agree with you.  But I have noticed that many taxidermists have stopped including prices on their websites.  Why make someone call to find out how much you charge?  Worried about losing business if your price is higher than average or? :dunno:

Offline Natures Way

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
well we like to deal customers on a more personal level! if people are only concerned with what it costs we don't want them as a customer! We are doing 400-450 pieces a year, so no not worried about loosing work because my prices aren't on my site seems to have no affect on my work load. It also takes a lot of time to keep up with all of that on a site. We do have printed price list That we mail to people that are interested in what we do, not just price shopping. We have higher than average prices because we do way higher than average work! That was a great question! Thank you hope this helps

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
Mikes  work can only really be appreciated seeing it in person.
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
We have higher than average prices because we do way higher than average work!
I know and I know.  You are working on a friends first buck right now, a very nice blacktail that I can't wait to see in person!

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »
That's a beautiful mount. For reference, I got this one done, with everything you see in the mount, and lighting underneath the ped. For $1400.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
well we like to deal customers on a more personal level! if people are only concerned with what it costs we don't want them as a customer! We are doing 400-450 pieces a year, so no not worried about loosing work because my prices aren't on my site seems to have no affect on my work load. It also takes a lot of time to keep up with all of that on a site. We do have printed price list That we mail to people that are interested in what we do, not just price shopping. We have higher than average prices because we do way higher than average work! That was a great question! Thank you hope this helps

You hit the nail on the head with the personal connection. I've only worked with two taxidermists and both did great work as well as spent a lot of time walking me through what to do in certain situations to take care of the animal and get what I want from it. To me great work and shared knowledge means a lot and adds value.

Offline HereDuckyDucky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read this...considering the fact that I was more than willing to pay whatever your price was but when I asked for a reference picture (or even the name of someone who had prior mount) you told me you "just didn't want to deal with it."

That doesn't sound to me like someone who wants to deal with people on a "personal level."

RW

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
Wow! That looks like really nice work!!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]