collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lewis river unit problems  (Read 3215 times)

Offline bigbluff21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
lewis river unit problems
« on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
Don't bother going up the 8600 merrill lake area. The place has turned into a city and the oregonian hikers have taken over. If you get up around the goat marsh you're gonna think you are in portland. I started off my hunt in the area I had been scouting for about a month watching three different bulls in an place I thought nobody would ever think to ever try. So I get into the woods and I'm above my timber I want to setup in and around the corner a car comes up and parks right next to me. A little bit shocked that somebody was there, I stand and wait for them to come ask me something or give me a good morning but nothing. As I watch them grab their gear and lock up their car, they walk 5 yards up the road from me and straight into my timber I was gonna hunt :bash: :bash: pretty dissapointed in that and mad I didn't say something I decided to just walk to some other timber. On my way I heard about 5 other cars driving the roads and more and more I realized my spot wasnt as seacretive as I thought :dunno: All around dissapointed with my first hunt of the season and I don't know when I'm gonna get back out there. The west side struggle is real :'( congrats to all you that are filling your freezers though. I'm seein some nice bulls on here! Good luck!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
Re: lewis river unit problems
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
That sucks. Maybe they will push the elk to where you can't drive a vehicle to and you can hike to them with nobody around? Good luck!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Jayfire83

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Strap those boots on and dive in deeper!!  Just go until you can't smell the patchouli oil anymore!  :chuckle:

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Don't bother going up the 8600 merrill lake area. The place has turned into a city and the oregonian hikers have taken over. If you get up around the goat marsh you're gonna think you are in portland. I started off my hunt in the area I had been scouting for about a month watching three different bulls in an place I thought nobody would ever think to ever try. So I get into the woods and I'm above my timber I want to setup in and around the corner a car comes up and parks right next to me. A little bit shocked that somebody was there, I stand and wait for them to come ask me something or give me a good morning but nothing. As I watch them grab their gear and lock up their car, they walk 5 yards up the road from me and straight into my timber I was gonna hunt :bash: :bash: pretty dissapointed in that and mad I didn't say something I decided to just walk to some other timber. On my way I heard about 5 other cars driving the roads and more and more I realized my spot wasnt as seacretive as I thought :dunno: All around dissapointed with my first hunt of the season and I don't know when I'm gonna get back out there. The west side struggle is real :'( congrats to all you that are filling your freezers though. I'm seein some nice bulls on here! Good luck!

i heard from a buddy that someone he knew told him the elk were thick in the area and were hard to get out of opening day around there and that he bagged a cow. How reliable that source is im not sure. But sorry to hear your plans got busted must be all this sun were getting. I was just across the lake from ya and it was pretty quiet though we did manage to find a few but couldnt seal the deal before having to come back to town for work. good luck!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »

When I first moved into this area I did the same thing in the same area.  Scouted all summer and up to the beginning of archery season there.  The whole time very few people, was not the most convenient place to get to and there were good numbers of deer, elk and bear in there.  Then the night before early archery happened :yike:  The quiet secluded place turned into spring break in Fort Lauderdale with camo instead of bikini's.

I figured, how many of these guys are actually going to get out of their trucks and hunt?  I've hunted crowded spots before and as long as you got out of the truck all was good.  And with the amount of alcohol consumption the night before opening day I figured most wouldn't even get out of bed in the A.M.  Boy was I wrong!  Seemed the deeper into the bush I got the more hunters I ran into.  And when I would toot on a bugle they came running like I was the Pied Piper of Camo Clan.  To this day I have never experienced anything quite like it.  Maybe NF-93 in the same unit comes close.

By 10:A.M. the second day I was out of there.  While driving out the 8600 it was like camo was boiling up from the edges of the road.  I've never gone back!  Not even to take a picture or two.  Now that the hikers, shroomers and rock hounds have moved in I expect it's even worse now.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline wa_archer

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, DU, Wen. Sportsmans Assoc.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:41 AM »
I have hunted lewis a lot and always saw this as an issue.  Mid week hunting helps a lot unfortunately not everyone can get the time from work to do that.  Getting off main roads and into side areas helps.  I have found that is usually the same areas the elk are hiding from same such traffic.  sometimes amazing elk in some areas are somewhat used to the traffic because so much all summer long.  just try and get away from trails or berry picking spots.
In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. FDR

Some go to church and dream of hunting others go to the woods and think of God

Offline acorn

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »
I grew up hunting that unit, if you think it's crowded try Manashtash. At least triple the number of people and camps plus less roadless areas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal