collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rattlers out and about  (Read 18391 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Rattlers out and about
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:35 AM »
I've wanted to photo them in the fall, just always chasing other critters.  I run into them when I am chasing sheep.  Most of the time they slither off.  Every once in awhile I get a pissy one and as Kopperbuck said, if its in the yard it dies.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »
Personally, I hate mice more than I do snakes.  I have killed the hell out of them at times, but for the most part I just play with them now.

Offline furiouzgeorge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
I grew up with rattle-snakes in the Southern California foot hills. I hate 'em but you learn to live with them. I suppose it's a whole other story when you have a bird dog you might lose to it. Of course our domestic dogs never got bit as far as I could tell.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. " ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »
Personally, I hate mice more than I do snakes.  I have killed the hell out of them at times, but for the most part I just play with them now.

Mice are little terrors  :yeah: reminds me of an argument with a co-worker after I killed a rattlesnake.

"Leave them alone, they kill mice."  He said.

"So do coyotes, hawks, badgers, foxes, bobcats, housecats and poison."   :dunno: If I'm out in the boonies, I'll leave a snake alone but if it's anywhere near any houses...
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
I don't think they are as poisonous as people think they are. They are not Cottonmouths or Diamond Backs. I looked into it and I guess that no one has ever died from a rattlesnake bite in Washington.... Or it has never been reported.
Years ago a vet told me that he treated a dog that got bit by one, and he got sick, but it didn't die.
I guess they make a anti-venom for dogs, but it's like $1000 or something stupid
I've ran into them (and killed them) in Yakima before

Offline hunter12

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
The shot for dogs is reasonable. Only 35.00 from my vet.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 01:39:01 PM »
I don't think they are as poisonous as people think they are. They are not Cottonmouths or Diamond Backs. I looked into it and I guess that no one has ever died from a rattlesnake bite in Washington.... Or it has never been reported.
Years ago a vet told me that he treated a dog that got bit by one, and he got sick, but it didn't die.
I guess they make a anti-venom for dogs, but it's like $1000 or something stupid

Not true.  Not sure where you looked.   Is that sort of like wolf attacks?   Most of the time they don't zap you with venom when they nail you.   If they do its nasty.  last fatality we had here recently died from DIC from the bite. Mountian biking if I remember right.   Maybe that's what they classify as cause of death.  There was also another guy killed in Vantage.  Bit in the neck while climbing up a steep hill.  I think he was looking for rocks if I remember right.  That's just this local area in fairly recent times.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »

Not true.  Not sure where you looked.   Is that sort of like wolf attacks?   Most of the time they don't zap you with venom when they nail you.   If they do its nasty.  last fatality we had here recently died from DIC from the bite. Mountian biking if I remember right.   Maybe that's what they classify as cause of death.  There was also another guy killed in Vantage.  Bit in the neck while climbing up a steep hill.  I think he was looking for rocks if I remember right.  That's just this local area in fairly recent times.

:yeah:

They had a gal down in Oregon bit by a Northern Pacific, she was featured on some show about snake bites on Animal Planet or whatever a few years ago. They showed pictures of her leg post bite and it was black and blue from her waste down to her ankle.

My wife has also seen a dog that eventually had to have a leg amputated thanks to one down there.

The only rattlesnake that I think is not so worrisome is the Massassauga and they don't occur here, they are small, and their fangs are the shortest of the bunch. But people still have to go to the hospital, sometimes even be airlifted, when bit by one.

Rattlesnake vaccine is literally cheap insurance for a dog. Just too bad it doesn't prevent the tissue damage, only the allergic reaction.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »

:yeah:  the woman who leased to a farmer I worked for in high school died of a snake bite and so did one of my dad's friends.   :dunno:  this was all in between 2004 and 2007, in one county.

I think Machias had a poor hound die from just a little bite.  They're nasty b@$t@rds and it doesn't take much to kill.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
They aren't poisonous, you can eat them.
However, they are venomous and just as dangerous as any other pit viper.
They have the most advanced venom delivery system on the planet.
Just leave them alone, they aren't after you, you are in their home.
They are an amazing animal, just give them some space.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

"I have two lines you should never cross...Horizontal and Vertical"

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Good to know as we will be in the area next Saturday or Sunday.

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
I spent two days in the hospital over my ordeal. I got lucky, it only got me with one fang - thankfully since it was a younger one.

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
I stand corrected I guess.... sorry for not being a biologist... After seeing a ton of them one year chukar hunting I was trying to look up info on them and I swore I read they were not as "venomous" as they apparently are

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
The shot for dogs is reasonable. Only 35.00 from my vet.

Yup, same here.  Seems like cheap insurance if your dog will be around snakes.  Now why they don't have a version for people for $35 I have no idea  :dunno:

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:29 PM »
I stand corrected I guess.... sorry for not being a biologist... After seeing a ton of them one year chukar hunting I was trying to look up info on them and I swore I read they were not as "venomous" as they apparently are

Compared to a Mohave rattler or a western or eastern diamondback they aren't as bad. But don't let that lull you into thinking they aren't dangerous.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal