collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: True Blue Road-Hunters!  (Read 16036 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: True Blue Road-Hunters!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
Who knows how many guys drove by this buck.  I spotted his antlers sticking up while driving down the road during hunting season.   I stopped and got out and snapped a couple pics and he stood up.  Pretty sure I could have made this shot.   I found him the next year, so know he made it.

Any of you great hunters ever walk about 100 yards above a road and note how many deer beds you find. :chuckle:

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
I don't road hunt on purpose but if i see one in an area that i can hunt then it's dead. I have used the roads to spot animals for spot and stalk. Some people just cant hit the hills anymore but still want to hunt. I don't worry about it to much I'm so far from the road most of the time that it makes no difference to me anyway.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
  • “Heads” I win, “Tails” you lose!
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
I have a place on the wet side that the Blackies and the Elk love to call home. I have yet to hunt it and I know others try but they fail. I am thinking that if I do not get a whitetail this year with my son and GF, I will try.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »
Me too Cory.   Spotted a buck last year while driving to the hunting spot.  Got out, walked up to it and shot it like a cow in a pasture with the longbow.  About as dang boring as it gets.  In contrast to what I did this year.  Backpacked crosscountry for 9 hours to basecamp, then a couple hours further, then spotted and stalked and killed him in his perch above the world.  One was certainly more thrilling.   Both legally notched tags.  One was certainly EASIER :chuckle:   Bucks....about the same size.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Which one tastes better? A buck deep in the woods, or a buck next to the road? :dunno:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
Which one tastes better? A buck deep in the woods, or a buck next to the road? :dunno:

Wait!  :yike:  I know this one...

:chuckle: truth be told I enjoy hiking and backpacking and stalking but I won't pass up on a legal buck that's near the road.  I believe in taking what I'm provided.  Not to say I want to blast a spike on opening day but it usually works out and I'm satisfied.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »
Humm so since we are getting off topic a bit, what constitutes a road?
1) Blacktop, paved?
2) Chipsealed?
3) Maintained gravel (bladed etc)?
4) Dirt, some potholes etc?
5) Dirt, washouts, potholes, rocks but still 2wd?
6) 2 track well traveled but some sketchy parts that may require 4x4 at times and surely to get a few pinetree pinstripes?
7) Jeep trail, 4x4 only, small vehicle only?
8) Quad trail that only quads and some idiot in a suzuki sidekick that forgets to put it into 4low goes?
So when are we not road hunting using the above choices?
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
8) Quad trail that only quads and some idiot in a suzuki sidekick that forgets to put it into 4low goes?

Yeah but we made it!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
My dad shot this buck after spotting him driving out last season. He had hunted all week away from the roads and as luck would have it, came across this guy. He is proud of him and I would be too
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Would have had to pass on that one....the little crab claw makes it not uniform enough......

Hell of a deer....I'd shoot that from the back of a pick up with a beer in my hand and a pile of apples in the ditch in a heartbeat.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Would have had to pass on that one....the little crab claw makes it not uniform enough......

Hell of a deer....I'd shoot that from the back of a pick up with a beer in my hand and a pile of apples in the ditch in a heartbeat.

I told my dad his G4 on his right side was a little weak and he should have passed on him. Slacker
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
I remember my Dad and I hunting all day miles from the rig and just before shooting light expired we were almost back to the rig.... Could see it 100 yards away and wth is that... Standing there feeding 5 yards from our Cruiser??? a big bodied 2x3.... Dad laced it and it flopped right in the middle of the road... Great pack out.... The very next day we awoke late (probably whipped from the pack out) on the second to last day planning on packing out miles again... Daylight broke before we were even close to being there... Looked up ridge... Tell Dad to stop.... Boom... Dead 3 point with a 100 yard drag... Were we road hunting???    :dunno:   Either way we didn't really care.... I love to get out and get away from the masses and all the vehicles... But in all honesty I'm surprised by how many and much deer sign including tons of beds I've found usually just above roads and sometimes even in sight of them...

My buddy shot his biggest deer on a regular season hunt that dumped 3 feet of snow in two days... Most guys pulled out long before... We were blowing through drifts when I saw antlers move on a little bench almost sky lined... When we got out the buck stood and he dropped a 184" muley less then 200 yards from the road.... I don't remember what our plan was for the day other than not to get stuck.... So I guess we were road hunting then to...

Offline furiouzgeorge

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
Looks like I started something. The spot I was planning to hunt was almost within sight of the road. No argument from me about the fact that deer are everywhere...nine miles in, and near the road. This was a paved highway with traffic...these guys were older but obviously spry enough to jump out of their rig (while still parked in the highway) and JOG off into the tree-line to find the deer, all the while stomping, yelling, and blocking one lane of the HWY...(how wide is a pickup with all doors open?) Like I tried to say earlier...the title of this thread is probably not the most well chosen. My offense was taken with the fact that they blocked the road...drove from game trail to game trail, yelled to each other as they jogged through the under-brush. They did not see deer and exit their vehicles, they saw trails and lept from the truck as if they had seen a shooter!!! Road or no road...I was shocked...not angry about the car...just the state of the car when they left it, and their mannerism in the woods.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. " ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 12:47:35 AM »
One of the guys in our old deer camp in Republic woke up hung over and decided to stay in camp a while.  Later in the afternoon he loaded up his cooler full of beer on the back of his quad and road hunted from Refrigerator Canyon on up to Mt. Washington.  He was almost to the Snow Peak trailhead when he had to take a leak.  All of a sudden this 27" 4x4 mulie comes running downhill dead at him.  He said that he had to drop his junk in mid stream, grab his rifle off of the quad and shoot.  One shot from a half drunk dude and it fell within 30 feet of the road.  He came into camp with that bad boy strapped to the quad and singing like there was no tomorrow.   :chuckle:

Offline Buckmark

• Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
Looks like I started something. The spot I was planning to hunt was almost within sight of the road. No argument from me about the fact that deer are everywhere...nine miles in, and near the road. This was a paved highway with traffic...these guys were older but obviously spry enough to jump out of their rig (while still parked in the highway) and JOG off into the tree-line to find the deer, all the while stomping, yelling, and blocking one lane of the HWY...(how wide is a pickup with all doors open?) Like I tried to say earlier...the title of this thread is probably not the most well chosen. My offense was taken with the fact that they blocked the road...drove from game trail to game trail, yelled to each other as they jogged through the under-brush. They did not see deer and exit their vehicles, they saw trails and lept from the truck as if they had seen a shooter!!! Road or no road...I was shocked...not angry about the car...just the state of the car when they left it, and their mannerism in the woods.
I would of walked up to the truck, locked the doors and closed them all.. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal