collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: gmu 371 alkali  (Read 2940 times)

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
gmu 371 alkali
« on: October 28, 2008, 01:53:59 AM »
Has any of you guys ever been drawn for the muzzeloader tag there? if you have how was the hunting there? is there alot of elk and is there some big bulls? thanks for any info guys!
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline buck470

• Hunter
Re: gmu 371 alkali
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
Not Real familiar, but thats the Yakima Training facility, heard rumor they shut allot of it down this year. Allot of training going on.

I would check with the M.P. station, and get your info first hand.
You would be wise to pre register also. And I've heard rumor of some monster Elk out there, big bucks also.

Offline fc2038

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »
I heard the same thing they are doing some live fire stuff. I might be wrong but I beleive bowhunter is right

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »
the deer tags were cancelled i thought because of all the military training going on.
not sure about the elk tags.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline MLCoug

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »
I had this tag last year.  IT WAS A HORRIBLE TAG FOR ELK....and I'm pissed I wasted my points on it.  There were only 2 bulls killed all year.  One very small 5 point and a nice bull that was shot on the bordering private property.  Because of that, the MP's shut down all the good units and no more elk were killed.  (Yes, the caught the guy that poached the big bull.)

This is a good unit for big bucks though as I seen several.  But hardly any signs of elk and the Advanced Hunters get to hunt in there for cows way before the opener of muzzleloader.  I believe they took like 5-6 cows prior to the muzzleloader tags.

I spoke with the local biologist before and during my hunt and he told me that this unit about 7-10 years ago was primo for muzzleloader but now most of the big bulls stay on the private property and when they do wander across the training center it's usually in the later time of year when the rifle tags are in full  swing.   

I don't recommend anyone putting in for this unit unless it's for a buck...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal