collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ducks on the pond  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Green Horn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Ducks on the pond
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
My first duck call was a call made my the boys at Duck Commander. It was this company that kept me intrigued to continue duck hunting. I would watch youtube videos all night learning tips from these guys. One aspect I questioned when I got in to waterfowling 4 years ago was how ethical it was to shoot ducks on the pond. In a few of the Duck Commander videos I've seen them blast ducks that didn't have the slightest. What do y'all think? Is it a  :bdid: to shoot these ducks or are you one of the guys who chomps-at-the-bit for an easy kill  :drool: ? What's the difference between shooting a deer who's just hanging out and shooting a duck who just swimming circles? I ask myself this question every season.

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
Re: Ducks on the pond
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:02:56 AM »
I prefer to knock them down because they usually land on the shore. And I hate swimming this time of year too. It's kind of cold now.  :chuckle:
times before with just leather, wool and cotton.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
Shoot them out of the air. Either directly overhead or hovering over the decoys. Its hard to get a clean kill on a duck that is on the water. Seems odd but most of your pellets hit all around the duck plus they are tougher on their back and wings then having their breast/vitals exposed. I've wasted alot of shells try to kill a wounded duck that was swimming away. Flushing out of the decoys and flying away from you is also a low percentage, crippling shot. Get'em close, shoot'em in the air. :twocents:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline sumbeech66

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
Shoot them out of the air. Either directly overhead or hovering over the decoys. Its hard to get a clean kill on a duck that is on the water. Seems odd but most of your pellets hit all around the duck plus they are tougher on their back and wings then having their breast/vitals exposed. I've wasted alot of shells try to kill a wounded duck that was swimming away. Flushing out of the decoys and flying away from you is also a low percentage, crippling shot. Get'em close, shoot'em in the air. :twocents:

Just like to point out that I thought this was a great answer!!! No ETHICAL/UNETHICAL bs, just a straight to the point and from past experience answer.   :tup:   :tup:

You're never lost if ya don't care where ya are!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
Just kill them how you want. I have killed enough that I like the challenge of wing shooting. If they land i scare them up and shoot them. End result the duck is dead. Who cares how you do it one way is not more ethical than the next.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Pilot_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
What feels better to you, shooting on the water or shooting out of the air? I like the challenge of wing shooting. Anyone can point a shotgun at a non-moving target and pull the trigger.

Offline Fishnclifff

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:55 PM »
Like Phil says--- you can't eat em if they are not dead.

I like flying ducks, but
If it real cold and I am close to a limit, or freezing,

No holds barred.
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »

Just like to point out that I thought this was a great answer!!! No ETHICAL/UNETHICAL bs, just a straight to the point and from past experience answer.   :tup:   :tup:

:yeah
I wont shoot a roosting turkey, a floater (duck), or a buck swimming across a lake/river.  Those are personal choices.....oh or an animal doing it.  Just seems wrong to me.  :)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
I personally like wing shooting. It seems more sporting to me. I sluiced a pheasant once and the guy I was hunting with gave me a hard time about it. He said if you're not hunting to literally feed your family, there's no need to make it easier. Made a lot of sense to me. I used to pass shoot geese, too. I don't do that anymore. If they're not coming into a set-up, it's just not very much fun. The exception to that is depredation hunts for farmers in the late season.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
Shoot 'em in the air over the decoys.
It's much more satisfying to know you can hit a bird on the move than one sitting on a pond.
My old hunting partner had decoys with bb's rolling around in them, dead giveaway.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

"I have two lines you should never cross...Horizontal and Vertical"

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
When that goose swims to the river bank, waddles his little butt 10 miles or so to my field, and walks into my decoys- I'll shoot him on the ground. If he flies in, I will give him the courtesy of shooting him in the air...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
It's much more satisfying to know you can hit a bird on the move than one sitting on a pond.
My old hunting partner had decoys with bb's rolling around in them, dead giveaway.

I thought everybody had decoys with shot rolling in them. :dunno:
 I don't think that's always from pasteing swimmers. Its amazing how fast a cripple can dive and dissappear. Pays to shoot 'em quick. Every once in awhile a decoy takes some of the hit.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
I was sitting over dekes once and all of a sudden pop...  smack ZING......  Then again.........   I was like what the heck...... then pop spash by the dekes.   Some poacher was trying to kill the ducks with a .22.  Imagine his surprise.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
I was sitting over dekes once and all of a sudden pop...  smack ZING......  Then again.........   I was like what the heck...... then pop spash by the dekes.   Some poacher was trying to kill the ducks with a .22.  Imagine his surprise.

I was hunting with my dad in a field once.This was back when we used a lot of silo decoys and we had some of them set up around the sides of our blinds to break up the outlines. We were probably 150-200 yards out into a wheat field. There was loud bang and three decoys went flying. I had no idea what was going on. We jumped up out of the blinds asking each other what they were shooting at. Then I saw a white SUV peeling out of the shoulder on the road closest to us. The dbag fired off a round from a rifle from his truck at our dekes. I was so glad he didn't line up on one of the decoys by our blinds...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
I'll shoot them how I can when by myself, if my partner objects, then it is decided beforehand that we won't.  I will shoot at a flyer at a farther distance than a swimmer though because, as mentioned, the pellets seem to go around them.  In defense of water shots, either you kill them or you miss, generally there are none locking up wounded and sailing away.   :twocents:

For those hunting over water, throw a handful of steel 6's in your pocket, they work better for picking up swimming crips than 4's or 2's seem to.

Offline Fishnclifff

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »

I was hunting with my dad in a field once.This was back when we used a lot of silo decoys and we had some of them set up around the sides of our blinds to break up the outlines. We were probably 150-200 yards out into a wheat field. There was loud bang and three decoys went flying. I had no idea what was going on. We jumped up out of the blinds asking each other what they were shooting at. Then I saw a white SUV peeling out of the shoulder on the road closest to us. The dbag fired off a round from a rifle from his truck at our dekes. I was so glad he didn't line up on one of the decoys by our blinds...

There was a kid killed, up north I believe from some *censored* doing that.
Kid didn't come home. They found him in his layout blind.
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »

I thought everybody had decoys with shot rolling in them. :dunno:
 I don't think that's always from pasteing swimmers. Its amazing how fast a cripple can dive and dissappear. Pays to shoot 'em quick. Every once in awhile a decoy takes some of the hit.

Yes it happens. I just like giving him crap.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

There was a kid killed, up north I believe from some *censored* doing that.
Kid didn't come home. They found him in his layout blind.

I've never heard of this before, I hunt from a boat.
It's scary idiots do this.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
Typically only happens to me at LST, or when some Teal come screaming in out of nowhere, but I'll scare them off the water and then shoot.  I won't judge people who shoot them on the water though, whatever floats your boat!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »

One of the Avery guys, I believe had this happen to him up in Canada and was killed by the shot about 4 years back.  I know they have problems with this in our area as well.  Unfortunately one of the parties involved may have gotten a get out of jail card due to who his dad is and who he used to work for.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:37 AM »
I shoot them any way I can, priority one is the freezer.
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Heartsblood

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:22 AM »
Is it a  :bdid: to shoot these ducks or are you one of the guys who chomps-at-the-bit for an easy kill...

:chuckle:
That's darned funny way to set up a discussion!
"Ting-a-ling! Ting-a-ling!"

Offline Green Horn

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
Looks like everyone here likes a challenge. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

Offline birdstew

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
For some of the folks I seen last weekend sky busting would have done better shooting ducks on the water. I like to jump shot if the blind is slow. But always wait until they jump up off water. More target area.

Offline Patarero

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »
Highest percentage shot is in the face, cupped up or overhead.  Water raking is low percentage shot at distance.  Better odds to drop them just after they flush.  To each their own though. 

However, diving cripples get the steel #7 water swat treatment if they have eluded the dogs.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
You know you've done something right if you can kill a limit of birds in your decoys on the water.  I would say 95% of duck hunters could not accomplish that task.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
I have sluiced greenheads when younger and in the past. But now it just doesn't feel right unless they are jumped and on the wing. Don't matter how much I feel like duck dinner tonight,just ain't right unless the bird has a fleeting chance at life. It's like "fair chase - - fair game" :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »

hmm? Do you flock shoot too?
NATURE HAS A WAY

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 02:17:26 PM »

That's hardly a fair comparison.  Shooting a duck on the water is in no way comparable to potentially breaking the LAW by dropping more than a limit's worth of ducks.  Ethics are a personal choice, your are yours, yours are not someone else's.   :bash:    Some people might think it is unethical to shoot at a duck with anything other than a .410, does that make all the 12g hunters unethical??   :dunno:

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

I see your at it again.  Do you ever get sick of stirring the pot?  :chuckle:
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »

That's hardly a fair comparison.  Shooting a duck on the water is in no way comparable to potentially breaking the LAW by dropping more than a limit's worth of ducks.  Ethics are a personal choice, your are yours, yours are not someone else's.   :bash:    Some people might think it is unethical to shoot at a duck with anything other than a .410, does that make all the 12g hunters unethical??   :dunno:

Well he said he shoots them any way he can,just sayin :chuckle:

Flock shooting and sluicing are both legal methods for waterfowl but NOT ethical. I remember the HS instructor pointing this out clearly to the class.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:32:44 PM by singleshot12 »
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
It is darn hard to kill a duck/goose on the water with it's wings folded up covering it's vitals AND most of it's vitals under water. That being said, sport is why I'm hunting waterfowl. Yes, entertainment, period. The meat all gets used in various recipes but if you're hunting ducks strictly for the meat, you need to realize that you're spending about $500.00 per lb after all that gear etc. Go to Top Foods and buy some T Bone steaks instead. Save your money. Besides, shotguns are made for shooting moving targets. That's why they have a projectile that spreads out. My  :twocents:
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline LndShrk

• Cnut the Great
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »

Flock shooting and sluicing are both legal methods for waterfowl but NOT ethical. I remember the HS instructor pointing this out clearly to the class.

let's here your definition of flock shooting.   :dunno:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »

"flock shooting" may lead to an illegal condition of going over limit, sluicing a bird on the water will not lead to an illegal condition, if the bird was a legal one to shoot at in the first place.  Apples to oranges.

Personally, I think most people that shoot at a duck farther than 40 yards away are unethical because they do not have the skill to cleanly kill that bird... so what?  It is not my place to tell you what YOUR ethics should be.  I may choose not to do it, or choose not to hunt with someone who does, but that is as far as my, or your, opinion should go.  Worry about yourself, not me.

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
That thing you be holdin in your right hand will fit in your freezer too.   :chuckle:
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

How many birds does it take to make a flock 5? :dunno: :chuckle: I thought there was only one definition of flock shooting-and that's shooting into a flock of birds sitting of flying and wounding just as much if not more than you retrieve.
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline LndShrk

• Cnut the Great
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »

How many birds does it take to make a flock 5? :dunno: :chuckle: I thought there was only one definition of flock shooting-and that's shooting into a flock of birds sitting of flying and wounding just as much if not more than you retrieve.

So based on that anyone who shoots at a group of birds with 5 or more birds in it is unethical in your view? 

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
absolutely! If you are not picking your bird you are taking a chance at wounding others
NATURE HAS A WAY

Offline MC37493

• Hunter
  • Groups: DU,STS, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 02:18:14 PM »
I always enjoy shooting them in the air, nothing more satisfying then watching a flock of mallards decoy in and your able to fold 3 of them  :tup: but i was up at skagit yesterday and had two teal land about a 100 yards from my dekes i gave them a few peeps and they started swimming towards once they were about 15 yards away i jumped up.. and they just sat there floating i waved my arm at them and they still didnt fly! After waving my arm again i just decided to sluice one and then got the other on the wing.. I would have liked to try and get them both flying but i guess those ducks were committing suicide or something. Also had a mallard come into my dekes when i was standing in the middle of them fixing one. it was an odd day for ducks!

Offline Pilot_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
I think some of you may be referring to sky-busting? Shooting at birds that you know are too high but hoping one will cripple and fall.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]