collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Something in the woods, call or be silent?  (Read 9238 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Something in the woods, call or be silent?
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »
So a little advice...this has happened to me twice so far...but keep in mind, I am not scent locked or anything, but my clothes are not washed with detergent and smell like the outdoors I am sure. I have called on the ole predator call and sure enough, something is coming along in the woods...I usually sit on a stump/log pile and call a tree line. The tree line is generally about 80 or so yards away at least.

I can hear it coming (branches snapping, it is not being quiet), just out of sight...but then it doesnt show (but quietly disappears, as I dont hear it again)...in a situation like that (with the wind going in the correct direction) should I call on the call again, or just wait to see if they show up?

(I ask cause I am new to predator calling) PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE PUT THIS IN GENERAL or something...sorry bout that...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:24:27 AM by saylean »

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Something in the woods, call or be silent?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:27:57 AM »
Are you in a bear area? If the critter came to the call and is not being quite it was likely a bear, they have a habit of hanging up. I would have continued to call, increasing in volume and passion.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
He has probably been shot at before and Billy is right...however here is another thought for you...

Generally with any game, predator or prey animals, they have winded you or spotted you.  Couple things to think about...... generally speaking if they are that close you don't want to call as they will see you way before you see them(don't know how close they are hanging up).  This holds true for most animals above bear.  Many say bear are blind.  Thats a bunch of $HIT.  They have a sense of radar which is incredible.  They (all animals) can come long distance and be spot on where you are at.  When you call when they are that close, they really know where you are and can spot the slightest movement etc.  The other thing is scent.  Don't forget your trail going into your call spot.  Most animals circle to come in down wind.  A trick I use when calling any animal is to have my most open shooting lane just about downwind or quartering from it as that is where I will catch the animal circling to come downwind of me.   Many folks think the opposite and think, awe, I want my best shooting lane opposite.  (This can be true in some circumstances) but anyway......oh the trail....don't foreget that you leave a line of scent when coming to a stand.  An animal will often come across this and hang up if they are wary, or have been shot at before, or are unfamiliar with human scent.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:47 AM »
I was in a bear area and assumed that they were bears (due to the way they were coming in). I guess I will just have to experiment a bit and keep a closer eye on my scent trail/wind more than likely...movements too. Also, of the animals I have called in, I notice that they are looking "ground level" meaning, that when I am up on a log pile, they dont notice instantly when i move slightly, provided I plan it right (they are looking away a bit or walking through brush). Anyway, thanks for the tips both of you. That guy yesterday freaked me out, cause he was close, but due to where I was sitting I couldnt see him...its exciting~! It was kind of a poor spot to call from, but I was trying a new area. Still nice to know something came by to see what the racket was about.

Oh, and this guy yesterday from the sound of it was about maybe 60 yards...he was in a spot where there was a steep hillside that lead down to the tree line (that would place him at about the bottom of the hill where the clear cut met the tree line)...which I couldnt really see without having to walk over there to the edge...again, it wasnt the best spot to choose, but I am a noobie anyways. ;)

And both times the animal(s) either came down wind of me or quartered winded me...you might be on something there. I usually dont worry too much about downwind of me, as I figure something will smell it and bail long before I see/hear them anyways....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:46:27 AM by saylean »

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:17:47 AM »
I wouldn't call in such an open area if you want the bear to come on in.  He probably hung up because they do not like to come out in the open.  Also with bears you are better off calling non-stop.  They tend to stop coming when the calling stops.  I do not call bears the same way I call cats or yotes.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
Thanks for the tip Machias..I will have to work on it. ;)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »
Also you might be suprised how many times does and cows will respond to these calls, they have a strong instinct to come in and protect whatever is screaming.  But normally you will see them as they come rushing in frantically.  Good luck.  :)  Pretty exciting isn't it, thinking a large predator is homing in on your spot, drooling with every step!! :):)
Fred Moyer

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »
Its even more exciting when you don't hear him come in, but turn around and see them standing there 5 feet from you.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
LOL..i got 2 cows to come in day before yesterday...but I knew there was a herd of them in the woods...they walked by before I called, then when i did blow on it...here they come! But then the woods freaking exploded with elk..I knew there was about 6 or so in there (nice 6 pt bull) but man...it was fun to watch (and hear) all the racket. ;)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
First bear I ever called in.  I was calling for about 10 min, looked to my right, slooowly turned and looked left.  He was standing there at 13 yards staring at me.  Never made a sound coming in.  I kept calling and sloooowly raised my .06 and shot him between the eyes.  He was just a tad over 220lbs.  Very dang exciting to say the least!!
Fred Moyer

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »
I would have shat myself....

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 03:52:04 PM »
Can you say SASQUATCH!!!!!!! :chuckle:

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
This is a good thread. I'm new to predator calling and had something just on the fringe of view today breaking twigs and lurking. I was unable to get it to come in. I tried calling more aggressively but it didn't seem to bring that critter in any closer for me. I figure that I was spotted due to me swatting mosquitoes. I can fix that.. Maybe it was the cat I saw yesterday or something else  :dunno:  In the mean time I am going to try again tomorrow morning.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 06:19:57 AM »
Probably wasn't that cat as they tend to be SILENT as all hell.  I hope you get that *censored*.  One less little kitty to eat all of the deer.   I wonder what the cougar count is up to already.  They monitor it to effect the other tags(cougar draw), somehow.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
(Bone beat me to the post)

Cats are usually dead silent. Coyotes don't usually break twigs and will sometimes bark if they bust you.
Probably a deer or a bear.

I usually classify critters three ways if I hear but don't see them.
Small - rabbits, grouse, weasels (believe me, they can be loud when it is bone dry and your senses are on edge)
Medium - deer, coyotes and bobcats. These usually snap twigs and rustle brush.
Large - Elk, bears. These guys break branches and make the brush move.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]